Walters Ranch

General Bike Talk
shredder

Walters Ranch

#1 Post by shredder » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 pm

OK boys and girls let's here about the mud, the blood and the beer.

Little known fact...Did you know that Dan gets all the Walters Ranch rocks shipped in from the rock Quarry next to Big Springs?

That's right he had over 42 semi loads shipped in and has no less than 76 boy scout troops hand lay each one on specific numbered locations laid out on a GPS map and the next weekend they are all returned... The scouts earn a CDL license, map reading, topography, community service and surveyor merit badges. Who knew each rock was sized, examined for roundness or squareness, weighed and measured, numbered and hand laid for our enjoyment!

BRAAAP!
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

aferb360

Re: Walters Ranch

#2 Post by aferb360 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:10 am

HOLY TEN TONS OF FUN

I have always been a fan of chadwick, never given any thought to racing on the rocky stuff, but I had an absolute blast, knowing it was going to hurt to wreck, I backed it off a few clicks to keep from tackling boulders and what nots. The mile long mud rut was not that fun but hey that's racing!

Absolutely awesome call to run this race this weekend, it swallowed the rain better than any track ever could, and hats off to all the workers who stuck it out the rainy sunday am just so we can all come out and have fun, Awesome group to race under!!
Austin Ferbert #493
Husqvarna WR 360

Watch out i have no idea what im doing!

Btrigg88

#3 Post by Btrigg88 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 am

It was a great day! One of the tougher races for sure. Here's the first 10mins from a slower guys perspective. Camera worked good until it became too packed with mud to function. I can't say I'm excited to run that again in two weeks, but I will be there.

https://vimeo.com/68019880
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

bmxpro2621

#4 Post by bmxpro2621 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Great race with the rain before it. Turned out great. Rocks were great..... when not wet that is lol. Cant wait for the next race. definitely going to be running the trials tire next time. Washougals get torn to shreds there. Whew!
A Big Thanks To All My Sponsors:

Heavy D's Exhaust Repair, Kenda Tires, Amsoil, O'Neal, ODI Grips, Scott Goggles, Gaerne, Powersports Graphx & Suspension, Bell Helmets, GoPro, Sealsavers, Shorai LFX Lithiuim Batteries, Twin Air, IMS Products, Leatt, JT Sprockets

MORE #210
MHSC#130
HBGP #410
30+B NEPG

motoracr199

#5 Post by motoracr199 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:04 am

So that's what a work average feels like. Not the biggest fan of the super rocky stuff (cause I stink at it,) so I tried my hand at doing a work average.

It started out pretty good. Started after the 600's to get a glimpse of my competition in two weeks. Well everyone was hauling! I kind of ran hard for the first mile or so, then fell back into a putting mode. Went up to the first "rock test" and saw there was plenty of help there so I went on to look for that big uphill Dan was talking about.

Came up to the section I was looking for and actually made a fake pass on a guy to the side of the main trail! Even though I wasn't racing, it felt good to feel like Kaliub Russel, blazing off trail and passing everyone (well one person) and all that.

I wondered if the aforementioned hill was going to cause trouble for some of the riders. Didn't see anyone stuck but wanted to be there just in case. Glad I stayed. Got a really good workout helping those in need! #2birds1stone

It was exciting to be "in the action." Some just needed a little push and others had to get gathered and I offered some strategic line choices :wink:

Ran into Lauren Schafer and discovered she has a rekluse, definitely a good idea if you decide to stop on a steep hill! Also helped a guy on a Kawasaki whose bike was billowing white smoke, couldn't tell what it was but I ran into this same guy later on and his chain had come off the sprocket in such a weird way. I've never seen rocks used to FIX a bike but that's the method that worked. Better luck to you next time Kawasaki dude, Hope you still had a fun time.

Came around my first lap with about 5 min to go. Figured I'd get a head start on the sweep and try to put in a "good lap" Came across a AA rider that had been stuck since the first lap. He said he had been pushing it for a while and he was so relieved to actually have someone there to help. I was only sorry I hadn't got there quicker, it was hot Sunday for sure. Spent the rest of the time looking for the firefighters that were helping pull everyone back with their big quads, only to go back to check on him to find out they were already there, oh well. At least I gave a good estimate I hope.

That's it for this little recap :shock: At least I know wirefryer will read it. Sorry I didn't mention any names, but I honestly can't remember. Good to see everyone in the pits. Hopefully the practice I got will help me in two weeks.

Until then...
Last edited by motoracr199 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Stewart
Thanks to Dunlop, AXO, Dragon, and Fly Racing

Speedysdad

#6 Post by Speedysdad » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 am

wow, kind of disappointing on the race reports with the interesting track conditions.

