Percentiles and move ups etc...

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Percentiles and move ups etc...

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

All through the year I try to watch and make sure the classes stay fair. Most of you are pretty good at moving yourself to the right class. Some have a hard time moving down when they need to but trust me, I am one of you and feel your pain. Sometimes it is just best for the class behind you. So, if all of you would like to police yourself. Take a look at the percentiles page, sort by class, and then see who is way out of their class. Once you get six for the season, you are locked in. This is the only fair way to let an up and coming rider win the season. Move ups are based on accumulating 10 points above your class range. Some races are off a bit so this is just a guideline but it works pretty good. I see a few who could move and I have sent some emails. Let me know if you see someone who is truly to fast. Dont forget, someone has to win.

Here are the rules about all of this. By the way, take note that if you are planning to move up, you have to do it before the last three races. This is to keep folks from getting a two digit in the class they are going to. That is okay if you do it now, just not at the end of the year.

PERCENTILES / CLASS CHANGES:

1. The scoring system allows for categorizing riders into classes based on speed. When a race has been completed the top riders speed may be used. That speed will be the 100% baseline all other riders will be compared to for that race. The average of all completed lap times of all riders will be compared to this 100% to determine every rider’s percentile. Using a simple example; if 100% for that race is a 24 MPH average and a rider’s average speed was 21 MPH then that rider’s percentile is 87.5. This system enables similar speeds to be grouped together.

2. A percentile range has been given to each class name. Class names are unnecessary but used to help riders pick the correct class. After each race, all riders will be evaluated to see if their percentile is in the range for that class. Going above a percentile range is called “breaking out”. To allow for fluctuations, a break out system has been developed. Each breakout point is recognized and stored. When a rider breaks out a total of 10 points, the rider will move up. One example would be a rider who does not enter the correct class and breaks out by 10 points on the first race. A second example would be a rider who breaks out two points over five races. Once a rider has completed seven races, for that season, the rider will remain in that class unless the rider chooses to move up.

3. If a rider is moved up the rider can carry points to the new class. This is done by evaluating the overall results for a given race and then determining where a rider would have finished had they been in that class on that day. An example would be a rider who finished 1st in B and would have finished 4th in A. 4th Place points will be awarded as the carry up points. This is carefully done so that no riders in the upper class are bumped down by the move up and no riders in the lower class move up because of the vacancy. In the example above, the results will now reflect the first place position was vacated and the two 4th place positions in the A class for that race.

4. If a rider is moved down, the points carry in the same fashion. A rider who wants to move down can submit his request to the series official. Percentile results will be evaluated to determine if the rider should be moved. A rider who can not reach the minimum speed for his class can be moved down, after the rider completes a total of three races.

5. A rider cannot voluntarily move up AND carry points during the last three events. A rider can move up and race a class but no points will be carried for those events. Mandatory move ups can be done right up to the last race of the year if needed.

6. If a rider is told to move up and does not do so, the rider will be disqualified for that event and no points will be earned.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

AStevens

Re: Percentiles and move ups etc...

#2 Post by AStevens » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks for all that you do Dan.

With respect to move-ups, in some cases, it sure would be nice to allow some riders who have limited break out points to actually win a race before moving up to the next class. Going from 3rd/4th place finishes in one class to similar finishes in the next class up seems almost akin to moving the goalpost.

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#3 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 am

I do agree but there is a scenario that often occurs where two or three people are too fast for the class and the third place guy never gets his win but he was too fast all along. Winning before you move up sure does feel good though.

Just so you know, there is no goal post in hare scrambles. Just sayin"...
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Do we count the decimals?
For instance let's say a guy has 2.1, 1.8, and a 2.7. What would be the combined total break out points total for this rider? Is it 6.60 (simply adding together), or what? HELP! :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!