Thurman Reports

General Bike Talk
jstr244

Re: Thurman Reports

#11 Post by jstr244 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Some great reports on this one!

Got up early Sunday to make it out with plenty of time to make it to the track and get the birthday girl, Lauren all set up!

Made it to the track and took a practice lap with Lauren, jayshafe, pumpkinpatch sr, and kaseodip! Track looked a good deal like last year, which was cool with me since it earned race of the year. Thanks to the land owner and race promoter for all of the hard work on getting the track in great shape for another one!

I love the split races because it gives me an opportunity to watch Lauren race, and she had a great one! Rode hard and smart all day for a 2nd in class, how about that for a birthday present! Glad to hear Jacob is doing well after watching him and Lauren duke it out all day, that little guy can ride!

At the start of our race I lined up around the middle and had a good jump going into the first corner. When we hit the woods I saw Aaron take the right line and I think Greg followed him into the woods. I chose the middle hoping I could pin it to the left hander before one of them and ended up being right, well, kind of. Greg and I entered the corner near the same time and he slapped my rear wheel as I went by causing me to lose my balance. (sorry Greg) After I dabbed to regain it, another rider got by. All-in-all I was happy with a third place start.

I somehow got by second and before I knew it Tanner was pressuring Aaron and I in a three-way battle for the lead. For a few laps Tanner, Aaron, and I went back and forth. Tanner finally established himself as the leader and I was able to sneak by Aaron after he made a mistake on the AA hill.

By the next lap I was making a run at Tanner when a log across the trail kicked my rear end up and sucked my leg into the rear wheel so fast I didn't know what to do! That ended up putting me on the dirt with a messed up knee brace! It was so messed up I had to pull my pants down and moon my class as they all went by and I scrambled to get it fixed. :lol: Thanks big Joray for helping my pop it back into place and his son for stopping to see if I was alright!

Once that happened I was a little anxious to see if I could put in a charge back up to the front. It took the rest of the lap to pass a few racers and catch up to my brother-in-law. I was hoping we would have a great battle, but we came up on Ladd pinned between two trees and he hollered "help!" as we went by. I decided I'd stop to see if he was alright and help out. Was passed by three other A classers before we got his bike out and once we got moving again it started another fight for position. Just after the AA hill I felt I had a good run on Brennen and pinned it up the choppy straight, that's when disaster struck!

Heard I was riding my 300s rear wheel up the hill then when I went to set the tire down I lost it and ended up on my head. Luckily I was wearing a good helmet and neck brace and I am able to sit here and type this! Thanks to EMT and landowner for getting me taken care of and out safely. Also big thanks for everyone that took care of loading us up and helping us out. Went to the hospital to get stitches in my chin and a CT scan on my head and neck and was given the "all clear". Thanks again for the help and support to everyone.
Jeremy Stretz #244
'13 KTM 300 XC
Thanks to:
PumpkinPatchRacing
Malcolm Smith Racing (MSR), Dunlop Tires, EVS, 100%, Maxima Racing Oils, Letko, Donnell's Motorcycles, Cycra Racing, & Decal Works

shredder

#12 Post by shredder » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 pm

JoRay wrote:

I was really looking forward to this race being race of the year last year but that was a rough SOB. My arm pump started right after the first good down hill with all the breaking bumps and it ended up being slippery down there so the was my first lay down of the race. Even on the start my bike hit right off but there was some really aggressive old men out there. Talking about old men Tom and I battled for a couple of laps back and forth and I took a

My son 227 Aaron JoRay kicked some but this weekend with a nice first place in the A class. Feeling pretty proud of my little guy.
I'm glad Jeremy's story ended with a happy ending.

Congrats to Aaron Joray for a win! I can tell by looking at the results page that he battled his way up to first, great job!

And for my 1000 compadre's you guys ran full tilt and still stayed right in the percentile bracket we should be running on a fast hard/rough track. My hats off to Tom and John who pounded it out and JP who has got game in the after burner department as well.

