Senior Class revision

General Bike Talk
quik406

Re: Senior Class revision

#21 Post by quik406 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Speed is speed. Age has nothing to do with it
I could not agree more. When I first moved to Cvet I liked the respect for each other. A respect that older gentlemen practice...to ride safe and smart; and not wreck others. It fits the speed %. When I moved to Vet adv. some of that is gone. Oh well, I get that! More advanced, will to win, whatever....

I do have a question. It is obvious to me, after a few races, that Cvet adv. has some sand baggers. Guys that only ride to their potential when pressured. My question is... Will breakouts be enforced and will they move to B class? I assume "Vets" are not going to like that move.

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#22 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:01 am

"My question is... Will breakouts be enforced and will they move to B class? I assume "Vets" are not going to like that move."

Nope, not going to enforce the rules. Never have, never will.

Better start contacting me with some examples to back this up! C vet and C vet advanced are the two best classes we have at staying in their bracket. Only a few guys ever broke out all year. Better go look and see what I am saying.

Plan to be the guy looking over percentiles after each race this year.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

quik406

#23 Post by quik406 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 am

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I was under the impression if you are a "vet" you should race in the vet class. C vet adv. is the fastest vet class... Thats all I was getting at.

83% is top of class?

How much over is considered margin of error? I only see five races when the winner didn't break out?

Jason g

#24 Post by Jason g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I've been looking over %'s. and have the names of 12 or more C vet adv. riders who have went outside of their percent. I had one bad dnf. at 70% and drops my numbers. Im calling them out per race if they have the potential to do it once they can do it again. 4 C classes, 2 A classes, and 1 B. Looks like their is room for a B vet to me. I got 5 or 10 yr's left of hauling the mail. Is to fast graded per race or year end average, or maybe top 2 or 3 fastest? Am I missing something.
I prayed for an old, wise angel who fly's faster than I ride. 2005 yz 250// 2000 cr 500// 2007 rmz 450// 2008 ktm 300// 2013 ktm 300 xcw.

Jason g

#25 Post by Jason g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm

And Why 4% to 6% range in class. im thinking an even 5%. per class kinda tough to climb up in the class with a 6% range and vise versa on the 4%. I don't know.
I prayed for an old, wise angel who fly's faster than I ride. 2005 yz 250// 2000 cr 500// 2007 rmz 450// 2008 ktm 300// 2013 ktm 300 xcw.

shredder

#26 Post by shredder » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Dan I really need to get the elephant out of the room... okay...well it's hard to talk about serious percentiles, dirt bikes, kicking butt, dirt and all when you have that stupid avatar with the stupid hair!!! Could you loose the blond over brunete and please pick a color? I'm trying to do some recruting and my friends ask me who the two tone dude? I say that's the guy in charge...dooh!
:wink:

Please pick a color...maybe blue?
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

quik406

#27 Post by quik406 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:02 pm

if they have the potential to do it once they can do it again.
I disagree,I think we need some wiggle room... Example: I had a fast % at big springs because of the shortcut hard line. So it screwed my % and ultimately forced me to move up, even though I had other races under 76%.
But when I moved up I found some more speed so who knows.
10 point breakout is maybe to much IDK? But I know its not fun finishing 5th and being the first guy not to break out.

when people watching say, "that guy in the lead was 'goon' riding and when he got caught... picked up over a minute a lap!"
Tell me thats not sand bagging!

I realize its not perfect, and it is up to the rider to be honest. But maybe there is a better way....

Jason g

#28 Post by Jason g » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Im moving up, win or lose im gonna play it like a mastercard and keep charging. :P When to move up?

Frank

#29 Post by Frank » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 am

Just rambling on as usual, but here I go.

700 class – 74.1-78%.
500 class – 78.1-83%
Let’s look at some numbers and rules. 577 started out as 79 and says he had a fast race at Big Springs. His first race was not Big Springs and the performance at Big Springs did not entirely get him pushed up to the next class. At his first race, he ran a 78.3% which is 0.3 points over the 700 class percentile. His second race, Big Springs, added 5.8 points. 5th race added 1.6 and totaled 11.1 points ; 1.1 points over the 10 point rule. On his 6th race, while still in the 700 class, he added an additional 1.9 points to a total of 13.7, 3.7 points over the bracket percentile with the 7th race rule. He then moved to the 500 class where his percentages are much more in line with the class and he only broke out 0.3 points over his next 5 races within the 500 class. The move up from the 700 class was needed in turn to keep the 700 class riders within ‘fair’ competition.

556 finished the year, with 10.8 points on his 7th race, which was the last race of the year.
522 did the same with 13.6 points on his 7th, which was the last race of the year.

If I have read the rules correctly, I am assuming that all of our 500 rider are in good standings and can stay put.

Now lets look at a unique situation.
900 class – 68% and below
800 class – 68.1 – 74%

801 actually started out as 913. In the first 4 900 races, he accumulated 14.9 points. By the 6th race, he had 31.1 points. A total of 21.1 points above the 10 point limit in the 900 class. He was then moved to the 800 class where he accumulated 13.8 points on the 4th race, finishing the 7th 800 race for him at 21.9 points. 11.9 points over the 10 point limit in the 800 class.

Rules:
2. A percentile range has been given to each class name. Class names are unnecessary but used to help riders pick the correct class. After each race, all riders will be evaluated to see if their percentile is in the range for that class. Going above a percentile range is called “breaking out”. To allow for fluctuations, a break out system has been developed. Each breakout point is recognized and stored. When a rider breaks out a total of 10 points, the rider will move up. One example would be a rider who does not enter the correct class and breaks out by 10 points on the first race. A second example would be a rider who breaks out two points over five races. Once a rider has completed seven races, for that season, the rider will remain in that class unless the rider chooses to move up.

5. A rider cannot voluntarily move up AND carry points during the last three events. A rider can move up and race a class but no points will be carried for those events. Mandatory move ups can be done right up to the last race of the year if needed.

6. If a rider is told to move up and does not do so, the rider will be disqualified for that event and no points will be earned.

I do not know the rules very well, I am a poor reader, and I am not good at math, but I think a lot of riders are worried about nothing. If I need to make corrections to this post, please drop me a note. I did not mean to throw anyone under the ‘bus’ except for Kurt-(joke), but I needed some examples. I hope this helped someone out there.

Whether the riders numbers are close and they get left in the class or pushed up, we have to agree that Dan and his crew does a pretty good job at keeping this whole circus going. I think we have to focus more on one thing that we all have in common, we just want to ride and have fun!
Last edited by Frank on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

quik406

#30 Post by quik406 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds about right.
I realize nobody in vet adv. has broken out by the rules, but a few have run some pretty big numbers... 87's 89's
My question is " could it be changed to be more fair?" I don't know, maybe not. I am just asking.(not complaining)
Ask Dan.... I did not want to move. I did not think I was fast enough, but....Dan was right, I needed to move up, but from my view, I didn't see it that way at first.

I just wish I would have known earlier, and have been able to move up sooner. It was not fun to drive 3-4 hours and race almost all the races, for points, only to be forced out after 7 races and moved to a class I had no chance of winning. Believe me, I was not expecting that to happen...