Racing / Passing Etiquette

General Bike Talk
hotrodllsc

Re: Racing / Passing Etiquette

#11 Post by hotrodllsc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm

I was behind that guy for quite a while. As soon as you guys came up behind me it was clear you all were WAY faster and not in my class. I moved over as soon as there was an opening. I wasn't so worried about passing him myself since he wasn't in my class and riding just above my pace. I was expecting that he would get over and let you guys by or crash keeping you guys at bay. To my surprise I came back by you guys when you were picking your bikes up. I kept an ear open waiting for you two to catch back up but never heard you guys again. :?
Uphoff #924
Slow and easy.

shredder

#12 Post by shredder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Well I appreciate all the input! I was trying to raise awareness and I'm sure now that we have! It's possible that couldn't read our numbers ...mistaken identity. All our forward motion family is made up of great folks and we keep racing as safe and fun as we can! :wink:
Last edited by shredder on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

hotrodllsc

#13 Post by hotrodllsc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I did notice him looking back when I was behind him and contemplating moving over. I just wouldn't take the opportunity if he gave it to me lol.
Uphoff #924
Slow and easy.

ktm1991

#14 Post by ktm1991 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 pm

On this subject at Merwin their were quite a few faster sweepers and I noticed people panicking to get out of my/our way. It is hard because I feel like I was messing someone up by getting out of the way when I really wasn't wanting by. Is there any ideas to help with this?

Ryan Grun #39
Ryan Grun
2014- #10
2013- #255
2012- #39
Thanks to my sponsors: Cycle Zone, Novik Gloves, Spy Optics, Answer Racing, Motorcycle Closeouts, Arnone's Lawn Care and My Mom and Dad.

PK

#15 Post by PK » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 am

Slow down and sweep.
Perry Keegan

2008 Race of the Year Drexel MO
2010 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2011 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2014 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2017 Race of the Year Heartland Motorsports Park

WireFryer

#16 Post by WireFryer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 pm

ktm1991 wrote:On this subject at Merwin their were quite a few faster sweepers and I noticed people panicking to get out of my/our way. It is hard because I feel like I was messing someone up by getting out of the way when I really wasn't wanting by. Is there any ideas to help with this?

Ryan Grun #39
Ahhh, Young Mr. Grun has touched on a pet peeve of most
Vets... a fast mover sweep rider letting you by, only to haunt your back fender for the next lap.

We got our ears wide open for anything coming up behind us, and a hugging sweep rider screws that all up! I applaud you for bringing this up because it does need to be addressed 8) .

You may actually be the 'vest' that watched me go by at mile 2.5 and then got on me like a bored Ex-Wife.... my hand gestures and the brake-check finally got you in front of me.

As PK says.. SLOW DOWN AND SWEEP!. Treat it like an amusing trail ride that somehow turned into a dogfight, work on your Wattsy skills, channel your inner trials rider.... but Please Don't affect the Outcome of the Race that is happening under YOUR CARE :wink: .

Your there to help downed riders, coordinate rescues, fix the markings, and sweep the course after the show to assure no one is left out there after the checkered flys.

Now... on to Mr. 900 Kawi rider.

You're new to the Series, and ya' don't know me from Adam... but if some bedraggled ol' Vet waves you to the gravy line on a right hander and yells "GOGoGo!" as you make the pass (while neither one of us lose a second in the process 8) ).... don't EVER do what you did...., again.

The outcome will not be the same.

Tim
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

ktm1991

#17 Post by ktm1991 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am

I hope that wasn't me I was trying to be as courteous as possible and stay out of the way and just cruise. But you still come up on people.
Ryan Grun
2014- #10
2013- #255
2012- #39
Thanks to my sponsors: Cycle Zone, Novik Gloves, Spy Optics, Answer Racing, Motorcycle Closeouts, Arnone's Lawn Care and My Mom and Dad.

matt.smith

#18 Post by matt.smith » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed this thread. This comes up several times a year, and is so common I'm not sure why someone that would know better would encourage the finger pointing. Keeping things generalized are a much better way to go about getting the message across. Keeping things generalized you'll have people reading it and think "oh, was that me? I'll be more aware next time." but by pointing the finger at a specific rider you are letting the everyone else off the hook because hey, that's not my number, I must be doing things right. No one needs extra attention targeted to them on race day and people calling them out like this. And this is exactly what this series needs, more people feeling unwelcome and deciding to leave it and run the other series. Congratulations, go ahead and throw one more fluff race on the schedule to make up for the low turnouts.

Enough of that tangent, back to the passing. We all know you're in a race. Everyone is out there racing their own race. Whether they are going for a win, or they're trying there best to make it X many laps or make the top half of their class, whatever their goal is they have their own race and they're doing what they can to achieve. The most you can ask of someone out there is to yield a bit to let you make the pass. Pulling over and stopping is unnecessary and wrong. If anything that's when the passed riders should have their helmets slapped, keep the momentum going, keep in your race, let the passer know that you know they are there and you aren't going to take them out. If you can, give them extra room. If not, maintain your line, so they can take an alternate line around. Both will burn less energy and waste less time.

It can be rough in a short course split race, more so than a single race with a long course. The 600-back group has a wide range of rider speeds, experience, and abilities. In a full race the whole field gets a chance to see where the AA and A riders make a pass. Often that will be in places that you wouldn't think would even be possible. Seeing those lines you can mimic them and nearly always find a way to make the pass. In the split race, the majority of the racers don't get the opportunity to be shown those lines, but they still exist. So, rather than singling out riders, take it as an opportunity to improve your line awareness and your passing ability.

Figuring out how to make the pass is just as much a part of this as knowing when to yield to the passer.
2012 Husqvarna WR300
2013 Tentative Schedule

slomojo

#19 Post by slomojo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 am

I agree with Matt.We all need to work to make passing riders in other classes as easy as possible.I remember years ago in a similar thread someone was describing how a certain rider was not letting other classes by and riding in a stupid manner.Then it dawned on me that I was the rider he was talking about.I felt so bad I wanted to quit.I am sure glad my number wasn't mentioned or I probably would have.In my case I had all I could do to keep the bike on 2 wheels with the condition I was in,I was tired and honestly oblivious to what was going on around me.Maybe those other riders were too.I'm not trying to make excuses just illustrating the other side.

I think it would help if this issue was written up and included in the information section for all riders not just first time riders.There are some more experienced riders that race riders that are not in their class.

I know there are probably still times I am less than graceful when yielding to a faster rider,but I try.

If a rider comes up on me fast I let them by even if they're in my class.If I pick up the pace I risk wrecking and they pass me anyway,and I'm only holding them up.They could maybe catch the guy in front of me that I can't catch and ought to have the chance.

If they come up on me slow I pick up the pace a little and if they stay close and are a different class I give them the pass.Then I can resume the pace that I was at if I want or need to.If they're in my class and I know they're faster than me I let them by and try to stay close to them to speed up my pace as long as I can.

There are a few guys that are about the same speed as me and that's where the fun is.
Dennis,you come from 1 minute behind me so you get the lead you just better get out of my way.

I think we have a great series and I like to see big turn outs.Every one just needs to keep their eyes and ears open and only race those in their class.

Sweepers in my opinion should bring up the rear,keep the go fast for the race.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#20 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Took Matt's advice and removed the references to other riders. Come see me any time this happens and I will take it up with the rider. I will have some more to say on this later. It really isnt that hard to just make a little room. If that rider and not in your class than there is no choice, let them go. If they are in your class, then block away if you so choose.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!