Rnd 1 | Collins Reports

General Bike Talk
ktm1991

Re: Rnd 1 | Collins Reports

#21 Post by ktm1991 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Sounds like I missed a good race! I went all the way to Florida to race in good conditions and all I got was mud, sand and knee deep ruts!

Mud Mucker Report: pulled in Saturday to sign up and get some practice in on their separate practice loop, my Dad and I immediately struggled with the ruts and soft soil, but knew what to expect. Sunday morning my dad lined up for the AM race in the C 45+ class he got a great start but lost the front end in the 3rd corner got ran over and possibly fractured his collar bone. So it was a huge bummer he didn't get to race the whole trip. After the AM race got some pointers from a Florida native parked next to us and got ready to go for the PM race. I got off to a good start in 2nd or 3rd through most of the grass track headed into the woods and all hell broke loose! Guys were going everywhere mudholes a quarter mile wide with lines going every which way. The advice I received didn't help as I fell 4 times in the opening lap and slid back to 9th. 2nd lap I found a groove and worked my way up to 4th, stayed steady and upright working methodically through the brutal 11 mile loop I found myself in 2nd on the Fourth lap! Then on the 5th lap I lost my rear brakes and legs cramps set in and got passed by one guy came through scoring at 2hr 50min and decided I couldn't hang on for another lap and called it a day. Ended up 5th in Open B and got to experience what it's like at the national level!

Jday Bostwick report: I got to walk the track the day before and see first hand just how deep that Florida sand really is! The first moto I swept the outside avoiding all caps and had a top 5 start made some moves in the woods and extreme section and got up to 3rd before getting stuck in a shroud deep rut. By the time I got out I lost several positions and got super pumped up, made a few passes and finished the moto 6th in open B. Second moto was much of the same story going 6-6 for 6th oa in Open B.

Had a blast and got to ride some very gnarly and different terrain! Will be glad to race some hard pack Kansas dirt this weekend at Milford!

P.S. Sorry for the Shredder length post
Ryan Grun
2014- #10
2013- #255
2012- #39
Thanks to my sponsors: Cycle Zone, Novik Gloves, Spy Optics, Answer Racing, Motorcycle Closeouts, Arnone's Lawn Care and My Mom and Dad.

shredder

#22 Post by shredder » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Seriously...Great post Ryan!
Thanks man!
:wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Laurentheracer

#23 Post by Laurentheracer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Well here we are again! It's great to have the season opener done, considering it is one of the most technical tracks we race. I am disappointed in my results but I'm proud of the riding I did at Collins.

First off, I started on the 800s row next to a guy wearing the same exact gear as me. We gave each other a "cool gear" and laughed. (One reason I love FMHSC is that most of the riders are friendly and even make things enjoyable on the starting line.) Second, I had Carley LeRette next to me which was awesome because I got to see her kick butt off the start! I unfortunately had bad luck in my bike not starting (hopefully a new battery will aid my troubles). I was last off the line and made my way after the first corner through the pack.

My next bad luck was on the far right uphill where 29 Sportsman class riders were making their way up the hill. Go figure my chances were high in bumping into another rider. Unfortunately, TWO other riders and I collided and went down. One guy did not look so happy. Either way I picked up my 250+ lb bike and made it up the hill. I spent the next two laps going as fast as I could while conserving energy and trying NOT to come off the bike. I found Jacob Martin on one of the boulder sections with his bike on top of him. I stopped my bike, picked him up and gave him a "keep up the good work!" Chuck Martin, your kid is AWESOME! I'm so proud of him for making it through that race!

Sadly, my last tragic event occurred while on one of the rocky uphills. My brother (#34) and dad (#311) had just passed me (my brother coming by before him :wink: ). I rode past one of the Ladd brothers who was sitting off to the side of the trail. I gave him a "woohoo" and blasted up the hill. That's when I got all "squirly-durly" and flew off the bike, landing on my right hip. The Ladd brother came to my aid and helped me pick up my bike and even waited for me to get going. (THANK YOU!) I couldn't move without my hip being in pain so I did the best I could to stay on the bike and finish the lap.

I was grateful for the checkered flag when I came in so I could get off the bike and see my battle wound. It is still a beautiful purple, red, blue, and green (and some other colors) and tender but whatever, Milford Lake is Sunday and I'm READY to race!

