Chanute race reports - too hot to handle?

General Bike Talk
Justin Mc

Re: Chanute race reports - too hot to handle?

#11 Post by Justin Mc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Gibber,

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. The thing I don't get is why they always seem to go out within the first couple miles of a race, but will then come back within another couple miles and will stay the rest of the race? It's like they are good to go but have to stop and take a govenrment mandated break, then can finish the lap. :wink: I'm going to definately give the 5.1 a try and lower my lever. I am a brake rider, maybe after they go out I take a more conscious approach to staying off the lever and work harder at letting the motor and front brake do the work. I know I HATE that oh-oh feeling :shock: when you have railed into a corner and hmmmmm, there appears to be no assistance coming from that rear brake. :? LOL

Thanks again.
Justin McFarland
'05 250SX

Ed M

#12 Post by Ed M » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Many riders coming through scoring were asking for water to be thrown on the rear brakes instead of down their backs, mostly orange bikes with a couple Husqvarnas thrown into the mix. People you have to stop to give someone a reasonable chance to try and throw water on that rear caliper. It's not that big of a target and can be difficult to hit with bottled water while the bike is on the move.

Had a number of riders that came to scoring looking for Dan to thank him for making the decision to shorten the races. I think #1034 Randy Wade was the only rider to do an additional lap after the first race was done.

I lost count of how many riders called it a day due to flat tires, I know of at least two in the vet 40 class.

I've cut trail for both hare scrambles and enduros before, but this was my first time working the "admin" side of things. Good to see and talk to a number of people that I know and only recognize in race gear. In civilian clothes it's funny I have to ask their names.

Where the hell was WireFryer? Isn't this race practically in his backyard?
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

Laurentheracer

#13 Post by Laurentheracer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

I have to agree with all of the other "heat haters" and was grateful for the shortened race. Even though I raced at 11, the humidity still made it difficult to breathe in my helmet and gear. I got to the line late and had to make a spot to the left of the large bushes, along with a few others. I didn't even realize it was our turn to go until I saw Dan drop the board and I shot off. I made it first into the corner and obtained the holeshot. I fended off 20 other Sportsman riders for a lap and a half until second place came straight into my line and knocked into my front wheel. I felt angry at first but I knew I had worked hard to earn my second place spot. I came in 2nd from there on out with very little opportunities to lose my spot. A few lappers wouldn't let me by which was a new experience for me. I worked hard the entire race to never go down and I never did!

I want to give a shout-out to the men in my life. Congratulations to my husband Jeremy, our friends Ryan Grun and Aaron JoRay, my brother Jared on 5th in his second A race, and my brother-in-law Brad for his 3rd place finish. Thank you to my dad, Mark Shafer, and Aaron Hightower for dumping water on everyone during the race, even with their injured shoulders and ribs.

Thank you Dan and the landowner for another fun race. I'm so excited to be back at Thurman in two weeks!

CHECK THIS OUT! The Saturday, before the Thurman race, AutismMX is having a ride day camp for individuals on the Autism spectrum. My heart goes out to this camp in more ways than one. The Parrish family is very close to me. They were my family in Columbia, MO and they allowed me to spend time with their two boys. One of their boys is diagnosed with Autism and is the reason why we have the AutismMX camp here in the Midwest. I am also in KU's Autism Spectrum Disorders Master's program and am dedicating my education to learning about working with these individuals. If you want to come cheer on those riding at the AutismMX camp check it out on September 6th! I'll be there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks to my sponsors: Jeremy Stretz #244, Mark & Jonette Shafer #311, Motocross Ladies, Letko Cycles, 100% Goggles, Maxima Oil, EVS Sports, Fly Racing, DeCal Works, Gaerne Boots, Bell Helmets, Atlas Brace, DP Brakes, Larry Beardsley CPA, Innerzyme, and AutismMX

J.P.

#14 Post by J.P. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Wow, what a hot and dusty race weekend! This race certainly separated the men from the boys and no one was half stepping it either. There was some real racing going on and no chance to let up. All I can say is shredder can stick to your rear tire. Him and I were battling it out the better part of the last 3 laps and he was putting on some serious pressure.