I won't make Merwin either but John you and I have a lot of unfinished business to do my good sir and it's going to be tight - right down to the wire.... but that's the way we like it anyway, ain't it? :wink:
Last edited by shredder on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Btrigg88

#13 Post by Btrigg88 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 am

Wow, what a difference a year makes. This track was a good lesson in whoop avoidance. I felt like I was at eagle ranch again. I'm usually pretty sore after a race but this one really hit hard. Those crazy one log bridges were exciting to cross. Some of those downhills were do or die for sure. I thought I saw helicopter over by the start when I was crossing the flats but I've have seen any reports as to who needed it. Silva and I stayed for EMT work after Dan lost his ambulance due to another injury. I was sorry to hear that so many needed that kind of assistance.

Shredder, you made a good decision on this one. Judging from the condition of your bike at the last race, this one may have caused more than cosmetic damage. However, I did locate several nice soft spots for superman landings. At least the logs I landed on were nice and rotted.
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

advbeach

#14 Post by advbeach » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 am

Finally got the gopro and garmin gps heart rate monitor out for this race. Here's the link to the first full lap of c-vet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNsC9GgZzA

and a couple screen shots of the information and tracking from the garmin.Image[/URL[URL=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/advbe ... 6.png.html]Image[/URL[URL=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/advbe ... 8.png.html]Image
Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

Btrigg88

#15 Post by Btrigg88 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Silva, I see your top speed was 52mph. Did you leave that thing on during the drive home??
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

advbeach

#16 Post by advbeach » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Brian, you may not realize this but your bike has a 6 speed transmission. You might try using that 5th and 6th gear sometime, you'll be surprised how fast that 300 will go. :lol:
Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

J.P.

#17 Post by J.P. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Ok gentlemen, I must say this race was the hardest terrain I've raced on this year. If it wasn't for the local racers (that haven't raced any other race this season) Tom would have taken 1st, myself 2nd and Joray 3rd excluding them from the results. As shredder said, our percentages where good just not good enough though. :cry:

After the race, dispite barley being able to open my hands, my group and I had to hurry up and load up my camper with the bikes and gear so we could head to the Omaha airport where I needed to catch a flight for a business trip to Vancouver. I can tell you airplane seats aren't any more comfortable after a 2 hour race.

During the practice lap I realized quickly there was quite a few places where bottle necks could occur with no good alternate paths to get by.
On the hole shot I think I ended up 5th or 6th place but was 8th place by the end of the first lap. By the second lap of the race I had to start taking chances by passing other riders from different classes stuck on some of the up hill obstacles which was a huge risk but paid off.

On the third lap I came across a traffic jam of riders trying to get up the hill climb right after the muddy river crossing. There was quite a few people lined up and as soon as it was clear I took my turn and made it up. As I approached the top I recognized Joyray who was pulled over and reaching down on the left side of his bike, which sounds like he was buckling his boot. I passed by him and never looked back. :?

I don't know that you owe me a beer Tom because I didn't race any different than usual, I just didn't get caught up in the carnage like some.

I return from my Vancouver trip late Friday evening, and will load up the bikes and gear to head to Merwin Saturday afternoon.
See you guys there. 8)
J.P. Fay
2011 KTM 350 XC-F

#73 - 2016 - 2017 (Transferred to CORCS)
#785 - 2015
#1050 - 2014
#787 - 2013
#785 - 2012, 2011

Thanks to my sponsors:
Atlas Brace, Acerbis, OGIO, Dragon Alliance, Dunlop Tires, Torch1 Racing, Braking and Decal Works.

jerad741

#18 Post by jerad741 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:20 am

lots of them locals have raced all year long they just race the iowa races , that is why we had a forward motion race up here thought it would be fun to try and get both series together, I can promise you when we come down to races south of Clinton that is stuff we don't ride on and never turns out as good. we will smooth things up next year just wanted to keep the challenge this year , some people like that extra challenge . their is a enduro about 5 miles from were that track is on October 5th it is about 85 miles and their is some cool stuff in that one it is under the iera website been having it for about 40 years if anybody wants to come up for that challenge , I know their is no forward motion race . thanks jerad

Pumpkinpatch

#19 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm

jerad741 wrote:their is a enduro about 5 miles from were that track is on October 5th it is about 85 miles and their is some cool stuff in that one it is under the iera website been having it for about 40 years if anybody wants to come up for that challenge , I know their is no forward motion race . thanks jerad
Jared,
Is that a time keeper or restart style of enduro?
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

jerad741

#20 Post by jerad741 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 pm

this is the first year for the restart . it had always been a time keeper but changing this year . I guess that is ok , I think it is good for the younger kids to learn the time keeper way but oh well.