Things I forgot

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Things I forgot

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am

The 1000 row was supposed to start after the 800 row Once we lowered the top of that class percentile, it matched Sportsman much better so we were going to try the new start row. It could go either way so those of you who are affected by this, let me know your thoughts. I had my mind made up before but now I think the 800 class may be too big to start first. As long as I dont hear any issues about 1000 riders not moving over for 800 riders, we may just leave it alone.

On this topic, you 1000 riders need to percentile police yourself some as the top guys last weekend likely needed to be in the 700 class. Choose the right one and stop clinging to that age thing. I only use it to split up the classes, it is all about speed.

The second thing i forgot was the only way the percentiles work out is if we only race 1:55 for the second race. Oops. We did it most of last year and I simply forgot it this year. People!, I turn 50 this year, you got to help me with this stuff. Just glad I remembered how to get home.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Pumpkinpatch

Re: Things I forgot

#2 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

Iamdanjohnson wrote: People!, I turn 50 this year, you got to help me with this stuff. Just glad I remembered how to get home.
Dan,
At least you did finally remember. I turn the big 5-0 this year too and think that I've sucked too much race fuel fumes to ever recover.
I almost drove off with your money Sunday. :roll:

Hmmmm. Dan is gonna be 50. I'm gonna be 50.
Who else out there joins this illustrious club this year?
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

CowTown

#3 Post by CowTown » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Iamdanjohnson wrote:The 1000 row was supposed to start after the 800 row Once we lowered the top of that class percentile, it matched Sportsman much better so we were going to try the new start row. It could go either way so those of you who are affected by this, let me know your thoughts. I had my mind made up before but now I think the 800 class may be too big to start first. As long as I dont hear any issues about 1000 riders not moving over for 800 riders, we may just leave it alone.
I was not able to participate at Milford due to the event being moved, but my son was able to catch a ride with our friend Jason and did race. He races in the Sportsman division this year and he said only two things went wrong with his race. 1. Bottle necks out on the course (already been discussed in another post) and there was no alternate lines. 2. He could not pass the Senior/1000# riders. They would not move over. It was like they could not even hear him.

Maybe consider putting those hard to hear riders behind the 800's :lol:
#1018 in 2013
#719 in 2014
#745 in 2015
#518 in 2016
Father of Retired #845

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 pm

No Dan I'm not letting you slide under the bus this time. nope.

One of my assignments on the task sheet you emailed me specifically stated that you and I were to start the races. I was to check out the lines and make sure all the bikes were numbered, covered up or what ever, lined up straight and neatly and packed em in like sardines. You were more than busy trying to get the first show results by chiseling them into the limestone rock because of the printer foul up. (dan always figures out a way) I got up there on the second show and gave my military inspection to the rows. I almost diqualified WireFryer for eyeballin me. I didn't like the idea of him on that John Deere four fiddy and having more power between his legs than me anyway. The 40 vet row was definitely the best looking row of all despite the fact that Jim Pratt was in it. They were lined up perfectly...yup...The 1000's right in front of the 800's just as nature intended.

I'n not going to start up again all that stuff about reving engines instead of whooping or calling out but I know these dudes and if you whoop they move over - simple as that. OK now the facts. Typically we see more 800's than 1000's. Look at the collins results page (over all) and you'll will see the 800's and the 1000's mixed up as evenly as salt and pepper or as cinnamon and sugar as they cross the finish line. So with the percentiles being the same and it shakes out as an even mix at the end of the day then you should leave it alone and put the smaller of the 2 class in the front. Keep the smaller class, more experienced racers in the front. Keep the smaller class, more experienced, better lookin riders in front.

If you come up on a racer and use your vocal cords to whoop and he doesn't move out of the way, slow down, park, leave the track to go get a cheese burger - etc, then my friend you have a true race at hand. It's a whole lot harder to pass a classmate (slo mo jo) than it is to pass a slower rider you have just over taken.

Can we hand out walkie talkies to all the 800 riders so they can report to Dan and all the sweepers when someone doesn't move out of the way? We could put these culprits up on the trinitron big screen and hang it on the trailer that way when these big meanies get 3 strikes or call in's we can pull em off the track at scoring or have the girls in the scoring trailer just delete their respective numbers from the race so they don't register?

