Patching Tubes? Cheap or what?

General Bike Talk
Frank

Patching Tubes? Cheap or what?

#1 Post by Frank » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:47 pm

I would like to know if any of the really fast riders are as cheap as I am. If so, would they (or you) ever try to patch a tube? Is this a really bad idea? Does the cost of a new tube outweigh possibly destroying a rim, losing a lead, or crashing? Can the patches wear off of the tube with all the flexing of the tire? After this weekend, I have four tubes just sitting here. Two rears that I figure are shot and two fronts with small thorn holes. I am debating whether to attempt fixing the front tubes. If you do not want to identify yourself, or another rider as being cheap, you can just send me a note. Wait! Don’t most of us look forward to the opportunity to throw each other under the bus? I will be looking forward to who has what to say. Oh, by the way, don't start with "I have a friend" we know better.

Thanks.

quik406

Re: Patching Tubes? Cheap or what?

#2 Post by quik406 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm not fast but I have patched many. If you know what you are doing and use the correct stuff, it is an industry approved standard fix. I haven't patched my own stuff in a few years cause I don't use tubes. ;)

Btrigg88

#3 Post by Btrigg88 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:14 pm

You don't have to be fast to get flats! I proved that at merwin - had one in my front. It looked like a pinhole from a thorn. I would have no problem with patching a small hole. Most might say to change tubes with new tires. I did that with my BMW 650 dakar because I was on the road a lot. I didn't want to die because I was too cheap to install tubes every year. I have about 14 races on the same tubes so far. However, I noticed some issues around the rim lock so I'll be changing that next. I hope to move away from tubes this winter funds permitting. I'm sure that if you were racing more seriously than I am you would want to get new tubes in frequently.
Brian Trigg
KTM 300 xcw
2012-#9131
2013-#979
2014-#840
2015-#88

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Ok, I know a guy...

I have patched many tubes. I run the ultra thick and I have NEVER had one fail. Clean it good, scuff it up, apply the rubber cement and rub it in, let it dry properly - not too long , apply the patch and use a wheel tool to work in in and BOOM! Good as new. I will get rid of a tube that looks old or worn before trashing it just because it has a patch on it. Besides I gotta save all the money I can to keep the supply of bike plastic coming! :mrgreen:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

f-five

#5 Post by f-five » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 am

My guess is that most of the "FAST" guys are running bibs, tire balls or tubliss. A few years back Dirtrider said you could use grass and straw as a way to fix a flat in the field, just stuff that grass in there instead of tubes and no more patching. :) Seriously though, you are really on a roll right now and I hate to see you waste that because of a patch. Just buy a couple new tubes for the last race.

Gibber

#6 Post by Gibber » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:50 am

I have patched tubes and ridden with them. Mostly as an emergency. When I apply the patch I use a couple a small blocks of wood and a quick clamp to press on to the tube and let the cement dry up. My idea then is when I get back from where ever I am that I would replace the tube and keep the patched one as a spare. Doesn't usually happen that way and so far so good.

Truth is Since I switched to the Michelin Ultra HD 4mm tubes I haven't had much in the way of flats. These tubes are awesome and may be the next best thing to bibs or balls. I think Letko has them and I usually put in new ones with new tires. They cost about 25% of bibs.

I know the fast guys swear by the bibs and I am sure they are right but I cannot justify the cost plus I understand they are almost impossible to install with standard tools. I will just keep running the UHD tubes for now. Besides, if I keep riding as slow as I did at the Mevern race I should have nothing to worry about! :shock:

Hope this helps.
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

ktm1991

#7 Post by ktm1991 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Bibs are the ultimate fix and a late Saturday fix would be a patch for a race but other than that definately a new tube it's what $30 you spend 3x that much in gas and entry fee would be silly to not replace the tube in my opinion!
Ryan Grun
2014- #10
2013- #255
2012- #39
Thanks to my sponsors: Cycle Zone, Novik Gloves, Spy Optics, Answer Racing, Motorcycle Closeouts, Arnone's Lawn Care and My Mom and Dad.

AJ227

#8 Post by AJ227 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Patching a tube is not an issue at all if you do it correctly it will be just fine. My dad was a tire guy for 5 years and he showed me the correct way to do it and they never fail. So if it's a small hole from a thorn patch it. I know bibs are expensive but they last me close to a year and at 130 or so a piece that is a small price to pay for the peace of mind to never have a flat ever. Bikes, gas, parts, tires, gear, trailers add all that up and try to tell me they are too expensive. Tubes are in my rear view.

shredder

#9 Post by shredder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 pm

I agree that most of the time bis are great, but please don't say never, ever get a flat. My second race with bibs my rear bib blew up and took me out of the race. Ryan Grun helped me haul the damn bike back in Tuckers Dad's truck. It was hot and it sucked to be taken out at Drexel where I don't usually even get flats there. Don't get me wrong - bibs kick ass but they can fail also - it's rare yes but it happened to me. :mrgreen:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

AJ227

#10 Post by AJ227 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm no expert but the only time I have seen that happen is when they are really wore out or the person putting them on messed up the bead on the tire while installing it. But crazier things have happened.