Milford pre race report?

General Bike Talk
Speedysdad

Milford pre race report?

#1 Post by Speedysdad » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Is the lake up, will they be starting on the beach? What should we expect? Anyone been over there this Spring? We have had races there when it was so cold the ice wasn't cleared off the water yet. Raced when it got so hot that the fuel tank lids were popping off from expansion. I have seen racers break bikes in half. I am curious what you guys have in store for us spectators this year?
Jim Wright
(Retired)

SCORVA

Re: Milford pre race report?

#2 Post by SCORVA » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

I have no idea were Dan will start the race but I can say that there is an enormous amount of shoreline right now.....the lake is six feet below average levels right now.
At the north end of the orv riding area along the lakes edge there is a posted sign for the end of orv area. Don't let the huge amount of open shoreline lure you or your buddies beyond the boundaries of the park as there's a $700.00 fine for those caught outside of posted area.
I've been out cutting downfall for the last three days with the awesome weather we've been having. Soil conditions are great!!
Met up with the Slawsons today out there and Mark reported an area in the south end as having a tall drop off, so be careful when riding the trails near the waterline.
Sounds like colder temps moving in for the weekend again....typical springtime racing weather at Milford again!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"

Speedysdad

#3 Post by Speedysdad » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:48 pm

What is the forecast for snow there late this week? I hear 3-5 inches here in KC.
Jim Wright
(Retired)

Thumper12

#4 Post by Thumper12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm in Manhattan and it's raining/snowing pretty hard here now. I rode out there on Sunday, and it was still very greasy. ot bad out in the open where the sun shines. It will be a very greasy race if they have it. 50% chance of rain/snow mix every day through Sunday, and highs in the 30's.

SCORVA

#5 Post by SCORVA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Going out on a limb here but pretty confident that Dan will run the race on the south end.....conditions are not greasy but primo in this area for racing. Conditions on the north end in some shaded areas could be considered "greasy" as this is common on that side, in low lying areas after we've received precipitation.

The snow was but momentary!
There is a chance of rain or snow for later in the week with cooler temps...I think the highs were to be around the 30's for thursday, friday, and saturday but sunday shows a forecast of sunny with temps. in the low 40's.
Typical spring race conditions for Milford but that south end holds up well because of the high sand/gravel subsoil.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"

KTM SLIM KARL

#6 Post by KTM SLIM KARL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm

:? Man I have raced out there when we where breaking ice do it!!
that is why they call it off road racing what do you all want black top!!
Just me talking I will ride any time and I have :wink:
IT IS THE LOVE OF OFF ROAD RACING THAT DRIVES ME AND MY INTENTIONS ARE CLEAR
IS THAT I LIVE FOR THE MOMENT I AM NOT AFRAID TO FAIL
I WOULD RATHER FAIL MAGNIFICENTLY THEN FAIL TO TRY
Mo, MX #750
FMHSC#1050
2011 KTM 350 sxf
1980 KTM 250 mx

1twistedthrottle

#7 Post by 1twistedthrottle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm all for racing in this weather, but I don't want to trash my bike with salt getting it there? If the forcast is right will there be a race? I know Milford is real sandy and will probably soak up a lot.. As Willie says "Sitting Here In Limbo"
2005 Gas Gas DE250
1974 Honda XR 75
1971 Honda SL 350 with big bore and cams
2004 Harley Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic

cr250rwalker

#8 Post by cr250rwalker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:28 am

Karl thats the best post ive read in awhile lol. I guess ima buy me some street tires an carry in my trailer for back up