By the way we forgot to mention that 800 rider that blasted off the line with the wrong row. We went over and caught him as he looped around and stopped him till the 800's starting showing up and then let him go. Now the poor guy on the bike had to be confused as hell, (not sure who it was) he gets flagged down by officials yelling him to stop so he does, we see the 800's showing up coming around the corner only a little bit later so then we start yelling GO GO GO and I give him a slap on the back and he takes off! That was a cool fix Dan! (Dan always figures out a way)

One more thing... It's off the subject but hey that's the way I roll, Dan can you help me do an intervention? We got to get WireFryer off that green machine...friends don't let friends look silly.

One more thing...I was the guy who helped the first time rider sign up in the 1000's row. My bad. I was figuring that once this shakes out we could always move him up to the 700's if he runs away with it. Well dang...he did. Sorry bout that. For those of you who do not think I'm perfect...well then you and the wife will probably get along just fine!

One more thing - can we get a forum post police going too? some of the posts people put up are a friggin NOVEL!

Well that's my ten bucks worth.
Last edited by shredder on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Tank

#5 Post by Tank » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 am

Hey Shredder, that is just wrong to hammer my John Deere like that. It just wants to come out and play like all the orange bikes. Just because it is on medication that does not work to keep it from trying to kill me each time it sees a rock, uphill or a down hill and to die anytime that is very hazardous to my health :twisted: . Wirefryer found out that I was telling the truth about the bike having a mind of its own. Don't tell it, but it is going to get replaced by an orange bike soon that wants to help me keep the rubber side down and flutter over the rocks. 8) TANK
John
KTM 300 xc-w
KLX 450R
2014#1058 C Vet
2013#958 Trailrider

shredder

#6 Post by shredder » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:24 pm

That thing is A BEAST!
:wink:

WireFryer

#7 Post by WireFryer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes, Dan! There where a few speedy rascals in the Grand Class Sunday...., that will fit in just fine with the 700 club :wink: . (and one has 500 club speed to boot).

While I and a half dozen others where confused at the Milford line, after chewing on it under the hood all week, it's probably best to leave us Crafty Ol' Vets in front of the extremely well staffed 800 Class for the moment till' everybody settles into their respective Classes.

Now... , onto this " They won't get out of our way!!! " whining... :roll:

Nothing on that F'n! card we all sign at the scoring trailer, says that any of us have to ""Yield to a faster rider the INSTANT he/she materializes out of the dust.""

And, for that matter, nothing on it says I or anyone else have to get out of the way of anybody...

Someone letting you by is an act of good Off-Road manners and thanking them (if you have the time :| ) when you go by... is the proper response.

Expecting someone to get out of your way, just cuz' you ran them down, is foolish and petulant, and once you get to the top-half of the field... pretty much non-exsistant, everything is a dogfight on that side .

BTW... bouncing the rev-limiter on your 4s when you are behind me just makes me suddenly develop a rear brake problem that makes my bike 6 feet wide, after I get done laughing :mrgreen: .

Us old Vets will get out your way... when it's good for both of us :wink:

Whoop!

Tim
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

shredder

#8 Post by shredder » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Oh my gosh tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he just said!
Ditto!!!

I know you've already lost your mind but wow dude! glad to see you got balls the size of battleships. (hey sorry for the whole "eyeballing" thing, I don't want any of THAT.)
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

motoracr199

#9 Post by motoracr199 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:46 pm

WireFryer wrote:
Us old Vets will get out your way... when it's good for both of us :wink:

Whoop!
Very hard to pass a vet that doesn't want to be passed!
Re-educated myself on this issue at Milford last year.
David Stewart
Thanks to Dunlop, AXO, Dragon, and Fly Racing

TMAN

#10 Post by TMAN » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm

It's all fun and games until someone impeding progress causes someone to get hurt. I would hate to think someone could ruin a season of fun or worse for someone by not acknowledging the fact they are slower than a rider that "comes out of the dust". As Dan always mentions if someone all of a sudden comes up on you they are there for a reason! They either caught you napping or you need to get out of the way so they can hammer down :D
"T"
KTM 300 XCW

"Adrenaline is like candy and I have a serious sweet tooth!"

#769-2014
#969-2013