warrensburg race reports

General Bike Talk
swedishfishmx

Re: warrensburg race reports

#21 Post by swedishfishmx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 pm

I have some pics, I'll get them posted tonight hopefully, along with my own race report. 95th overall to 23rd then back to 30th on the last lap....a lot of stuff happened to say the least.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Pumpkinpatch

#22 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm

My hands and brain are finally working again (mostly).
Pretty short report.

Dusty, but fun.
Hot, but not boiling.
Around family and my FMHSC friends again, priceless.
Future Son Jeremy Stretz gets his first A class win. Other future "son" Brad Stretz races with me and then drives me 7 hours back home without complaining while I whimper and cramp up.
Future in law Janet Stretz feeds and cares for us all.
Watched my kids do very well.
Lauren showed great tenacity and speed doing a great job and continues to get better regardless of the circumstances (we like barbed wire, don't we kid).
Jared showing me that he has what it takes to put an old dog down when it's time. Beat me straight up on Sunday.

And, I could not be more proud.
Can't wait to make the trek again.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

Brock_t

#23 Post by Brock_t » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 pm

ok,

I want to start off with a short report on Drexel. Drexel two weeks ago was my first ever hare scramble. I put my self in the 900 class. I shot out pretty fast being maybe first 5-6 to the corner but a few went down going up the pond embankment and gave me no where to go but down also and I found myself in the rear in my first race (not where I was hoping to start). I knew I had to hammer down quick to make passes before the riders started spreading out. Thanks to such an open course I was able to do just that. I was able to bring myself back up to 8th out of 35 by the end of the race. I got cleaned off my bike by a tree one time and tucked the front wheel trying to stop for a corner in the thick dirt/sand/whatever that stuff was and went down hard again. Told myself there would be no more hare scrambles after this race and the next day racing again was all I could think about. That brings me to my second hare scramble report.
Warrensburg II, I was determined to get a good start this time and practiced several times hitting the magic button and getting off the clutch. I had it down and felt confident. Well the board dropped and I hit the button. AND NOTHING!!! It took 3-5 seconds to hit and by that time over half the crew was into the hard right. Here we go again I thought. I had to make a couple aggressive passes to get around some ( sorry if I upset anyone ), just not a easy course to pass on. I was able to get back in the top 9 pretty quick then worked my way over a couple laps to 5th but by that time I had used up all my strength and I went from feeling good and smooth to not being able to hardly hold onto the bike and had to let a couple riders by. Ended up 7th ( transponder showed 6th but guess it was wrong ). I did go down a couple times, once I didnt want to give up my spot and ended up running into a tree over riding my abilities. ( causing the guy behind me to slam on his brakes and go down, sorry who ever you were ) The course was very dusty as all stated already, hard to see for sure. The s corners in the ope field got super slick, losing my front end allot once I started to tire out. The crew was awesome, everyone posted in important spots ( I know it saved me a couple times, lol ). There was only one technical hill, but it was a blast to rip up!!! The people that attend these are awesome also, very helpful to a newbie like myself.
Think the toughest part of the day was having to let young rider Clark by in my third lap, lol... Now I know how my son feels on the MX track when Clark rips by him haha.

Great time and excited to see whats next
Brock Turner, #930
2013 KTM 250 XC-F

AStevens

#24 Post by AStevens » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am

Sounds like an interesting weekend. Brock, I'll try to get some shots of you later this year. Year before last, this race was a $30 day for me and last year I put my CR125 upside down in the creek ....and that one put me in the hole for $200. :lol:

KTM_rookie

#25 Post by KTM_rookie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 am

My race report starts Friday night, when my pit crew (wife) and I put a new set of M12/S12’s on the bike, very much over-due… Showed up Saturday and pitted with the usual suspects, Devon 77, Keith 734, Steve 96 and Eddie 934. Went out for a practice lap and felt great, the new tires made things sooooo much different compared to the last couple races. Who knew?? Board drops and off we go. Out of 15 in the 700 Club, I’m 2nd into the first little tree section, just behind 762. Then he had a little bobble and I got around him, heading into the grass hairpin turns o’fun section but I had someone right on my tail, Silva 740. Missed a turn and dropped to 2nd, then he missed a turn and we traded places again, but he’s right on my tail again. Wound up missing another turn (which was later blocked by a pile of branches) but this time Silva followed me (sorry bro!) off the beaten path and by the time I got back on, I must have been in 10th place. Silva was smarter and got back on sooner but after passing 4 or 5 guys in our class, I went through scoring in 5th , 22 seconds behind him. But it wasn’t meant to be, must have picked up a thorn when I missed the course so with a flat rear tire, I limped back to the pits, going from first to worst.