Collin and I rode down with David Gardner and it was raining when we got there. It stopped about an hour before the race started. I picked up a new tire and was going to mount it up before the race, but elected to run the trials tire instead. Collin went into the woods third and held third all day. I watched the corner at scoring get greasy as the first riders came in. I was afraid Collin was going to stop at scoring, throw his bike down, and come after me for putting on that trials tire. I would have, but he toughed it out and was able to hold his ground.

Collin got the monkey off his back by having a good race and not leaving there in a helicopter. Every time he left a race riding with Gardner he ended up getting hurt.

Pumpkinpatch

#7 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Speedysdad wrote:Collin got the monkey off his back by having a good race and not leaving there in a helicopter. Every time he left a race riding with Gardner he ended up getting hurt.
David has that effect on people. :lol:

Was great to see everyone.
And, didn't hurt my feelings to have tough conditions on a nice challenging course!
Old and decrepit was masked by the slow speeds and technical terrain.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

ktm1991

#8 Post by ktm1991 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 pm

When we pulled up it was still raining hard and wa wishing I would have stayed at home! But once the rain stopped it turned out to be a good day and the trail wasn't that bad. After the first lap it was survival mode for the next 3 laps. Just want to give Dan a big thanks for putting on the race last minute glad to see there was decent turn out for it.

Ryan Grun #255
Ryan Grun
2014- #10
2013- #255
2012- #39
Thanks to my sponsors: Cycle Zone, Novik Gloves, Spy Optics, Answer Racing, Motorcycle Closeouts, Arnone's Lawn Care and My Mom and Dad.

shredder

#9 Post by shredder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Well OK, I'll put a little seasoning on it too...

Pulled in Friday after lunch with my wife Stacey as she already took the day off for Warrensburg and we celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary, her birthday and got away. Dan and crew were already out blazing trails. We rode the place carving out a race and it's tougher that it looks. Stacey enjoyed learning how it starts. It's easy to get turned around and you dont want paths crossing each other (although that would be exciting for the spectators.) We were beat around 5:00 or so and headed back to camp and only got it started. Sunday Dan, the boys and someone else worked all day in the heat and got everything connected, tweaked and flowing. Stacey and I played in the creeks with the ATV's had had a blast.

Sunday morning - rain, then it cleared off, cool. Got a decent start and not a bad first lap. About halfway through the first lap I'm getting my groove back. As I climb the loose rocky hills my bike is unstoppable. I'm sure it's all my skills because I could stop for downed riders and just take off again and even rode a wheelie the rest of the way up! Cool! Now that I know that I am bullet-proof I go after that green Kawasaki in the seniors as he is looking greasy and I'm sticking like glue. He goes down and I pass easily. I decide to put some icing on the cake and HAMMER the throttle and grab a huge handfull.

Well now that's when my rear wheel takes off to the right and points my bike to the left right into a tree. I hear someone grunt on the tree impact and again when I hit the ground...HMMM... I get up , bike still running and blast off HARD! Tried to wheelie....smelled burned rubber from someone and as I throttle up WHAMMM! same damn thing...HARD LEFT AGAIN! needless to say the KAW blasts right past as I (being the last person to figure this puzzle out) realize the rear is flat. as long as I had a rut, berm or rocky uphill I was cool but when I hit that awesome flat wide open area to take a rest and feel the breeze...well I was turning left again. Did another face-plant into a tree and after lap two I got off to see how bad it was and with help from others decided to not tear up that rim too. I was using up energy way too fast anyway and only had control half the time. I was a god in some sections and an idiot in others. By the way I think it was rider 265 that was making a pass on two other dudes when I waved him by on my left. Then I throttled up and just plain old hit him as he went by. He must of seen my flat tire already or he just figured I was drunk because when I yelled out "sorry!" he was totally cool about it. I tried to help out and almost took us both out!
Man I wanted that Kawasaki so bad!!! Another day my friend, another day. :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

bmxpro2621

#10 Post by bmxpro2621 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Shredder,

How are you liking that 310? I seen you had a flat tire? IDK if you heard about doing this or not but man oh man it works freaking great! I use the hillbilly innertube protection system lol. Put the old flat innertube over the new one, wrap duct tape over it to help hold it on and put it in. I run my tires at 11 PSI like that and haven't had a flat since then. Couldn't believe that it worked. I am SOLD on it. Some people complain that its too heavy to do that, but I am not trying out for the olympics or anything lol. I dont notice it at all either. :)
A Big Thanks To All My Sponsors:

Heavy D's Exhaust Repair, Kenda Tires, Amsoil, O'Neal, ODI Grips, Scott Goggles, Gaerne, Powersports Graphx & Suspension, Bell Helmets, GoPro, Sealsavers, Shorai LFX Lithiuim Batteries, Twin Air, IMS Products, Leatt, JT Sprockets

MORE #210
MHSC#130
HBGP #410
30+B NEPG