Drexel 4th of July Race Reports

General Bike Talk
shredder

Drexel 4th of July Race Reports

#1 Post by shredder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Post em here! Let's hear about it! Wow that place had a lot going on.
On a serious note could someone please updates us on that nasty crash in the dust. I don't want to post info that's incomplete or inaccurate but I got a good deal of what happened - the dust was terrible in spots. After my bike went useless I got it off the track ASAP. Just in time too as all the seniors came roaring by.
How did surgery go?
I'll post later. :wink:
Last edited by shredder on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

getdirty

Re: Drexel 4th of July Race Reports

#2 Post by getdirty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:23 pm

What a great way to spend our Independence day!!! A huge thank you to those that worked and Chuck for putting on a great race!

I was skeptical of the new starting format, but was soon a big fan. That was pretty cool. I was part of something similar at a poker run a while back.
It was not as cool as Collin Wright, by jumping on the seat like he was the Electric Cowboy, but did manage a top 5 start, none-the-less. Found myself having quite a bit of trouble keeping the front wheel from acting like a Pogo-stick on the rocks in the first mile or so. I decided to make that the slow but steady area of the track on each lap. Had a ball with the grass track and the hay field sections. Once the morning dew was dried off the hay field - that part was fun to slide through the corners.
I must have failed to remember how quickly the spill-way crossing came up. I used every bit of the bikes breaks while down shifting and still came into the spot pretty hot. As long as I was able to get to the wheat field or the bean field without anyone in front of me, that was a fun section.
Came through scoring and glanced back at the rider behind me. It was my good friend 78-Jason. Figured it was only seconds before he placed the 3-hunny in front of me. Guess he decided to stay back and taunt me for a while, as we made a lap together. While Jason and I were playing follow the leader, we came up on a couple of Jr. riders. Both of knowing this not the place to be stupid and ruin the young ones day - we took our time and made slow clean passes. Great to see the Jr.'s riding and having a great time.
Jason finally had enough of my slow pace and clicked a gear passed me and I was not able to keep in my sights.
I tried for another lap or so to find his dust. All I found were riders in other classes. Pretty happy with the 5th place considering I was able to make consistent lap times throughout the day.
Hope everyone had a great day enjoying our Nation's Holiday. I sure did.
Big Thanks to LETKO for 2015 Sponsorship!

Twenty 15
AARP #1021 KTM

oldmandave59

#3 Post by oldmandave59 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Downed rider was Mikey Thompson.

Life flight to KC MO and has broken nose, fractured skull, lacerations concussion. Carol,his wife and I Spent the evening with him Research Medical Center and his brother Damon was there earlier.
Riding is not a hobby, its a lifestyle

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Thank you for that. Prayers out for a compleete recovery.

ingramracing

#5 Post by ingramracing » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 pm

My family and I had a great time at Drexel. I raced my first full race, finishing 3rd! It was a fun course. Met a lot of really nice Forward Motion people. Met a lot of other racers. There was a lot of other stuff going on for the family. Great Day!!!
Wishing the injured racer a speedy recovery!!

Eddie Ingram
Trailrider #954

bugler

#6 Post by bugler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 am

Here is a short clip of the creek jump, tires and logs, then the fast straight away. The lens is already got mud on it, sorry about that.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=61 ... 2899448454

Here is a video of the start:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=61 ... 2211219004

on these clips, click the HD button (so that it is "lit") to see in better quality.
Jay S. 2013 KTM 300 XC
'01-#713, '02-#713, '03-#75, '04-#74, '05-#502, '06-#53, '07-#531, '08-#1077, '09-#1007, 2010-#753, '12-14- #1070
Don't pray for life to be easy, pray for the strength to deal with it.

Tank

#7 Post by Tank » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:12 pm

First and for most, Prayers out to Mikey Thompson and his family. Get well soon!