I first came across him at one of the splits in the trail where I took the easy path (by mistake) and noticed someone in the rocky river bed below and slightly ahead of me. Mad at myself for missing that line I decided to make up some time and try to cut this character off at that pass. I grabbed another gear and gave it all I had. While his front wheel was approaching the intersection at a rapid rate I was continuing to accelerate and decided to call his bluff and hold fast. No contact was made so I think no harm was done as I barely squeezed in front of him. From this point on I had a loud 4 stroke on my tail that I couldn't shake. At the big river crossing with the hill climb I noticed someone was struggling up the hill on the other side with a junior rider waiting for his turn halfway across the bottom of the river bed. I crept down into the bed waiting for him to move forward and as soon as he made forward movement I started across building speed to make it up smoothly hoping this junior rider wouldn't stall out halfway up. I had just about reached the base of the climb when I heard a 4 stroke getting on it hard and coming along my left side. I decided I wasn't letting off and continued holding my line. This is when I was introduced to shredder as we got tangled up at the top of the hill wedged together on our sides and he exclaimed a friendly "sorry" :( . He was lucky enough his front tire was resting on top of the hill and didn't tumble down the hill which I think was partly due to my bike being under his, unfortunately I did tumbled down the hill while trying to drag my bike loose, but no worries, I had a soft mud patch to brake my fall. It's also where my handle bars landed which took me a while to dig out and lift up with my wheels still up hill. I may have dropped the F bomb upon completing this task only to see a family sitting along the opposite river bank spectating (with a few small kids). I'm very sorry to those kids, didn't see them until afterwards. :oops:

Good news is I eventually caught up with shredder at the log crossing where he must have gotten hung up and I was able to pass him. This is where the real pressure started. The rest of the race he was breathing down my neck through thick and thin. It wasn't until I heard a loud crack toward the end of the last lap and the absence of a loud 4 stroke on my tail that I feared he hit a tree. I was glad to see he recovered and finished the race strong. As I said, there was no letting up during this race, everyone brought their A game which made it very exciting despite the heat and limited visibility due to the dust clouds. :wink:
J.P. Fay
2011 KTM 350 XC-F

#73 - 2016 - 2017 (Transferred to CORCS)
#785 - 2015
#1050 - 2014
#787 - 2013
#785 - 2012, 2011

Thanks to my sponsors:
Atlas Brace, Acerbis, OGIO, Dragon Alliance, Dunlop Tires, Torch1 Racing, Braking and Decal Works.

slow ride

#15 Post by slow ride » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm

I want to thank everyone that braved the Kansas heat and came to the race. My family truly enjoys this weekend ever year (maybe a little more when its cooler). We have met some great people and I'm always amazed at how far some of you have come. This year we had a rider that came from Salina but is from South Africa. I know two of the six years we have been doing this we've had a rider from New Zealand. I actually got to watch some of the races this year, and have to admit some of you are just plumb crazy, but its a blast to watch. Have fun and be safe, and hopefully we will see you again next year.

Greg Taylor & Family

vetteracer77

#16 Post by vetteracer77 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:02 am

Well it was a memorable race, but it didn't go as I had planned.
Lined up with the 600 class and was ready to go. The board drops and the 3hundy fires up and I realize I'm in neutral. I pop it in gear and get of the line. I barely make it around the first curve and I get hit from behind by another rider. We both go down and I land on his rear wheel. Laying on a moving wheel is never a good place to be. We get the bikes up and I take off, now in dead last. The bars are crooked and my right elbow feels wet, but I manage to catch and pass two riders. I decide to pull over and straighten the bars by hitting the front wheel on a tree (this doesn't work as well with a steering stabilizer). I manage but lost one of the positions I gained. About half way through the second lap the steering feels heavy. Flat front tire :twisted: Decided my day was over, I ride out the rest of the lap on the flat and then head back to the truck.
I check out my elbow and find my jersey sleeve is covered in blood. I find a gash on my elbow. I figure its never good when it looks like meat is hanging out. A little gauze and an Ace bandage solved that problem for the time being.
Oh how I hate mechanical DNFs. I decide I could enter in the 500 class for the second race. Thanks to J.P. Fay #1050 and Matt Fay #878 for fixing my tire while I got registered and ready for the second race.
I line up with the 500 class. Now it actually felt hot out. The board drops and the 'ol 3hundy doesn't start, I'm dead last again and this time it seemed way dustier. I just start making my was through the dust. Managed to catch and pass a 500 toward the end of the second lap. I was getting pretty tired and knew it wouldn't be long before the pro class would be catching me so I decided to call it a day before I hurt myself anymore.
I get home that evening and unwrapped the bandage, the wife wasn't impressed. After a little internet research I decide to go to the E.R. Turns out it was full of dirt and the doctor said he could see the bone. After getting stitched up I finally get home around 11:00.
No trophies this weekend, just six stitches and a sweet bruise on my thigh. Which by the way was clearly caused from landing on a moving chain wheel, I would estimate a 49 or 50 tooth judging by the bruise.