I'm proud of my brother for showing our dad "what's up" at one of dad's "special" tracks. I'm even MORE proud of my husband, Jeremy (#244) for his KTM 300 debut coming in 3rd place and 10th overall! You rock babe! :wink:

Thank you to my AWESOME sponsors: Motocross Ladies (www.mxladies.com), Letko Cycles, DeCal Works, Fly Racing, Bell Helmets, EVS Sports, FMF, Gaerne Boots, 100% Goggles, Maxima Oil, and Pumpkin Patch Racing.
Thanks to my sponsors: Jeremy Stretz #244, Mark & Jonette Shafer #311, Motocross Ladies, Letko Cycles, 100% Goggles, Maxima Oil, EVS Sports, Fly Racing, DeCal Works, Gaerne Boots, Bell Helmets, Atlas Brace, DP Brakes, Larry Beardsley CPA, Innerzyme, and AutismMX

shredder

#24 Post by shredder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Ed M wrote:Shredder I credit watching young Mr Stretz video of last years start as to where to line up. That and when I went to line-up I couldn't believe how tight everyone had lined up on that fence line. So I figured what the hell I will line up way right and see how things go. I got a good laugh when I saw you had caught onto what I was doing and how much further out you moved. I doubt I will make Milford so bake some fresh cookies when Walters Ranch comes around.
I was sitting there watching all the launches as the board drops and I thought wow what a mess and the soil was really loosening up too and all of the line is jammed up at the fence. Then it hit me.....THE VIDEO YOU IDIOT!!!! So I casually slip out of formation and try to look like I'm headed for the pits then hook around on the far end thinking I'm a cool cat till I look over and saw Ed and realized who really was the fat cat here.

I knew something was up that morning as I walked by the new weather forecaster my wife put up. It's suppose to tell you all kinds of stuff even up to 7 days out. The screen was blue so I went over to see what it said,
when I got up close enough to read it, it said "not as cool" FRUUMMP!!! I replied!!!
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

bmxpro2621

#25 Post by bmxpro2621 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:10 pm

I see some of the B riders kicking the A class's butts in the results. Looks like some ppl need to move up a level and show that class whats up. You don't see that every day.

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#26 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 pm

No way to accurately judge based on one race and especially that one.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

north65

#27 Post by north65 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:02 am

pro2621,
I am the dad of Logan388. Logan won the B Class at Collins.
Logan is 14 years old and previously has won ONE RACE, in
the Forward Motion Series Jr. Class at Polo in 2012.

The next race he raced C. He never won a C Race, but, was asked to move up. Logan moved to B Class and had a couple of 2nd place finishes last year.

I think you are a little pre-mature in saying that someone needs
to move up. I think if you look at last year, you will see that one rider won
many races in the B Class.

Btrigg88

#28 Post by Btrigg88 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:34 am

Wow, pretty early for the bump up topic. But while we are on the subject I could use about 10 people bumped out of 800 and I'll be set! Thanks in advance.
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

Jason g

#29 Post by Jason g » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Wow this B class is getting interesting already! I had a great start running 2nd until the big uphill, jumped up the hill and was in 1st for at least half a lap. The competition was really fun at 43 yrs. old I was concerned about my stamina. But as the race went on I got in the groove and paced myself for a really respectful finish, 2nd in the B class and I feel like I have a lot of potential left. looking forward to a great season.
I prayed for an old, wise angel who fly's faster than I ride. 2005 yz 250// 2000 cr 500// 2007 rmz 450// 2008 ktm 300// 2013 ktm 300 xcw.

shredder

#30 Post by shredder » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Collins was a weird race to say the least. On the first lap I was in the lead early - just after we entered the woods (45 +). I came up on a HUGE crash - bikes all over the place, too many to count. The 700's in the rear were just sitting there - one group had a crap game starting and another were doing a paint by numbers thing and yet another started a clean your bike station - while - u - wait! I being the current 45+ leader wasn't just going to sit and give up the lead I had so without hesitation I put the front wheel at a selected tree base, grabbed a handful and went above the bottle neck. I was surprised to see how long it was. I got all good bounces, hit a hidden log but my front end happened to be light at the moment so I jumped right over it and whammo - slid back onto the track! That situation happened more than once so I was up into the 600's and 700's when I went through scoring at the end of lap one. My wife was shocked! She was afraid I had cut the track after seeing me so up and into the other classes till she saw my schoolmates right behind me.

This Collins race wasn't the one to start moving people up and down on for sure. One second your doing great and then get zapped out from a rocky hill or whatever. It was an awesome course!
My 2 cents
:wink: