Brake issues. Boiling the fluid?

General Bike Talk
blister

Brake issues. Boiling the fluid?

#1 Post by blister » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Requesting knowledge and experience on this issue. I raced a KTM for the first time at Big Springs. I experienced issues with both front and rear brakes. Rear more so than the front. Seemed they would fade in and out of how well they were working. The rear seemed like it wasn't there at all occasionally. Then they would be working fine again. I did get some advice from the Brian Trigg (thank you very much) following the race suggesting I was boiling the brake fluid. Brian, I can't remember what you told me regarding that mod that may help?

Just looking for other experiences and advice. Is it a KTM thing as I never experienced this on the old XR? Maybe an issue with my riding style, like too much braking?
Thanks and happy to be that guy asking all the dumb questions,
Chad
J. Chad Joyce...#1040
05 KTM 450exc
Thanks to my sponsor: ONEAL

Btrigg88

Re: Brake issues. Boiling the fluid?

#2 Post by Btrigg88 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey chad,
I hope the ribs are feeling better today. I just mentioned the following things:
1. Fluid flush if you haven't already done that.
2. Make sure your pedal is adjusted and you are not draging it on accident. Some guys like to have it just above level with the peg and come on when it comes down level or just past.
3. Jeff Slavens has a a few mods that might cool you down.

I'm sure others will have some tips and tricks. I'm no expert on the topic.
Cheers!
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

Speedysdad

#3 Post by Speedysdad » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Flush the fluid. Use DOT 4 or 5.1. I recommend 5.1 Motul. We bleed in new fluid after two races or whenever the color looks dirty. Use carbon pads and not semi metallic pads. You will change them more often, but they transfer less heat.
Jim Wright
(Retired)

quik406

#4 Post by quik406 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:21 am

Flush helped mine, but in the end, I learned to quit riding them so much. It was very hard for me to do though.
Carbon X pads will fix it, even if you ride the piss out of them, but downfall is, that pad doesn't last very long.

swedishfishmx

#5 Post by swedishfishmx » Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Easy fix.

Fresh fluid, fresh pads, and stay off the brakes.

Heard EBC Red pads are the hot ticket too. Just don't run them when it's wet.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Gibber

#6 Post by Gibber » Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 am

Caliper and resevoir radiators will help as well. Besides cooling the fluid you get more fluid capacity.

Adjust your break lever lower so you dont ride it and go to DOT 5.1. Higher boil point. That should do it. If not you can always slow down! Yeah, Right!!!

Cool to meet you Chad and hope you are back to 100% by Ballard. Your bike looks great. Looks like you got a deal. And dont worry, I have the same thoughts about "What am I doing?" all the time. Then I cant wait for the next one!!!

See ya!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

blister

#7 Post by blister » Wed May 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to you all for responding to my question. The experience and knowledge are valuable to me. I appreciate it greatly. Got some work to do before Ballard, though. Just finding the time. Work sure seems to get in the way sometimes ya know.

Side note: I decided to get my chest/ribs checked out. I do work in an office full of orthopaedic surgeons and x-ray machines, so why not? Actually, I wasn't going to but my wife knows the nurses there so she kind of made me. One phone call from her and before I knew what was happening yesterday, nurse Marybeth had me holding a lead cover in front of the family jewels and radiation was flying through my chest. Dr. Jones took a quick look and gave the all clear. No fractures, no lung damage and a non-injured heart was actually seen in there too. Man, I'm such a wuss. As bad as this hurts, I was thinking at least 10 broken ribs, a hemothorax, severed aorta, or something...c'mon, how disappointing. Anyway, good to go as pain allows. I'm planning to make it to Ballard.

Steve "Gibber" great to meet you as well, and the several other of you for that matter. Sorry I stole your starting position on the line there. Guess I blew through another one of my "rookie mistake passes" on that one. :? I looked down and saw that block and thought "whoa, how nice someone left this great looking block here for me to use. I'm pretty short and someone is really going overboard to help...you Vet40 guys are so nice!" :lol: Then I had to straddle my front fender anyway.

Thanks again,
Chad
J. Chad Joyce...#1040
05 KTM 450exc
Thanks to my sponsor: ONEAL