Thanks to the land owner and everybody that make the races possible. I had a good time and even manage to race for a full two hours.

Headed to Rampart Range this weekend for a little seat time before Thurman.
Braaaap....

Justin Mc

#17 Post by Justin Mc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 am

Hey Greg, a big thank you in return for allowing us to come race your land. I enjoy seeing you once a year when we are setting up. Maybe next year I'll get ahold of you a little early and come over and work on clearing trails before the race weekend. I really enjoy your ground and it's a great thing for our series that you bring us in each year.

Thanks to you and your family for all you do.
Justin McFarland
'05 250SX

yellow jacket

#18 Post by yellow jacket » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Too Hot to Handle??? Well, back in my day this was just a walk in the park. After all, I am a child of the 60's, Maybe I just thought it was hot in the old days. I want to thank Dan for shortening the race, He is smarter than any of the rest of us. My brain was at the boiling point during lap 4 and I was seeing and hearing things that were not there. I think the land owners need a big thanks also, it is a great place to ride.

The race was a blur for me. I had a perfect game plan thought out and nothing went according to plan. I was gated by Joray and my plan was to follow him right through the pack to the front. As they say the best laid plans just do not work. John and myself could not even get our biked started. Hell, the shredder was only seconds behind us. OK, new game plan, pass a bunch of people and make them follow me off the course and into an meadow, I got at least 5 guys to follow off track, only problem was I did not know where to get back on the track. Well let's try PLAN C "DON'T CRASH". Plan C went perfectly and that was the difference maker for me. I was a tired old man after this one. Take my advise and do not do any bicycle racing the day before an event like this.

I am finding that this class has a lot of hard racers left in it, but after the checkered flag has dropped, it is Miller Time and we end the day thanking each other for making it soooooo worthwhile.

P.S. I am looking for a tire sponsor, Dan is killing me with these rocky sections

Tom Brunholtz
(Yellow Jacket)
1969 Honda 160
1972 TS 185 J Suzuki
1972 Suzuki MT50
1973 Maico 440
1973 CZ 250
1973 Can Am 250mx
1974 Rokon 340
1984 KTM 500mx
1981 BMW RT100
1991 BMW Paris Dakar rally bike
2006 Suzuki RM250

shredder

#19 Post by shredder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 pm

OK, OK, OK, OK. The rumors about my death were greatly exaggerated. See for me this race was simple. Just get prepared, check the bike over and get a good start. The dust was going to be a problem so I was going to push hard for being in the front pack as the dust was going to help keep the back half of the pack at bay. As usual I get "the perfect plan", line up, the sign drops and I trash all plans and go with what I got...ya know?

I get out on the track to practice and return just as Dan is giving us the riders meeting. I shut off my engine and push it back to the trailer quietly and Stacey and I decide to turn on the Wi-Fi on my goggles so she can watch through my eyes on her cell phone (that's another topic altogether.). I know I'm running late but crap! Stacey says "Hurry the six's just left!" I hurriedly finish up, put on my helmet, glass and gloves and rush up to the start and find that all my classmates have already gone. I roll out aggressively and Dan gives me that "whadda ya thinkin?" look and holds the 900's one more second to allow me to exit because he knows it's going to get bloody if he let's the 900's go right when I'm having my tantrum. BOOM...I've got a serious attitude, I'm heavily motivated, locked, loaded, on my way....all hell is coming with me. I'm gone like the wind blows.

I'm running at 115 percent of my abilities and I'm getting away with it so I get used to the whole power sliding thing around the corners while keeping up on the front wheel and it's working great. I got snagged behind Bill and Jeff. Passing bill on single track is like passing a bus on a one lane road traveling up an icy mountain path...in the rain. He covers EVERYTHING! Jeff is getting twitchy, I know he is about to make a move so I put away my water and expand my chest as best as I can to get as much air in as possible.... The instant Jeff goes left on the inside, I slide outside and using momentum keep it all quiet till it's too late and flat out give it hell and the deal was done! Now it's too late.....BOOM...2 down. I hit the after burners and start digging the power sliding deal I'm learning in the dust. Way cool but I'm eating a lot of dust too.

