TBT Suspension/Smart Performance

General Bike Talk
Halfdigitshort

TBT Suspension/Smart Performance

#1 Post by Halfdigitshort » Sat May 14, 2011 9:34 am

Background..I contacted Terry Brumley a few weeks ago and talked with him about options for my WR450. The bike is waaay too soft stock and undersprung as well. Terry does suspension work out of his shop on Springfield and is a dealer/tuner for Smart Performance Inc. We spoke of skill level, terrain that i ride and of course my weight. He made the order and got my set up built and delivered. I drove to his shop on Friday and was able to see and somewhat assist with the installation. Not many folks in this field are willing to have a customer standing by and over thier shoulder while doing this type of work. Terry is a class act and I truly enjoyed the whole experience.

On to my test ride at Chadwick 45mins after having the bike completed....A true and total transformation has happened! I got in 35miles of south Missouri rocks/roots/whooped out puddles after getting the suspension done and back on the bike. We set the sag in the shop before I loaded up. I rode less than a 1/2mile and knew I had made the right decision. The bike is like nothing else I have ridden. Small roots up to 3in diameter all but disappear, anything bigger you feel but nothing harsh transmitted through the chassis or bars to me! The level of hookup provided from the rear shock being so much more planted is amazing, actually putting a trials tire on with this could be too much traction..I was able to charge through areas that i would have been death gripping before. There are large puddle sections at this area, that have 6-7 consecutive rollers/whoops to them. I went back and forth upping my speed into the middle and upper 30mph range and it just ate them up, never blowing through the stroke, all the while reacting and keeping the wheels on the ground and maintaining forward momentum...I am blown away at how well it works, I didn't want to stop riding. Small chop and "trail trash" is nothing to bother with any longer, I found out quickly, I didn't need to worry about what the bike was hitting, nothing upset it and the front and back both worked together! I can't say enough about the customer service and willingness to help me understand all the components that went into this work. Anyone shopping or considering a suspension upgrade i would urge you to contact Terry! Thanks for reading. Jason
Jason Stevens
11'YZ250

Halfdigitshort

Re: TBT Suspension/Smart Performance

#2 Post by Halfdigitshort » Sat May 14, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm sure different set ups vary in cost, feel free to call Terry directly and he will give you a quote. 417-844-8600, he is at the MORE race this weekend but is always game for talking suspension!!
Jason Stevens
11'YZ250

motorboy1128

#3 Post by motorboy1128 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Im right there with you Halfdigitshort, my suspension is undersprung and too soft....I bottom out ALOT! Being the suspension was set up for a c class rider and for 165 pound rider thinking itd be perfect for me but its too soft, How much did it cost for everything he did to your bike, I need everything he did to your bike done to mine. I've heard the suspension work can make you a better rider, well when I see a steep hil with a little transittion between flat to hil I have to slow down or else I'm in for some pain.
2006 crf 250r, 2003 Honda CRF 450R, 1999 Honda TRX 300EX

'Forgive me Lord for I have sinned; hit a 4th gear jump 5th gear pinned'
"you sound a bit angry... go riding.."
"You can only have 2 out of the following 3 at the same time...Fast, Cheap, and Reliable"

Halfdigitshort

#4 Post by Halfdigitshort » Sat May 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Motorboy118, suspension makes you a better bike, a better rider comes from, the confidence of a balanced and properly set up bike, it is likely you would gain speed and lower lap times. I personally feel like I am riding a very confidence inspiring machine. No way to make a WR450 feel light, but being sprung properly and set up just for me, it feels like it lost some tonnage! Call Terry, he will be up front with costs and be honest with your skill level and weight, you will be amazed!
Jason Stevens
11'YZ250

SCORVA

#5 Post by SCORVA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm

That's pretty tough to visualize :shock:

Does Terry have a website? Someone get me linked up here?
Thanks in advance.

Anyone else have a review of this guys work?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"

dive

#6 Post by dive » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 pm

SCORVA wrote:That's pretty tough to visualize :shock:

Does Terry have a website? Someone get me linked up here?
Thanks in advance.

Anyone else have a review of this guys work?

http://www.hillbillygp.com/forums/messa ... picID=1230
AN ARMED MAN IS A CITIZEN. AN UNARMED MAN IS A SUBJECT !

Halfdigitshort

#7 Post by Halfdigitshort » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 am

Hey SCORVA, just go to a local harescramble and look for the numerous bikes with TBT stickers on the forks and ask for a review. If you ride a KTM, Terry uses his own set up for valving, if Jap bike or anything that uses, KYB or Showas, he uses his Smart Performance based stacks. Call Terry to talk shop and get a quote 417-844-8600. He has many racers/riders in the area and MO/KS/AR running his stuff, welcome to ride my bike depending on where you live. I no longer own the WR but have a KTM 2stroke with TBT stuff in it for enduros, works very well.
Jason Stevens
11'YZ250

MGN

#8 Post by MGN » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:32 am

Terry is good people and is extremely knowledgeable about suspension. Very easy to work with and will make changes until you are happy.(although I have never had to have him change or tweak anything he has done) I have used his stuff now for 3 years on more than a few bikes and have always loved his work. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone looking for some suspension work no matter what color bike you ride.

Matt Newman

3E

#9 Post by 3E » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I had Terry do my Yamaha and it is the best money I have spent on the thing. It soaks up rocks and does not bottom often. Good stuff, and fast service.
Ethan Ezell

SCORVA

#10 Post by SCORVA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for the many replies....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"