General Bike Talk
shredder

Melvern Race Reports

#1 Post by shredder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Let's Post Em! :wink:

shredder

Re: Melvern Race Reports

#2 Post by shredder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Ok OK OK. I don't want to sound like a broken record...but... Best Melvern I ever ran. period. Yup. Yes sir! Pulled in and set up, checked out scoring (I did not feel the need to re arrange the scoring lane at Melvern today as Dan stopped us all at scoring and I didn't want to face a race official after messing up his scoring lane, he might want to give me a lecture or something and I'm in a bit of a hurry...ya know?

Scott and Pam got there soon after we set up, ate dinner, hung out and BSed, great time. I saw Wadedawg and he informed me That ol SloMoJO added a secret weapon...or some new upgrade to his machine...HMMMMM (How could anyone break open Joe's wallet? He doesn't even know the combination himself! Any way Wirefryer and Mr Riggins as well as Brad show up in the morning. Looks like ol Joe has nitrous on board. He couldn't use it cause it all leaked out before he got the chance. I'm guessing that's why I was so off balance and laughing hysterically for 2 laps following so close behind him!

Line up and the sign drops, did a mid pack launch and pick up a butt load of places into the run to the first turn and even more in the first straight. I see ol Slomojo making his way up through the crowd as well, I was on one side and he on the other with him 1 1/2 bike lengths in front. I decide to back down and drop in just behind Joe and watch the show and hold my ace in hand as the element of surprise... I decided to make a move on him around one of the big tires on lap 1. I just wanted to pull up next to Joe and say...hi, you know...just BS a little and see how the house, wife and kids are doing...you know... I pin it and shift the gears HARD, kept the front wheel up high (hee hee hee) didn't miss a beat! Rammed it and jammed it, grinning for winning, no crap just win the lap...you know. Joe decides to let me know he knows I'm there and doesn't feel like talking right then and he does me the same courtesy, pin it to win it...clear up to the corner (HMMM, some nerve of that guy! He is doing to me just what I'm doing to him!) We both go past the point of no return (as we usually do...you know it's our way of seeing who has the biggest cahonas and all that male testosterone crap..) He slides out and goes down fast after sliding quite a long way...didn't really measure it ...I was in a bit of a rush myself actually so I cut the corner and hit the tire and deflect off of it. (Yes it was legal. It was either run over Joe's head and neck or cut the corner and smash into the tire, deflect, recover, and, yup, pin it and do it again while Joey is taking nappy nappy time. Then I have to keep it going hot and keep looking over my shoulder, I wouldn't want THAT to happen to me...after all!

In the midst of looking to the rear I forgot to look ahead and got whipped badly by the low Locust tree branch in the middle of the trail. I hear a swooshing sound and then a stinging at my lips, neck wrists and nostrils. I thought at first I was on fire, hit a hornets nest or started my hot flashes...I dont know. I was able to get the 2 thorns out of my neck with out crashing but a small stick got lodged just under my nose and under my goggles with thorns under my goggles and glasses. I tried to pull it out, shake it off, brush it off, flick it, slap it and even tried to jerk it out. nope. nuthin doin. crap. I shake my head wildly and huston we have a no go. I left the track several times and got myself dizzy. Finally I rushed into...I mean rode into scoring slowly, cautiously and carefully and I know if I sneeze one more time there is going to be more snot on this twig that would make my 15 month old grandson proud.I yell at Dan...Get the stick! He smiles cause he still wants to beat me for messing up scoring at Thurman...twice I might add, so he is looking for a stick, then I yell What the hell!? and point to my face. He gets it out and I'm off. Cool. WHEW! Huston we are a go! Next lap I stop at scoring and see our glorious race official wanting to have a long meaningful discussion about whether or not I would like my stick back...?...say wha?...I mean, really? Dan loves screwing wit ya! My brain just got all twisted up and then POOF! he moves outta th way and I'm off...still with Joe looking for some payback. I kept him off me better than I did the Locust tree scratches and pulled out a 4th. Found out it did nothing for me in the points standings. shoot. I got got back to camp to brag about my Locust thorn scratches and see tim coming over, I can't wait to show him. When Wirefryer sits down he is so mud encrusted in bloody lines leaking from his arm I realize he must have been doing a re-make of Bonnie and Clyde, left over from the Hyatt Regency tradgedy or, a civil war enactment. Holy cow man...I took second seat to that fer sho!

What I learned today...
1. Melvern kicks butt after a good rain.
2. Joe Leaderhouse is like the energizer bunny...never stops working.
3. The correct difference between a skid steer and a bobcat.
4.Always listen to Scott when he is sweeping a race and give you the "drop the hammer" signal.
5. Do not loop out my Husky as rear fenders are impossible to find these days.
6. We have an awesome series.

Sorry so short...I just didn't have much to say, that's all! :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

wadedawg

#3 Post by wadedawg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 am

I think the hay bales leading into scoring were for you Shredder!
2010 XC-W450 SD #959
2012 XC-F350 #1034
2015 XC-W 300 SD TBD

El Dog

#4 Post by El Dog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 am

Good weather, great course conditions....
~We are getting spoiled after Thurman and Melvern's conditions. Thank you Mother Nature.
~I have really taken favor to the tracks that incorporate some of the MX and enduro sections. For those of us that have not ridden most of our lives, just gives me some opportunity to build some additional skills and good for the spectators. Plus it is fun!
~Lackluster start, flowed well, and thought I rode well but only mustered a 7th place finish; still a fun race.
~Sorry to hear that several were injured; hope for speedy recoveries.
~I know Dan repeatedly states to move over when getting a 'gentle' hint from someone out of your class who on your tail, but wish more would heed that...sooner.

~HELP: When looking at the standings, how do you know where you really are when there are some in your class that have been moved up and others in the class behind you that may have been asked to move up into your class??

Fingers crossed for temp in the 70's, tacky trails, and NO POISON IVY! :cry:
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

dive

#5 Post by dive » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am

El Dog wrote:
~I know Dan repeatedly states to move over when getting a 'gentle' hint from someone out of your class who on your tail, but wish more would heed that...sooner.

What El Dog said.... :evil:
AN ARMED MAN IS A CITIZEN. AN UNARMED MAN IS A SUBJECT !

E.A.

#6 Post by E.A. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 am

All I know is the following.....

I had the BEST BEST BEST full long lap battle with Drake "802" that I have ever had. And it proves that we were both pushing each other, since that was both of our fastest laps. He finally got around me on that baby triple before going into timing and scoring.... I watched as his mother (or someone) dumped water on his rear brakes, and that was the last time I saw him.... As soon as I hit the open section across the starting area, I realized at the top of 5th gear, that I had NO rear brake to speak of..... VERY VERY scary. I can't believe it never came back the next 2 laps. :(

1) Bland start
2) Could have picked a better line a few times
3) Totally should have changed brake fluid, months ago
4) Mother nature rocks... what a perfect day
5) I still suck at rocks
6) Dan and the crew are awesome!
7) Can't wait to do it again.

Ride safe everyone,
Erik
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)

ktmracer66

#7 Post by ktmracer66 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:10 pm

AWESOME COURSE!!!

I had a terrible race....last off the start, caught up to two guys about a mile and a half in - and my shifter stripped out. I was in 2nd gear when it stripped, so I finished the whole 1st lap that way. The course was so awesome, I went ahead and did an entire second lap, in 2nd gear!!
Travis Slover
'16 #794
'15 #67
'14 #66
'13 #604
'07-'12 #627

Harvey Mushman

#8 Post by Harvey Mushman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Absolutely beautiful weather and the course conditions were perfect. I've always liked Melvern as it flows so well. Twelve bikes on the Senior line, (Gentlemans Class), and I went into the first turn in 4th place. I held 4th thru the middle of lap three when I killed the bike at the top of the hill after going thru the nasty creek crossing. 1002 and 1062 got by me at that point but I got started quickly and tried to reel them in but never could. I remember seeing I think 1002 on the MX section so I was close to him but couldn't catch him, ( I suck on MX stuff), and wound up finishing 6th. The conditions were just perfect and I felt I rode a very good race. I had alot of fun but giving up 12 years to the youngest in the class is getting to be pretty tough to do and still be competitive. An absolute perfect day to be on a dirt bike in the woods.
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...

ktmracer66

#9 Post by ktmracer66 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

E.A. wrote:All I know is the following.....

As soon as I hit the open section across the starting area, I realized at the top of 5th gear, that I had NO rear brake to speak of..... VERY VERY scary. I can't believe it never came back the next 2 laps. :(

3) Totally should have changed brake fluid, months ago

Ride safe everyone,
Erik
D.O.T. 5.1 brake fluid will solve this problem!!
Travis Slover
'16 #794
'15 #67
'14 #66
'13 #604
'07-'12 #627

E.A.

#10 Post by E.A. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:37 pm

ktmracer604 wrote: D.O.T. 5.1 brake fluid will solve this problem!!
You must have been typing this, as my co-worker was telling me that I needed to swap to 5.1 Fluid. LOL. Seriously I came back from lunch, and already made the call to get some coming. :) I guess I was never fast enough last year to heat up the brakes. LOL.

Oh and... Congrats on the move to "c" ! thats awesome.

Erik

****PS: Anyone know any of the photographers out in the woods?? ****
I saw a bunch of them out there, would be nice to have a couple shots from this race
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)