I have held back long enough (Rant to the Senior Class)

General Bike Talk
Iowa

Re: I have held back long enough (Rant to the Senior Class)

#11 Post by Iowa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:50 am

Ah, passing problems.

1. Is the slow moron in front of you really the slow one, or is there someone in front of him? Screaming and revving to move from number nine in the train to number eight is just a waste of energy.

2. Is it the first lap? No one should be expected to move over too much on the first lap. There is always a fast starter who slows down in the woods in front of a slow starter who rips in the woods at the beginning of a race. It is just part of the luck of racing.

3. If you are having trouble with the class in front of you, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG CLASS! Move up to where you belong.

4. Threatening to take out another rider in an amateur race? Bad manners. Actually following through and doing it? Possible criminal/civil liability. You might want to think about that before you push someone into a tree.
Scott
Formerly KTM, now Gasgas trials

quik406

#12 Post by quik406 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Actually following through and doing it? Possible criminal/civil liability. You might want to think about that before you push someone into a tree.
Really?
I am amazed what a castrated country America has become!
Guess what? Racing is DANGEROUS! It might be even more dangerous if you hold up the wrong guy! Nobody has to get out of the way, but they may wish they had if they hold up the wrong guy.
Go read some History on the sport! The old timers didn't shout or hoot! Just...Passed you, or wrecked you trying. You may have let them have it to keep from being killed. Your choice.
That's why I move for faster riders cause I know I want to go to work Monday, and that faster guy just may wreck us. On purpose or not!

Not to pick on anybody, just reading a rant, made me want to rant!

Iowa

#13 Post by Iowa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Okay, quik406, just for fun, tell the promoter when you sign in that you plan to take someone out. The land owner won't mind. Racing is just dangerous, right? (I bet his lawyer will agree with you --those slowpokes practically BEG to be hurt.) Even better, just announce that you plan to knock down any rider you catch. Especially those little kids. They need to learn to get out of the way, too.

Making an aggressive pass on a similarly capable rider during a race is racing. That's acceptable. Intentionally targeting slower, less capable riders to punish them is not.
Scott
Formerly KTM, now Gasgas trials

slomojo

#14 Post by slomojo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:29 pm

This seems to come up every year around this time,points race I guess.It's not confined to any one class either.I screwed up Sunday and didn't look at the clock when I took a practice lap and missed the start.I started between the 900s and the juniors.I thought this should be fun tying to catch my class having to pass 2 classes,and it was.One 900 refused to let me pass so I passed him in the creek,once he saw me hopping those big rocks beside him he backed off,no hard feelings on my part,I can't believe I took that line and stayed on the bike.Then I rode up on a 800 going slow until he saw me, now he wants to race.That didn't last long either.
At least I know that I didn't hold up any 800s Sunday because I was behind them all. :lol: If I don't yield to a rider there is always a reason,sometimes not a good one.Maybe I think he is in my class,I can't see behind me very well either.Maybe I don't think he is close enough for a pass,maybe I don't feel safe getting over right there,the list goes on.
What bothers me more than someone slowing me down so I can't catch someone in front of me is slowing me down so that classmates catch up with me.Earlier this year I was stuck behind a 700 and my class was a train behind me.I got to close to his rear tire, bumped it,went down and lost several places.I got back on my bike and when I got to the top of the hill, there he was setting of the course catching his breath.I find that I sometimes have to take extra risk to pass and I'm not willing.This was one of those times,maybe he thought I was in his class.
Maybe I'm one of the guys that's slowing up the class behind me,if I am please let me know so I can make extra effort to get out of the way.My average is on the low side of C speed,and there are people starting 1 and 2 minutes behind me passing me on the first lap.Seems silly complaining about having to pass people when you could be starting 2 minutes ahead based on your percentile.
Traffic is one of the obstacles in racing.It introduces more of an element of chance than other obstacles do because it moves,but just as others, how quickly it is overcome is also a matter of riding skill.
I personally prefer when all the riders are on the course at the same time,I just like chaos I guess.I know I'm in the minority by far.
One last race then the season is in the books.It's been lots of fun for me.I hope everyone enjoys this last race.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

quik406

#15 Post by quik406 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Iowa, Nothing was ever said about kids, or slowpokes! We are talking about "racers" who are intentionally holding up an obviously faster rider. Be careful putting words in my mouth! I do not appreciate when people twist the truth and try to make me look like I am in the wrong! I would never do anything to endanger a kid, or any rider that is in over his head.

The OP is about seniors "grown men" holding up a grown man in another class. He never said..." I am going to wreck them!" What he said he was "
we are going bar to bar, and its either you letting me by like you should, or we may or may not both get taken out in the process
Now you can read into it what you will, but In ANY form of racing, he has said nothing wrong!

shredder

#16 Post by shredder » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree Joe.
One more time. The only time I yelled out at this guy in front of me and he fought me, fought me and fought me and wouldn't let me pass, I got so pissed off as I had Joe in my sights and Joe got around him but not me. I switched to yelling "SENIOR!!!", "SENIOR!!!", and this one hit wonder..."SENIOR!! SENIOR!!! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!,SENIOR!!" It was on the last lap and I was just fuming. Well it turns out the reason he didn't budge was he too was a senior! HA!

