Racing / Passing Etiquette

General Bike Talk
KTM_rookie

Re: Racing / Passing Etiquette

#21 Post by KTM_rookie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 pm

I just read through this thread again and didn't see where anyone asked that a rider getting passed should pull over and stop. In fact, I'll go ahead and say it, "please do not pull over and stop". That can be dangerous. Just yield a bit when you can safely do so. I do it all the time. When I can, I point to where I want them to go around me. I don't want someone riding my butt. If they caught me, they're faster than me. I let them by as soon as I safely can, then watch them disappear and I don't lose any time.

Maybe Dan's suggestion was wrong but in my case with #603, it was hashed out and it's all good. Water under the bridge...
Jason

shredder

#22 Post by shredder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm

It is refreshing to see the message board light up again...Boy we get some mileage outta this thing don't we?

[quote="slomojo"]
Dennis,you come from 1 minute behind me so you get the lead you just better get out of my way.

That's my point Joe! I don't have to "get out of your way".
First of all if I've came from a minute behind you and I'm in front of you then I've already passed you at least once.
Second "I don't have to get out of your way" as ANYONE that overtakes me quickly I wave on by. All the guys who have passed me the this year and said "thank you" can attest to this.

I'm not saying "stop", "slow down" or even "move over. Heck block all you want - that's racing! I am saying that if you want to block another racer and raise the stakes so to speak then accept the wrath you may bring upon yourself. I wanted anyone who may not be aware that holding back everyone who wants to pass you can be exhausting and it's our choice. Just say "you may not pass" (sorry Picard) and IT'S GAME TIME BRO!
I will step up to that gauntlet every time!

The purpose of this thread was to raise awareness to those who may not know (as I once was - new and confused and not sure how the whole passing thingy was supposed to go till I watched the fast guys do it) that sometimes just racing the guys in your own class can double your fun!

It is unfortunate when a crash happens unnecessarily.
I think we should all respect and treat the other racers as you want them to treat you.
(Hmmmmm why does that sound familiar?) :wink:

PS - Andy, where did you say the goal posts are? Dan told me that the goal post were next to the line of spinach, I think... :shock:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

slomojo

#23 Post by slomojo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 pm

shredder wrote:It is refreshing to see the message board light up again...Boy we get some mileage outta this thing don't we?
slomojo wrote:
Dennis,you come from 1 minute behind me so you get the lead you just better get out of my way.

That's my point Joe! I don't have to "get out of your way".
First of all if I've came from a minute behind you and I'm in front of you then I've already passed you at least once.
Second "I don't have to get out of your way" as ANYONE that overtakes me quickly I wave on by. All the guys who have passed me the this year and said "thank you" can attest to this.

I'm not saying "stop", "slow down" or even "move over. Heck block all you want - that's racing! I am saying that if you want to block another racer and raise the stakes so to speak then accept the wrath you may bring upon yourself. I wanted anyone who may not be aware that holding back everyone who wants to pass you can be exhausting and it's our choice. Just say "you may not pass" (sorry Picard) and IT'S GAME TIME BRO!
I will step up to that gauntlet every time!

The purpose of this thread was to raise awareness to those who may not know (as I once was - new and confused and not sure how the whole passing thingy was supposed to go till I watched the fast guys do it) that sometimes just racing the guys in your own class can double your fun!

It is unfortunate when a crash happens unnecessarily.
I think we should all respect and treat the other racers as you want them to treat you.
(Hmmmmm why does that sound familiar?) :wink:

PS - Andy, where did you say the goal posts are?
What I meant was that I will give you the lead every time,just don't slow me down.

As far as your gauntlet goes next year I will be in your class and I look forward to doing battle with you fine sir!
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

shredder

#24 Post by shredder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Oh! One more thing! If you have never done so, try this...
The next time we all race together and your smacking it down and your going so fast that you just know the decals are going to just blow off your bike and a fast guy just zips up on you anyway like your standing still and you hear the WHOOOP!

Do like Babe Ruth did and just point to where you want them to go and I'll bet they will do it! It's cool as hell and really puts you in the drivers seat! OK you three over here...OK you two over there...Yes sir you go right through there. (they even thank you sometimes for bossing them around!) hee hee :wink:
Last edited by shredder on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shredder

#25 Post by shredder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Man I miss you so much Joe! I didn't know racing till I banged bars with you dude...

Crap we still only have three pages on this! I had a fiddy that says we were going to do no less than four pages.
Last edited by shredder on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

slomojo

#26 Post by slomojo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm glad you started this thread,I think it should be discussed more often so that every one knows who is racing who.It would make every ones' race better. :)
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

WireFryer

#27 Post by WireFryer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Ol' Shredder... He's a machine, ain't he? :wink:

Hehehe!
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

MadManMoto

#28 Post by MadManMoto » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:57 am

Its been many moons since I posted on this discussion forum, but I have always enjoyed this particular discussion. One thing that everybody MUST keep in mind is, that to the lesser experienced rider, and obvious spot that I see to pull over, may seem like an impossible task to him. To many of the riders in the higher class numbers, it is simply a chore to make it around some of these loops upright on the marked trail, paying attention to the arrows and clutch and throttle etc etc etc.....so, when I come upon a slower rider, I try to always invision the trail in the same frame of mind as the person I am passing. Not to mention that sometimes we all get tunnel vision and simply may miss a prime opportunity.

However, I too have experience with the "lapper who wouldn't move"...I was in a very, very muddy westphalia race in the MO series one day. On lap two I caught a slower rider, but he was good enough on the bike to navigate the sloppy conditions fairly easy. After whooping and hollering and revving for about a mile and a half I grew restless. Finally, I saw my spot! The trail forked around a tree in the middle of a left turn. He took the outside. I hammered the gas on the inside line, and low and behold....HE GASSED IT HARDER AROUND THE OUTSIDE! we came together when the trail came together and I got mashed into a tree which mashed him up. He ended up underneath his bike. I got up, asked this guy if he was ok, to which he replied yes, but I could use some help getting this bike off me......in hindsight I probably should have helped him get the bike off, but I really wasn't seeing things in that frame of mind at that point.

But seriously, keep in mind the skill level of those you are trying to get around, and reallize that even moving to the edge of the trail can be a very unnerving thing for the lesser experienced guys....
Rich Dawson
2016 YZ450FX

shredder

#29 Post by shredder » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:51 am

Very very good point! I will remember that. This thread has done a lot of good. Thanks for posting your 2 cents guys, I appreciate it. :wink:

shredder

#30 Post by shredder » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:29 pm

After spending the entire weekend racing at El Dorado the passing went well for me! How about you guys? I apologized to the rider we started to single out and I told them that I wanted to raise awareness not to upset anyone or make an example of anyone. I wanted to stop unnecessary pressure that could cause crashes that's all. They looked at me and didn't have a clue what I was talking about...Oh they said - don't go online anyway...

On another note as I was walking through the pits this weekend I couldn't believe all the guys who pulled me aside and said that they appreciated that I started this thread in the first place.

We all came out winners guys and a lot of good insights came out.
I guess it's what that one guy says
It's all good! :wink: