New Rib Plating Procedure

General Bike Talk
Btrigg88

New Rib Plating Procedure

#1 Post by Btrigg88 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 am

I didn't post this in the rider down section because I'm not down anymore. This is just an FYI for those who have not seen this new procedure. Since we are T-minus 33 days till the season starts - something to keep in mind. If the post needs to be moved - sorry.

I broke some ribs at Chanute last season. I went the normal route - x-rays and oral pain meds. My general med doc looked at the x-rays and said I broke 3 ribs with one displaced on the back. I missed 6 weeks of work from the firehouse and still have some issues with the displaced ribs that have healed together a little shorter than stock. At the time I was only offered the standard rib treatment protocol.

Later I found Dr. Kaye who works at Overland Park Regional Medical Center. Dr. Kaye is a trauma surgeon who specializes in a new rib plating procedure. By the time I found out about the newer plating procedure it was too late for me. My displaced ribs had already stitched together and he was happy with their alignment - even though they were both about a 1/2" shorter. During his office visit he sent me down to the main hospital to get their new 3D CT scan of my chest. This procedure took about 5 mins. He said that X-rays are a terrible way to diagnose fractured ribs. With this new style of CT he found that I had 5 fractures total with 2 displaced on the back. No wonder I was hurting for so long. Lucky, things had stitched together and there was nothing he could do to make it better without breaking the old ones and starting over. He said that after plating, people are reporting no pain at the fracture site and usually begin to regain normal function in 4-5 days after being released from the hospital. There is also healing time from the small incision required to place the plate. However, he said for major trauma to the chest the incision might be much larger.

His procedure ideally needs to be performed within 10 days of fracture. The main benefit of the plate for me would have been pain free healing healing. The plates keep the ends from grating and speed up the healing process. He's trying to spread the word of this new procedure and hates to hear about people who went the conventional route and are still suffering. He's one of the few guys in the Midwest doing this procedure and he's central to FMHSC. I've included a link to an article that talks about the procedure. Also, I've included a few pics of my 3D scan so you can see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps someone. He uses most insurance groups. I'm on Cigna and the 3D scan cost me $200 co-pay - new year-new deductible:(
See you all soon.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2712881720

[img][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n238 ... G_3956.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n238 ... G_3958.jpg[/img][/img]
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

El Dog

Re: New Rib Plating Procedure

#2 Post by El Dog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I have seen patients for 18 years; treated many many rib fractures (including my own from racing). This procedure is good but is not necessary for the vast majority of fractures. There are injuries to the chest wall where someone actually suffers a 'flail chest' where the ribs are fractured in two locations, making it difficult to pull air into the lungs.
Most fractures involve a clean break thru the bone but the bone ends maintain position as they are held in place by the periosteum (tissue covering the bone) and three different layers of muscle between each rib (next time you eat ribs, pick the meat off with your fingers and you will see that the muscle fibers actually run in 3 different directions!). These usually resolve well within 2-4 weeks. I often do not even xray suspected rib fractures unless the patients current condition, respiratory pattern, level of pain, and inspection of the chest wall abnormality deems it necessary, as it doesn't change the treatment for the patient: 'at tincture of time, with no offending activity'.
That being said, that treatment aforementioned is state of the art, but not needed, and costly, in the majority of fractures.
Cool 3D imaging though!
...my two cents...and a co-pay! :D
Russ
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

Btrigg88

#3 Post by Btrigg88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 am

El Dog
I was on the same plan as you described till my back never quite healed up. Then I started looking outside the normal treatment regiment. Several of my breaks healed as you described within the first month without issue. However, I could tell that something in my back was different. Too late for me now but if someone ever has some displacement issues this might be a good road to go down. It's a road I never want to ever see again. Glad you enjoyed my $200 picture. I would rather have a picture of me on a motorcycle! Are you still wearing the PA hat??
Cheers,
Brian
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

El Dog

#4 Post by El Dog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

yes,
...sometimes easier to navigatge the hill climbs at Collins and the creek crossing at Warrensburg than to work thru days under Obamacare....but I am hanging in there...
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

shredder

#5 Post by shredder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey thanks guys for posting and also for posting it here as I might not have caught it.
I also have fixed many many ribs but mine were in my smoker!!!
Braaaaap! :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Speedysdad

#6 Post by Speedysdad » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 am

I hope no one else needs that procedure. As momma always tells Collin, "Be careful, but be fast".
Jim Wright
(Retired)