Chanute Race Day Reports

General Bike Talk
quik406

Re: Chanute Race Day Reports

#21 Post by quik406 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Love Chanute!
When the board dropped I wasn't ready, but managed to get off pretty good. Glad to be in second place for the time being...when 743 goes around me about half out of control. He almost looses it seconds later and about takes us both out. GoPro audio confirms I wasn't expecting that. :shock: With the two front guys going at it, like they were killing snakes...they got away from me. Just like in NASCAR though, two people racing hard always ends up better for the chasers. They got hung up and I got around on lap 2. Lead for awhile, until I crashed on the big log crossing, and after recovery... 777 shows up. Was getting ready to find away around him when his pace just fell off. Later I learned he lost a front tire. Sorry man...I hate to take a position like that.

Race two I tried my hand at sweeping. Pretty cool to watch the fast boys, but I must say i was tired after that! By the way, I tried to fix that log that kept creeping after a pulled up on a guy that got surprised by it. That didn't :shock: work out for me!

Chanute...Love the rocks, mud and straights!
Last edited by quik406 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superfast

#22 Post by Superfast » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 am

Chanute,what a great race weekend!

My weekend started on Saturday, Pam and I pulled in and set up the camper in the late afternoon. There was still alot of time before dark, so I threw on my gear and headed out for a look at the course.

In the back of my mind was my last ride at Chanute, so I was keeping my eye open for a memorable tree. I have a little history with this course, 2 years ago while riding sweep, yes, I did say sweep, I caught a rock wrong and the bike got kicked sideways into a tree. My foot got caught between the frame rail and the tree, breaking my leg just above the ankle. I managed to ride for 1.5 miles on one foot before Wirefryer had to rescue me! It took me out of racing for 6 weeks, and I wasn't about to let that happen agan.

Got back to the camper and swapped stories with Slomojo while waiting for the rest of the gang to arrive. Tim and John show up a little after 7 and we start placing bets on how much transmission fluid Shredder used getting his RV home!

Finally just before dark, Shredder shows up, driving his van and pulling the new Dexron sponsored trailer. He was so proud of his accomplishment, he did a 360 in the field so we could see how evenly he covered both sides of the trailer.

Shredder was pretty exhausted and began telling the tale of his determination to get to Chanute, it was kind of like the story "The Little Engine that Could". By the end of the story Shredder was crying, at first I thought it was his emotions but as it turned out he just rubbed too much tranny fluid in his eyes! Wirefryer feed him some food, gave him a beer and started talking of better times in Chadwick, that seemed to calm him down.

Sunday morning I woke up battling the same sinus cold I had been battling all week. Made the practice lap to get warmed up, took a big swig of cough syrup and headed to the start line. Got off the line in about 6th, not really where I wanted to be, it seemed like all the 700's were really hungry at this race, battling for position at every turn. I made my share of mistakes, lost a few positions and came through scoring in 9th on the first lap. Now that I knew what NOT to do, it was time to set a faster pace and make up some positions.

The next 4 laps I battled with 740, 77, 723, 762 and 777. Let me tell you, they all put up a good fight. Awesome racing guys, even tough we were bar to bar, you can really see the 700's have respect for each other. Fought my way back up to 4th, not a bad finish for the day. The trophy I brought home Sunday was much better then my last thropy from Chanute, the crutches are still sitting in my closet!

An Awesome weekend! Thanks to the Taylor's for putting on such a great event.

So that wraps it up, oh wait ............. One last question remains, just how much tranny fluid did Sherdder use getting his RV home? Last amount I heard was 9 gallons!!!!
Scott

2014 - #71
2013 - #72
2012 - #86 - #786
2011 - #825
2010 - #9198

vetteracer77

#23 Post by vetteracer77 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am

I too love Chanute!
The course was perfect. Rocks, mud, and fast! I also came into the race fighting a sinus cold. I'm out of shape and energy for two hours is a problem for me, then you add being sick on top of that :( . I think I went down more time than I have all season. Got a pretty good start behind #79. I almost got into him on the first corner and #743 went blowing around me. I settled in behind #777 in 5th place. I tried to go on the outside of #777 in the first rocky section and got hung up. The GoPro that I usually never mount on my helmet disappeared. Spent the rest of the lap trying to catch up with the top four.
Then it was all downhill from there. #72 passed me on the slimy creek climb. Chased him for a while and crashed. Got caught up on the creek climb again, this time worse. Spent all my remaining energy. Spent the rest of the day pin balling off trees and crashing. Settled in for 26 minute laps :cry: .
Heard a two stroke behind be and waved him by. He calls out a "thank you" and about that time I see his number plate. It was #76, if I had know it was him I would have at least held him off until I crashed!
On the last lap the hidden rock in the grass section after the round bail almost took me out for good. Had the bars to the lock going sideways. Started to high side, but rode it out! :shock: Actually gave me an adrenaline rush so I could finish.
Had a blast as usual. Can't wait for Merwin!
Braappp!
Mike Walline #762
2011 KTM 300 XC-W

E.A.