My race report is from the first race for me at FMHSC.
My start sucked as I was late to the starting area and there was 2 rows of 900's and I was in the second row. :D
Got started and there was a pile up at the rise to the dike. Got by some downed riders and made it to the first rock section. Clutch was not working after the start and crashed at least 10 times in the first rock section. It was for sure not a pretty site.

Really tired from picking myself and my bike up after so many times, but was determined to make it through this race.

After 52 minutes I made it through the scoring area. Went to the pits to see if I could fix my clutch and found my race buddy there with no bike. Seems like his tire decided to double in size and he went down hard.

After working on the bike for about an hour, my race buddy (schredder) finally figured out that the adjuster on my bike is reverse from what we are used to and it was actually loosening the clutch cable instead of tightening it. Rookie mistake! Then we noticed that My rear suspension was not working at all. Found out that the linkage was binding due to an over tightened linkage nut. After loosening up the nut it started working.

By this time the time had run out for my race. But learned some great things.
1. Go on a practice lap to check the course and the bike.
2. Be more agresssive.
3. and the main thing is that is really priceless to me.
I made some great friends and know that everyone will help each other to have a great time and enjoy my new battle buddies. :D Looking forward to seeing everyone at Warrensberg!!!
John
KTM 300 xc-w
KLX 450R
2014#1058 C Vet
2013#958 Trailrider

keko

#8 Post by keko » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:21 pm

oldmandave59 wrote:Downed rider was Mikey Thompson.

Life flight to KC MO and has broken nose, fractured skull, lacerations concussion. Carol,his wife and I Spent the evening with him Research Medical Center and his brother Damon was there earlier.

Get well soon Mikey!
2014 #77
2013 #777
2010, 2011, 2012 #818
2009 #888
2008 #822
http://www.moto-tally.com/fmhsc/Results ... iderDetail

Austin Doustou 696

#9 Post by Austin Doustou 696 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

I was also involved in the crash, I'm his son. I didn't mean for this to happen I feel really bad my dad And I where battling cause you know like any father and son would haha but anyway we where going through the bean field and next thing I know I saw a big dust cloud I was doing at least 50-55 mph and when I saw him and by that time it was to late to re-act I held on and went for a nasty ride. I was air born i probably flew 35-40 feet knocked my self out and landed on my left shoulder which ended up as a torn rotator cuff and broken shoulder and a pretty bad concussion. I love you dad get better!

shredder

#10 Post by shredder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:14 am

speedracer294 wrote:

By this time the time had run out for my race. But learned some great things.
1. Go on a practice lap to check the course and the bike.
2. Be more agresssive.
3. and the main thing is that is really priceless to me.
I made some great friends and know that everyone will help each other to have a great time and enjoy my new battle buddies. :D Looking forward to seeing everyone at Warrensberg!!!
Glad to have Ya John! I really appreciate you trekking out there to get a fix on my exact bike position so we could get a truck in there to get out. (Many thanks to the Smith's for taking his truck all up in the locust trees to help me out.) I didn't want to give you too much info for your first race - it just makes it seem too difficult trying to remember everything. I wanted you to just enjoy and have as much fun as a guy could stand.

My race report? Well not much to say really. Took off early from the start, got 3rd onto the damn. Even though Ol Man Dave drops it he is still on my a$$ anyway. (he makes me look slow). Dump it and I get let back on the track again courtesy - Ol Man Dave. I start hammering it on the straights only to have the rear blow up and lock up. Race over. I was so mad it's probably a good thing I still had a mile and a half walk in full dress through the wheat to cool off before I hit camp. I was thinking about throwing some plastic at Leaderhouse as he went by but most of the plastic is already gone from my bike from Walter's Ranch so I just let him by. I was rooting him on at scoring.

Met some good folks, made some new friends, looked for a dog who turned up anyway and met Slim's new girlfriend...(what a dog!)

Prayers to Mickey Thompson and family - My wife was starting to wonder when the helicopter went over head where the hell I was as my classmates had gone through at least a couple of times.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!