My glasses are fogging up so I ride one handed and let some air in and get a nice dust film on both sides of my glasses. This is hell when the sunlight comes in from the sides. As I'm fiddling with my gear I see a puff of dust at a corner and spot another target - 1050. I took the creek that I learned in practice and saw JP go the trail route - He shrugs his shoulders so I knew that he knew better, so when I realized how bad he felt by taking the long line... I ....of course GASSED IT!!! Hell yes!!!! I puffed up my chest and let the r's rev up to say "I'M BIG AND I'M COMING THROUGH!!!". yup...I look over expecting to see him cower and lower his lance because - first in first out, right? Well what I saw was a dude finishing 2nd and grabbing third with forks fully extended and front wheel 2" off the ground and raising. Crap. He threw down a gauntlet because if I don't yield I take us both out. (did I say "CRAP" yet?) My front forks go down, I slide a little as JP slips in and he is gone like the wind. It was the coolest move of the year (except ol Joray sliding down that slick hill to make a pass on me the last lap at Adrian.) I was grinning and said wow this dude knows how to get it on! Let's DO THIS!!!!! I just railed him. I was so close and then I moved in, He goes left - I go right. No over revving, screaming or horn honking you see... just racing. I cover him, I burn him, I twist him, I push him, I prod him, he raises an arm and I put my helmet in there, I cover him, I move him, I push it even more, little boot polishing here, little shine on the rims, if JP locks it up we are going down and WE JUST GO TIGHTER AND FASTER AND THIS CRAZY SOB IS LOVING IT MORE THAN I AM!!! I'm getting so much dust in my nose, eyes and throat that I'm starting to realize i'm getting the bad end of this deal. It appears now that I'm not sure that JP even knows I'm back here....OK...now what? That's all the tricks I have today and untill now it's always been plenty to screw with a guys head.....HHHMMMMM... Man this dude is more patient than Tom is....ok somethings up....

I ride over my head once again and get away with it... till the rear brake goes out. It's easy to tell exactly when this happens - yup... you're the first to know... BTW, grabbing the hell out of the front in the dust...well...well.. (just look at the previous pics.) Dennis falls down and goes boom (again). Caught up to JP in the river bed flat. I noticed him waiting at the flat area. Because of my dusty glasses I didn't realize there was someone stuck on the hill and thus the waiting..., As I roll down and in I glance at JP and I JUST FRIGGING HAMMER IT! LONG AND HARD! even pulled the front wheel to try to break his spirit. I did see him start to roll out as I passed him but I was sure he would drop behind me...then I heard a four stroke thumping hard, singing and ringing. WE ARE ALMOST EVEN AND HE IS GOING FASTER THAN I AM! (did I say crap yet?) He took the sweet spot just as he should have, I took the high side on the left so as I made the left turn I could block his path after the top and blast outta there......well we hit the apex at the same moment and right at the top my bike slides down over to the right and I fall over and pin his bike to the ground. All I could do was apologize with my sincerest apologies....I said "I'm sorry", but how do you say to a fellow rabid adrenaline race junky "I am so sorry that my attempt to screw you over failed and now I got us both wiped out?" I guess what I'm trying to say is "I'm sorry I just got caught!" I pushed with all my might with leg and arms, lit it up, gritted my teeth and spread enough loam soil to plant a potato farm. As I started making tracks and went to warp speed 4, Carma watched me unnecessarily spray rock and soil down all over the lower, underprivileged people down below and once again I was gone as the wind blows.

Got up to 1051 and railed some tight sections as he was just trying to steal Gibbers milk money and run away with it. 1051 digs in and his shoulders told me this was it...He makes his move and I'm way ahead of ya pal... I grabbed some throttle and go wide right just as 1051 goes to the inside. Gibber looks left and sees 1051 but then looks right and hears me roar as I try power sliding the turn. Too dusty and not enough bite as I'm loosing traction in the deep turn... Gibber's arc in the turn puts him right into me but instead of just putting me to bed and taking me out (which anyone couldn't have blamed him for keeping what was already his) he let's off and keeps all of us on our wheels and we fall back in line....Carma once again taking notes...Hmm. I am actually starting to gag on how much dirt that is in my nose and sinuses as well as my throat....It's starting to burn.

I get mixed up here and there but I'm throwing my A game, added in an audible, faked the pass and even rushed the passer- these guys didn't even flinch. The rule for today was put up or shut up...you want my spot? well come up here big boy and take it from me. I miss the start and running 5th with 4th in my sights and I just go even faster, even more focused. Someone chuggs the log which I OWNED ALL DAY!!!!!! so i slam into him, hear my classmates closing in and I realize I'm high centered on the log and I gotta get off my bike to pull it back and hit it again as all the guys I passed once again just ride around me and the log parade style. Carma slips out of the woods, looks my way and flashes a big wide white smile as she strolls past and back into the woods again. After all that I'm back in 7th. (did I say crap yet?)

I'm furious. I ride even harder and much faster. I found JP once again - last lap and I'm running out of time. I pull a Leaderhouse move (bet the farm and go all in) and just pass when I knew everyone would just be making their way through the double corners. I come in way too hot and lock up the back brake to get the bike sideways and grab a handful to power slide around the corner and pass 3 dudes at the same time and put my name on the Balls of Steel plaque,,,,,,and my rear brake is gone. I see an oak tree. My name is on the tree....Carma has just carved it in. I just ejected - really... just jumped off. I didn't even hesitate. man I never even THOUGHT that before. But I knew how fast we were going and that mighty tree had my complete focus so I knew instantly which way I was headed. I jumped off....I still can't believe I did that. I'm ok with it...just something new. My bike leans over a bit and the front plate hits the tree and it sounded like a home run hit at a Royals game.....sounded like a diesel tractor trailer rig running through a balsa wood factory. Man I'm glad I didn't see THAT through. sheeeesh......Carma looks at me and gave me such a warm smile and disappears into the woods while I get up and go look for what's left of the Husky.

Ironically my wife Stacey is actually back at scoring and meets JP's wife and they start chatting as both of their husbands are hanging it out, going toe toe Tyson style, no holds barred, got the big pants on and aint nobody backing down. Just epic solid fifty cal shooting till the barrels glow red hot for three solid laps in the scorching heat and humidity. That was the coolest purest 3 continuous laps of racing I've ever had. (Sorry Devon this is even better than running you down years back when your water ran out)

As I zipped off at scoring and probably nicked your heel as I tried to stop on lap one, I asked Dan if I keep going slow will my brakes come back?" Without hesitation ol Danno just pours his cold wet hydration water on my rear caliper, pour water on it he yells. I start to tear out and he yells..."wait! try it first!" (oh yeah - good idea) I tap the rear and voila! I rip out and go JP hunting again. I can't believe that I didn't think of that. Dan I am glad that your Momma taught you to share your water but man your priorities are screwed up. I don't think she meant pour it on an over heated caliper. I gotta stop riding the brakes. Anyway thanks for giving me my race back. And once again the coolest dudes at mile marker six- pouring water on my rear and keeping the light on! You guys were smiling every time I came limping in for help. Thank you.

HO LEE COW. WOW....The Gentlemen's club just rocks. I went to hang out with Tom and give congrats for his win and met JP in the trailer. What a great dude. Put up or shut up, race clean and get the green.....................sue weeeeee t.

well that's about it I guess....that was more fun than picking your nose! :wink:
Last edited by shredder on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

shredder

#20 Post by shredder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 pm

By the way I didn't actually crash in the pics.

Nope.

A lady taking pictures asked me to help look for a four leaf clover for her little girl. I just slammed my machine to a quick stop only using my front brake and if you look closely you can see me examining the grass to locate a good four leaf clover to give to the nice lady....that's all. :wink:

And yes Randy Wade was the only one to ride an additional lap because I know for a FACT that the dude is really a MACHINE. It's as simple as that. Cool to hang and bs with, awesome wife (who also rides on 2 wheels I might add), but I tell you what you try to put the screws to him on the track and...and...

well, just don't poke the bear - ya know! :wink:

WireFryer was on the fence for this one but didn't come out to play. His internet is down or I would take this opportunity to put my boot in his a$$.

Ed you look better on a bike than on the sidelines...just sayin :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!