#24 Post by E.A. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:27 am

ktmracer827 wrote:Race of the Year so far for 2013 in my opinion!! I can't speak for the second group, but the 1st race was probably the best conditions you could ask for!!
I can't even tell you how how fun it was to run with you on this course! (Did you get to witness my spectacular "opps")
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)

wadedawg

#25 Post by wadedawg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:56 pm

The red paint I get from Joe is from his back fender! The latest trick I have learned is to park sideways in a narrow spot. This disrupts the competition's momentum and then Joe leaves us in the dust wondering what just happened. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9T8nknkRSo
2010 XC-W450 SD #959
2012 XC-F350 #1034
2015 XC-W 300 SD TBD

bmxpro2621

#26 Post by bmxpro2621 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 am

The real race report.... IT WAS HOT! lol.

A Big Thanks To All My Sponsors:

Heavy D's Exhaust Repair, Kenda Tires, Amsoil, O'Neal, ODI Grips, Scott Goggles, Gaerne, Powersports Graphx & Suspension, Bell Helmets, GoPro, Sealsavers, Shorai LFX Lithiuim Batteries, Twin Air, IMS Products, Leatt, JT Sprockets

MORE #210
MHSC#130
HBGP #410
30+B NEPG

shredder

#27 Post by shredder » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

wadedawg wrote:The red paint I get from Joe is from his back fender! The latest trick I have learned is to park sideways in a narrow spot. This disrupts the competition's momentum and then Joe leaves us in the dust wondering what just happened. Check this out.

Oh boy Joe you are so busted!!! Just so you know next time Joe, you can pay off Wadedog and he wont post that stuff. Trouble is the better the footage the higher the price! I thought that chugging it at the top of a big hill was good....man this is great as it works in all soils, terrains - even flat as long as you have a narrow enclosure.
Is that a Watsy move? :shock:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

ktmracer66

#28 Post by ktmracer66 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 pm

I can't even tell you how how fun it was to run with you on this course! (Did you get to witness my spectacular "opps")
I must have missed that! I was able to keep up with you for about a lap, then we caught those senior riders that were stuck in the rut....you got around them and I had to wait
Travis Slover
'16 #794
'15 #67
'14 #66
'13 #604
'07-'12 #627

slomojo

#29 Post by slomojo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:12 pm

shredder wrote:
wadedawg wrote:The red paint I get from Joe is from his back fender! The latest trick I have learned is to park sideways in a narrow spot. This disrupts the competition's momentum and then Joe leaves us in the dust wondering what just happened. Check this out.

Oh boy Joe you are so busted!!! Just so you know next time Joe, you can pay off Wadedog and he wont post that stuff. Trouble is the better the footage the higher the price! I thought that chugging it at the top of a big hill was good....man this is great as it works in all soils, terrains - even flat as long as you have a narrow enclosure.
Is that a Watsy move? :shock:
At one time all the dumb stuff I did in the woods stayed in the woods.Now its on youtube.That was a pretty clumsy pass but I took the lead and that's what counts.

With his camera on,racing with wadedawg is like hunting with the game warden.I think the solution is to stay behind him or way in front.Maybe he could catch me doing something real cool,........not likely. :roll:
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

TEAMBRAWNER

#30 Post by TEAMBRAWNER » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Started off great with the holeshot! Apperantly there was a big pile up behind me luckily i wasnt in it. The track was flowing good and 1st lap held everyone off pretty good no one was on me. Last few corners of the 1st lap i nailed a tree and went down. :( 2nd lap i heard tucker coming up on me. Tried to keep cool until i realized he was right on my tire thru the last part of the lap. About a mile in there was the smallest part of the water crossing somehow i managed to stall the bike :evil: So tucker ended up passing me there. We battled for awhile but then i started making mistakes and lost his tail.... Ended up rolling through the finish line in 2nd! Not bad at all with macon behind me. Hopefully i can get tucker next race!

Zack, 121