Big Springs Points Race Report

General Bike Talk
Harvey Mushman

Big Springs Points Race Report

#1 Post by Harvey Mushman » Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 am

OK, somebody's gotta put something up here. I line up on the 10 row and there is only 3 other guys. I think, cool, I gotta chance today. I close my eyes to pray to God I'll be able to get outta bed tomorrow. when I open them, there is 8 or 9 guys. For cryin out loud, this is now gonna be like work! My bike ALWAYS starts 1st kick, it takes 4 today. I'm last going into the woods eating the most dust ever. I pass a few guys and go thru the scoring table in 4th after the first lap. I went over the wooden ramp hard line near the storage boxes on my 1st lap with no problem. I kept charging thinking if that stars were aligned properly last night and all goes well, I could back into a 3rd place podium. I snuck up on another 10 and knew I needed to get by him and found a place to get 'er done. I hit the remainder of the 2nd lap hard to hopefully put some distance on him. When I came around to the ramp again I was pretty tired. Not being sure I had enough upper body strength lef to do the wood jump ramp again, I took the long line, (when you get old you gotta make smart choices). I finished the last two laps in 3rd place. I got out of shape in the talcum powder a few times but never crashed which really helps. After I got back to the truck I climbed into the bed and laid there for about 5 minutes until my breathing returned to a semi-normal state. It was a fun day. BS is a great track. Thanks to all for the hard work setting it up.
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...

getdirty

Re: Big Springs Points Race Report

#2 Post by getdirty » Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am

BIG SPRINGS WAS A TON OF FUN! A BIG THANK YOU TO GREG AND PERRY FOR MAKING A GREAT WAY TO SPEND A LONG WEEKEND! No better way to spend a long weekend!!
I started my weekend by getting my son in his first race ever!! He did the oval on Saturday night and did awesome :!: :!: Huge thank you to Perry for loaning my son his mini for the race! I have a son who is now in for racing! I now know what all the other dads feel when they see their sons and daughters out on a bike having fun in the dirt!
Bike left the house running great, thinking I am in for a good race and hoping not to get a bad start and avoid the Oreo cookies. Board drops, wait, GUN FIRES (that was cool in itself) and bike will not start – crap! Finally it fires and I take off knowing I have 17 riders in front of me. Before I make it past the two small jumps at the bottom of the first hill I see a rider along the side kicking his bike. I think, okay – 16 more fenders to look for. Or at least 10 more! I make the first lap with a few issues with dust and not accelerating enough through a turn that was now a powder doughnut waiting to swallow my front wheel, going down twice. I played cat and mouse with one fellow 700 rider that would make a good pass on me then go down, and then he would pass me and go down again. Lap one in 13th – now I need to drink and be thinking of good turns and find a fender to pass. Next laps are mixed with good and bad riding/decisions. The bike is not running worth a junk and I have to kick several times each time I stall the bike. Darn EASY Button was not getting the bike to fire :evil: Only see one rider with his head down along side to slow down and ask if they were okay. Last lap I need to make a lot of ground still being in 11th. Made a bad turn – the one with a shallow creek to the left – and get the front wheel down in the creek. I hop off bike and pull it back on path. I was able to find 3 or 4 fenders in the remaining timeframe and darn if they were not all 800 riders that had past me and were running out of go-go juice. Came across 1 minute behind 8th and the flag was waiving.
Great food and the vendors tent – as always. Good folks to hang with and cannot wait for the next race once I get the bike to run. Looks like it is time to pull the motor and get some work done!
Big Thanks to LETKO for 2015 Sponsorship!

Twenty 15
AARP #1021 KTM

WireFryer

#3 Post by WireFryer » Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Perry and Co.

Outstanding layout, course prep, and marking in the Garden of Eden :shock: set the bar for all other courses!

Had a revealing day!

Tim
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

BSORA

#4 Post by BSORA » Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks to everyone for showing up to run in the dust storm! I had a great time getting to meet even more of the FMHSC racers and their families and friends this weekend.

I have to thank Perry again for another outstanding event! I tried the best I could to keep up with PK for the last week, and I have to admit, I am wore out but it was the most fun I have had in a long time, especially the mini bike race (thanks Ryan for the loaner bike!!). PK is an animal, and I just don't know how he does it, but I am pretty sure you guys are his inspiration.

Thanks also to Dan and family for all the hard work and support while we are going though all these difficulties. I cant say how much I appreciate Dan and FMHSC for sticking with us through all the uncertainty and bad publicity, but the publicity took a real positive turn for us this Memorial Day. Totally professional group of riders and managers, just cant say it enough.

Thanks for all the support from the FMHSC racers. We still have a long road to go to get back to hosting more than one race per year but we are not going to give up. Stay tuned. We are fighting the good fight.

Thanks to Tim for working through the dust and wind on the concessions stand over the weekend. I know a lot of vendors would have packed up and left, but he stayed and kept us fed and hydrated. Hoooah !! to Tim from all us other veterans on Memorial Day!

Great job by all involved. Its a real pleasure and honor to be involved with Forward Motion. You guys are the best!

Greg
Big Springs Outdoor Recreation Area (BSORA)

PK

#5 Post by PK » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 am

I want to thank everyone for spending their Memorial Day Weekend with us. I hope everyone had a good time and thanks for your support.

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-05-27/abo ... ss-event-0

FMHSC made the front page of the Topeka Capital Journal on Monday. Click next to see if you are in any of the pictures...

Also ck out http://www.kansasfirstnews.com/content/ ... 8hMaA.cspx

Thank you!
Perry Keegan

2008 Race of the Year Drexel MO
2010 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2011 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2014 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2017 Race of the Year Heartland Motorsports Park

slomojo

#6 Post by slomojo » Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Good press for Big Springs,and the sport in general.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

tclimber

#7 Post by tclimber » Thu May 31, 2012 6:34 pm

wow almost like being there glad to see everyone had a great time
Finally a two digit number 75 for 2012