when do i know the little guy is ready for racing?

General Bike Talk
DEA

when do i know the little guy is ready for racing?

#1 Post by DEA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 am

I have decided to reach out to the FM group for answers....my son turned five in november, he has been riding on a PW 50 since just before he turned 4. but im still unsure or not if he is ready for some racing action i dont really want to just feed him to the wolves. id hate to loose a riding partner so soon. So the litte S### amazes me everytime he does anything whether it be riding a bicycle, dirt bike, or his skateboard. he definatly has natural abilitys when it comes to those types of things, kinda pees me off a little. when did you guys feel comfortable letting your kids race? Im not sure and the wife say what ever you think is best, so that means im wrong no matter what. im not new to the sport at all ive been riding for about 20 yrs now racing for 14 ish give or take a few. thanks for the help!
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Re: when do i know the little guy is ready for racing?

#2 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

Jadan is 15 and Grayson is 12 and I am not comfortable yet! The way we set those up, it is pretty safe and laid back so just about any time. You can follow him on a pit bike or big bike for that matter. I would say 6 or older based on what I have observed over time.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Pumpkinpatch

#3 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am

Iamdanjohnson wrote:Jadan is 15 and Grayson is 12 and I am not comfortable yet! The way we set those up, it is pretty safe and laid back so just about any time. You can follow him on a pit bike or big bike for that matter. I would say 6 or older based on what I have observed over time.
Ditto..........
I get more nervous when Lauren and Jared are on the bike than at any other time.
I think Jared was 7 or so. Lauren was older.
We had a PW80 at that time.
The auto clutch helps that first year or so. They can roll about any obstacle.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

Martinbrosracing

#4 Post by Martinbrosracing » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 am

my son mason (who is now 7 and riding pee wee big bike) started by just riding practice at the pee wee races at 4. we did this for the just a few, too give him a feel of it. it worked out great, no looking back. hope this helps.

DEA

#5 Post by DEA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:53 am

Thanks for your responses guys, might have to try just letting him run practice at a few of the races and let him make the decision that day.
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

MXHSRACER

#6 Post by MXHSRACER » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 am

Let me share our story about our son. He is 13 now has had a bike off and on since he was four. We started with a PW50,(4 years old) to a XR50 , to a KX65( 8 years old) he never did anything more that play ride on all three for the most part. We just let him do what he wanted to do and ride when he wanted to, never pushed him to race or anything. We moved and had a place to ride of our own and got a TTR110 to play around, built him a little mx track and 6 months later he was abusing that TTR, he also has always looked like he's older than he is and could be on a bigger bike.

So he said he wanted to race, we got a RM85 and raced motocross for two years, he did great!!! Having your own place to ride make a huge difference on riders skill

So then we got to a Honda 150 R big wheel, he hated it, did not want to ride, so again did not force it!!!

Its now 2 years later, and he was asking to ride again, so I said lets give HS a shot, He is back on a 2 stroke which he loves, and will see how this season goes

So in short, because I love dirt bikes and could not have one as a kid, I have giving him every chance to ride, but never force him to, just let him do what he wants and has asked to do
KTM 150 XC

cantkeepup

#7 Post by cantkeepup » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 pm

I agree. Do it without any pressure. Ryan just rode the practice rounds at the Springfield enduro cross tonight. He has been on me to let him race since last season when he was four and went with me to a hare scramble. Ryan is 5 and rides a pw50. He did great tonight but didn't want to ride the main race because his bike couldn't make it over the obstacles. I didn't put any pressure on him and he talked all the way home about his next chance to race. Can't wait for the hs pee wee so he can come play.
#720 250xcf

cantkeepup

#8 Post by cantkeepup » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 pm

I agree. Do it without any pressure. Ryan just rode the practice rounds at the Springfield enduro cross tonight. He has been on me to let him race since last season when he was four and went with me to a hare scramble. Ryan is 5 and rides a pw50. He did great tonight but didn't want to ride the main race because his bike couldn't make it over the obstacles. I didn't put any pressure on him and he talked all the way home about his next chance to race. Can't wait for the hs pee wee so he can come play.
#720 250xcf

DEA

#9 Post by DEA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 am

That is the approach ive taken, is let him decide for himself. Today he says he wants to race. So i may just go ahead and let him. thats all he talks about is riding and racing just like dad. I guess watching dirtwise and other dirtbike movies while he was an infant paid off. He already has a sense of good taste in motorcycle manufactures, he started on the PW 50 and constantly asked when he was getting a KTM.