Walters Ranch Race Report(s)

General Bike Talk
quik406

Re: Walters Ranch Race Report(s)

#11 Post by quik406 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm

After an almost 5 hour drive I was ready to race. Live engine start threw me off, and I got off bad and ended up in the sticker bush. With a souvenir thorn in my glove (poking me all day)I rode on... After my 2nd nasty crash, and a close calI, I knew I was too far behind to try and make a podium, so I cruised the last few laps. ( I think it my be harder to ride conservative, than aggressive, but I crashed less)
Fun place to ride for sure! BTW a worn GNCC Takee is crap in the mud.

Speedysdad

#12 Post by Speedysdad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:17 am

"It was also a plus to beat the 311 at a tough rocky place"

Jared,
I can't believe you called out your old man like that. After everything he has done for you, teaching you to ride, buying you bikes, taking you to races, and you have to say it for all the internet to read. I am sure he is proud, now to provide some motivation for big sis!

That 388 is coming! Wonder how much faster he will be when he is old enough to drive?

Pumpkinpatch

#13 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

Speedysdad wrote: Jared,
I can't believe you called out your old man like that. After everything he has done for you, teaching you to ride, buying you bikes, taking you to races, and you have to say it for all the internet to read. I am sure he is proud, now to provide some motivation for big sis!
Perhaps time for some young gun to start learning exactly what the "old man" does for him. How fast will he go when parts start falling off? :roll:
Actually, his bike maintenance is coming along as well.

I guess that makes me a great teacher! :lol:
(pat on back)
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

shredder

#14 Post by shredder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Wow what a day! Walter's never disappoints me. I was surprised that I really enjoyed the live engine start, nice to change it up once in a while!

Got a good start and despite pain issues trodded on. I was looking good till the whole bike went dead. Took off the seat and found a battery cable came off. I shoved some paper towels and sticks in there and put the seat back down to hold it in place. Since I wasn't able to fasten it down correctly every time I stood up or hit a rock or ledge - etc the seat would pop off. So that's why you guys would see me pass you only to come by me again and watch me running from the woods carrying my seat with me. No I don't have a seat fetish just mechanical problems (again). All the barking and snorting my bike was making I wasn't even sure it was going to make it across the finish line!

Ol Slo Mo Jo came out to play so we got to bs a little. I enjoyed that.

Todd was out running sweep keeping the race safe for all of us. He was looking sharp in that vest. I"m of the opinion that Dan should just let ol Todd run sweep the rest of the year as he does such a wonderful job. He would always give me a smile of encouragement as I went by. I sure like it better when he is running sweep instead of running me!

Bill and Seth Thomas both on different rides so between the mud and new rides they probably still don't know for sure what the heck is going on.

Camped out with superfast , pam and alisia. Thank you for the tape to wrap around my band-aids and wrap to ease the pain in my hand. Thanks for loaning me the drill to make holes for the ol zip - tie fix, appreciated that.

Kevin Marshal was back and on his new stead. Didn't have the rekluse in it so there was some adjustment to that I'm sure plus adding in not have ridden in a while he did well.

Met Bob Jefferies out on the track. I was about to throw a tantrum in the midst of my seat frustration and he slides on by and says "were having fun!" Then I thought about it and had a complete change of mindset - being outside with my com padre's ...good or bad race results is always a good day! After that every time I had to run back down a hill to retrieve my seat I was laughing out loud to myself.

One more thing,
I was positive that starting behind the 800's was going to be a problem but those guys would let me by when I whooped em. I thanked each and every one of them as I went by. I hope I'm getting over fast enough for those fast guys. I really try to let you know I'm aware, give the left or right side a point and poof! they are GONE!!! Being behind the 800's and racing up through the ranks added a dynamic I enjoyed. Dealing with more passing while working with my classmates made it more like real racing.

Great job Dan and Crew. Don't forget about the ladies in the sign up trailer guys and gals, give em a high five or a smile, maybe even a thank you as they have a thankless job and they work hard to make it fast and easy for us racers!
:wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

DEA

#15 Post by DEA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm

quik406"]BTW a worn GNCC Takee is crap in the mud.

I was running the VRM 140 Tackee and thought it was prob the best mud tire ive ever ran. but it was brand new to start with also.
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

quik406

#16 Post by quik406 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I was running the VRM-300. It is incredible on the rocks, (Collins) but not so great in the mud.

dive

#17 Post by dive » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

quik406 wrote:I was running the VRM-300. It is incredible on the rocks, (Collins) but not so great in the mud.
The guy that got 2nd in the 500's and the guy that got 1st in the 700's both had vee rubber tires seem to work OK for them.
AN ARMED MAN IS A CITIZEN. AN UNARMED MAN IS A SUBJECT !

quik406

#18 Post by quik406 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

I watched Graham Jarvis win the S2S on a box stock bike! Rider skill! Nothing to do with bikes or tires. I know I don't have the skill...but IMHO a worn out VRM-300 is not the best tire I have rode in the mud. That was all I was saying.

Chad, is yours a VRM-330, and did it trash yours? Mine was pretty shot, But Walters knocked off a lot of lugs?

dive

#19 Post by dive » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 pm

quik406 wrote:I watched Graham Jarvis win the S2S on a box stock bike! Rider skill! Nothing to do with bikes or tires. I know I don't have the skill...but IMHO a worn out VRM-300 is not the best tire I have rode in the mud. That was all I was saying.

Chad, is yours a VRM-330, and did it trash yours? Mine was pretty shot, But Walters knocked off a lot of lugs?

Yap it trashed the vee rubber
AN ARMED MAN IS A CITIZEN. AN UNARMED MAN IS A SUBJECT !

motoracr199

#20 Post by motoracr199 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Lost a side knobby or two on a brand new Dunlop. That place is just hard on tires.
David Stewart
Thanks to Dunlop, AXO, Dragon, and Fly Racing