Rev limiters are for limiting the engines rpm's. Get rid of the rev limiter and pin it when you want to pass, they might get scared and move over then. (?) or not.

Man just yell out and let's all go have some fun!

Well my 2 cents I'm getting board now, guess I'll go take a nap and a table spoon of Geritol. :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

E.A.

#17 Post by E.A. » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 pm

I am going to have to think your posting is directed at me, so I am going to take a moment to reply and clear some things up.
Iowa wrote:1. Is the slow moron in front of you really the slow one, or is there someone in front of him? Screaming and revving to move from number nine in the train to number eight is just a waste of energy.
I don't know what this has to do with this topic, but that has NOTHING to do with the situation I was describing.
Please read what happened to me. Blocked, Delayed, Taken out in a corner (knowing I was there), then Blocked again.

And if your in a "train" of people in your same class, then no yelling or revving should be done IMHO. Thats called racing. I have yet to see a train that really was a mix of much riders of any sort... its usually the same class, on the first or second lap.....and thats call AWESOME!
2. Is it the first lap? No one should be expected to move over too much on the first lap. There is always a fast starter who slows down in the woods in front of a slow starter who rips in the woods at the beginning of a race. It is just part of the luck of racing.
WHAT?!?! Why would the first lap not matter?.... Not only am I at my freshest physically, its usually the time I need to get used to the track, and set the pace for the race. (my pace, not theirs) To me, it MAKE no sense to hold ANYONE up on the first lap... if you have been caught up to that fast, its OBVIOUS you need to move over.

When its 1hr into the race, its a little harder to tell whom is lap traffic, and who is a "classmate"
3. If you are having trouble with the class in front of you, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG CLASS! Move up to where you belong.
Um, I don't set the starting grid..... I have no choice who is in front of me. And this has nothing to do with CLASS (Once again, I have had no issues with the 700's that I come up on, and the very few 600's that happens) If was about respect for fellow riders. (Which based on replies and PM's has MORE then been covered)

Personally I will be moving to 600's next year, so for myself its a mute point. But I still wanted to make sure others that will be in the 900's and 800's next year dont have the same issues. And I myself will be doing all that I can this next race to stay out of the way of all the championships that are on the line.
4. Threatening to take out another rider in an amateur race? Bad manners. Actually following through and doing it? Possible criminal/civil liability. You might want to think about that before you push someone into a tree.
You have got to be kidding me......

#1) I never threatened anyone. I simply said I was going to be more aggressive to pass (Lord knows I have been passed by AA guys, and I don't have my feelings hurt when they come flying by me within an inch of my life, its what it is) I think if anything I was being uber kind by saying... "Hey dude, I am still going to give you more then fair warning, but then after that.... I am going to attempt a pass, no matter what" (Does that sound better?)

#2) I have been in motorsports all my life, from Offshore Boat Racing, Drag Racing, Road Racing, Street Racing, and now this.... and even when our MULTI-MILLION dollar race boat got taken out in a corner, NEVER was the "criminal liability" flag waved.... thats just silly.... this is racing. Heck if people were doing that, NASCAR is screwed. (At least the truck series, those guys cant keep from swapping paint for more then 2 laps under green, LOL)

So thats that.... I think from this simple post, over the last couple days. The situation has been / will be resolved.
We all care about eachother. (heck thats why we pause when a rider goes down, to make sure they are ok) Lets all finish this season with a BANG! And in a good way. :)

Just didn't want anyone thinking I was making threats.....
Erik
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)

wadedawg

#18 Post by wadedawg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Why doesn't this work? I have tried to post twice and nothing is showing up!

I have watched my go pro video and agree with Erik that I should have moved over sooner. I could have given him many excuses on why i waited but never the less I agree. I thought I was doing pretty good only to find out that I have been an ongoing problem.
I have had the SAME issue the past 3 races in a row. YOU know who you are (both of you)
I have apologized to Erik and I apologize to who ever else I have held back. It is not my intention to cause hard feelings.

Thank you Erik for bringing this to light as like I said i thought I was doing ok. Thanks for the advise and I intend to follow it at Carbondale.

Carbondale is the climax of our 2013 FMHSC with battles going on in every class so lets go have fun and make some memories
2010 XC-W450 SD #959
2012 XC-F350 #1034
2015 XC-W 300 SD TBD

shredder

#19 Post by shredder » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Joe dont be getting any ideas, so help me if you whoop me at cabondale I'll put a stick in your front spokes. :roll: :wink:
yup
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

wadedawg

#20 Post by wadedawg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 am

I've done the math and IF I can pull off a repeat of last weeks race and get another 2nd..... That will put me in front of Joe AND Dennis in point standings! Hmmmmm Looks like I need to change my attitude and quit riding for fun and take this more serious. NOT!!!!
If it stops being fun then my bike is for sale!
2010 XC-W450 SD #959
2012 XC-F350 #1034
2015 XC-W 300 SD TBD