Sunday was similar, 16 on the line this time. Board drops and I’m about 4th in the little tree section, went right at the split and came out in 2nd behind 762 (déjà vu?) who had another little bobble and I’m in 1st heading into the grass (more déjà vu). The first 3 laps felt great and I held the lead but going into the 4th lap, I was exhausted. I laid the bike down twice and stalled it another time, doing much damage to my lead. Then the 5th lap I just slowed down and kept it on 2 wheels and as I went through scoring and made that 180-degree turn, there was Chris 79 right on my fender. I’m thinking to myself at the time, “One more lap, dig deep and you got this”. 30 seconds later I laid it down in the grass! So Chris goes by as I pick the bike up, 1 kick and go. I caught him and gave him a run for his money for a while but it was too dusty and his pace was too much for me, but that 6th lap was the fastest of the day for me (with a crash!). So we approach scoring and there was no checkered flag! Ugh, went back out for another lap with the mentality of “just maintain 2nd” and that’s what I did. And I’ll 2nd what Chris said, that was some fun racing! I really like Warrensburg. Plenty of challenges yet not too many rocks…love the steep hills. Thanks to everyone that worked to put on these races.
Jason

advbeach

#26 Post by advbeach » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:41 pm

KTM_rookie wrote:My race report starts Friday night, when my pit crew (wife) and I put a new set of M12/S12’s on the bike, very much over-due… Showed up Saturday and pitted with the usual suspects, Devon 77, Keith 734, Steve 96 and Eddie 934. Went out for a practice lap and felt great, the new tires made things sooooo much different compared to the last couple races. Who knew?? Board drops and off we go. Out of 15 in the 700 Club, I’m 2nd into the first little tree section, just behind 762. Then he had a little bobble and I got around him, heading into the grass hairpin turns o’fun section but I had someone right on my tail, Silva 740. Missed a turn and dropped to 2nd, then he missed a turn and we traded places again, but he’s right on my tail again. Wound up missing another turn (which was later blocked by a pile of branches) but this time Silva followed me (sorry bro!) off the beaten path and by the time I got back on, I must have been in 10th place. Silva was smarter and got back on sooner but after passing 4 or 5 guys in our class, I went through scoring in 5th , 22 seconds behind him. But it wasn’t meant to be, must have picked up a thorn when I missed the course so with a flat rear tire, I limped back to the pits, going from first to worst.

Sunday was similar, 16 on the line this time. Board drops and I’m about 4th in the little tree section, went right at the split and came out in 2nd behind 762 (déjà vu?) who had another little bobble and I’m in 1st heading into the grass (more déjà vu). The first 3 laps felt great and I held the lead but going into the 4th lap, I was exhausted. I laid the bike down twice and stalled it another time, doing much damage to my lead. Then the 5th lap I just slowed down and kept it on 2 wheels and as I went through scoring and made that 180-degree turn, there was Chris 79 right on my fender. I’m thinking to myself at the time, “One more lap, dig deep and you got this”. 30 seconds later I laid it down in the grass! So Chris goes by as I pick the bike up, 1 kick and go. I caught him and gave him a run for his money for a while but it was too dusty and his pace was too much for me, but that 6th lap was the fastest of the day for me (with a crash!). So we approach scoring and there was no checkered flag! Ugh, went back out for another lap with the mentality of “just maintain 2nd” and that’s what I did. And I’ll 2nd what Chris said, that was some fun racing! I really like Warrensburg. Plenty of challenges yet not too many rocks…love the steep hills. Thanks to everyone that worked to put on these races.
I thought you had it in the bag on sunday. looked like you had a great lead through most of the race, Chris seems to get faster at the end. He did the same thing to me at Walters 2. I'm uploading my gopro from saturday, lots of good video of you until we take the wrong turn.
Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

advbeach

#27 Post by advbeach » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

Btrigg88

#28 Post by Btrigg88 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:57 am

Silva forgot to mention that his 4th place finish was on a borrowed 900 row bike. Man those 900 number plate bikes are fast!!
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

swedishfishmx

#29 Post by swedishfishmx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 am

Pics are up....they aren't yellowwood quality but they are pictures none-the-less. :)

http://janethonda123.smugmug.com/

Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

AStevens

#30 Post by AStevens » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Practiced well, my 45 second Drexel lesson was... :lol: