Walters 2 Race Reports

General Bike Talk
shredder

Re: Walters 2 Race Reports

#21 Post by shredder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 pm

YALL are supposed to be enjoying the human side of this story...pushing ones self beyond all limits, getting by Joe at the last moment or battle of the century and all that crap. Instead we are actually arguing (well I am anyway) which nut it was. You guys are nuts!

Come on even the girls in the sign up trailer as well as ALL the pee wees know what a pain in the ass Joe is to pass especially on rocky uphills and single track at Walter"! Just ask Devon Turley about the hay bales, ask Steve Houton what a pain in the ass to pass Joe can be, ask me about being on the outside line on a 12' drop off at Merwin...yup the dude is a BEAST! (on the track) If Joe wasn't exhausted he wouldn't have slid over like he did cause I know he knew it was me and hell was a coming with me. I'm just glad he will never know that I shot everything I had to make that pass and make it look like I could do it all day, only to smash it up 45 seconds later..... yup

Well if it matters I offered the brand new axle nut and adjuster block to Brad as an offering of gratitude and his bike is so pristine looking I figured let him have the brand new parts still in the plastic baggy, all good and proper and such....OK?

OK. OK. Alright! Yes it is just because it's sweltering hot outside and I'm too damn lazy to get Brads nut off again only to have to put on a new one! (crap...that still sounds wrong...dang it...) OR. It could be because I have so much tree bark, mud, dirt, twigs, leaves and moose poop jammed into the axle and nut-block and the fact that my bike slid as much on it's sides as it did on it's tires the nut and block look like the side of a car Dale Earnhardt put into the wall. I'm trying to see the good side of things - OK?
SHEESH! :oops:
Last edited by shredder on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Ed M

#22 Post by Ed M » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 pm

First off I want to say thanks to everyone involved in putting on this race. With Walters Ranch being as big as it is you never really know what the setup crew will be throwing at you. So many trails and so many routes, it was good to see a couple of new sections being cut in on the practice loop, and as usual those pesky rock ledges are always in the mix.

Things got interesting starting at the entrance to the ranch, when we handed the young gate keeper $20 for the gate fee for two riders and he asked if we wanted change back. Now I don't mind tipping for good service but making change and passing around a clip board does not make for a $10 tip.

The next interesting moment was when I was unloading my bike and noticed that I had very little to no front brake, kind of important but I figured since I haven't ridden much lately the plan was to get in a couple of laps and not get overheated in the process. I wouldn't sweat the front brake issue.

Practice went well, almost got off course in the first half mile, but the crew was there putting new ribbon across the trail pointing us to fresh new trail that was slowly getting burned in. If you've never been to Walters it is hard to explain the numerous elevation changes, creek sections, rock beds, and loamy dirt that awaits. It is a fun place to ride.

As for the race, during the first lap I went down at the first set of rock ledges, then again later where there was a thin wet layer of mud on a very large flat rock that got me. Sometime late in the first lap I discovered that my front brakes were working perfectly ( I like em like a light switch, quick on or quick off - very touchy)
On my second lap I had settled in made it through the rock ledges and could feel that I had picked up the pace quite a bit. Somewhere around the 6 mile mark or so a couple of riders passed me then one clipped a stump and crashed across the trail. I had two choices one was to jump his bike like a log or help the rider. So I parked my bike and asked the guy if he was ok. He assured me he was but kept talking and walking circles around the bike. He seemed a bit confused and since the bike was laying across the trail I went ahead and picked up his bike, and got it situated so that he could get back on and get going. As he left I noticed my heart rate was way up and that I was having some trouble catching my breath. At this point I decided to take off the helmet, chest protector and camel back to get more airflow. After awhile a nice young lady that was a chase rider poured some water out of my camelback onto my head and neck which helped me to cool down. I sat there for awhile giving numerous thumbs up to other riders so they would know all was good. After about 40 minutes I decided to finish the lap instead of riding out. I was 13th after lap one, and was 13th after an extremely long lap two. Thanks to all that stopped to check on me, and Dennis if you hadn't stopped and been so damned chatty you would have beat Joe by at least four minutes :mrgreen: Milford - really??? C'mon man at least get the state right
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

shredder

#23 Post by shredder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Ok Ed I am impressed and intrigued with your Sunday show performance. I only get the bikini girl pouring water on my forehead and back of my neck mirage when the temps hit 102 degrees Fahrenheit and the winds are 0 to 5 mph and I've burned in 4 laps! You got to let me know what your diet was before and during the race, all meds, alcohol, possible paint fumes you might have came in contact with as well as any recreational drugs that might help out...

psssst...We riders call her the trail genie: :mrgreen: wink:

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Jason g

#24 Post by Jason g » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am

My % was lower and I know I was ridding faster what gives.
I prayed for an old, wise angel who fly's faster than I ride. 2005 yz 250// 2000 cr 500// 2007 rmz 450// 2008 ktm 300// 2013 ktm 300 xcw.

motoracr199

#25 Post by motoracr199 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 am

The winner rode faster too!
David Stewart
Thanks to Dunlop, AXO, Dragon, and Fly Racing

Ed M

#26 Post by Ed M » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Anyone know if the arrows are still up? I'm looking to go back on Sunday morning and get a few more laps in.....
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

shredder

#27 Post by shredder » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Anyone know if the arrows are still up? I'm looking to go back on Sunday morning and get a few more laps in.....

DOOH! :shock:

Dear Mr. Morris,
It has come to our attention that apparently you have hit your head much worse that we first thought. Please come back to the hospital ER immediately so we can examine your head more thoroughly. If you find yourself in a state of confusion or start talking to trail genie's again call 911 on your cell.
Get out your phone.
Push the number 9.
Push the number 1.
Push 1 again.
Wait for a moment and talk to the nice trail genie on the phone and tell her where your at so she can come and pick you up. :wink:

ps...for those of you who don't know, ed never made it home from the walter's ranch race so there is some naked guy out there in the woods probably by the creek looking for the nice bikini trial genie girl. :mrgreen:

slomojo

#28 Post by slomojo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 am

Heck I'd ride the ranch every weekend if I lived close. I love the place.

Practice lap I was smiling the whole time.

If it weren't for complete exhaustion on the last lap I would have enjoyed the whole race.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

shredder

#29 Post by shredder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Ooooh Nooooo.... Just as I suspected. It's contagious and probably airborn. Anyone who has been around Ed or Joe at Walters Ranch please contact Helen Wait at the CDC. (Center for Disease Control) 1 800 wal ters.

So to recap...everyone wanting to run at walters... go to helen wait! :wink: