Epic Turn at Melvern! post em here!

General Bike Talk
wadedawg

Re: Epic Turn at Melvern! post em here!

#11 Post by wadedawg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:28 am

Melvern was great fun racing with all my FMHSC friends. No unscheduled get offs and 5 laps all in the 25 min range left me with a lasting memory. I want to especially thank Shredder for leaving that Husky part in the middle of the turn.... I grinned every lap while I was running my Dunlops over it! Due to my job relocation this would have to be my last FMHSC for a few years. Maybe I can practice some more and get a little better so I can keep up with the rest of the 10 class. Huge hoorey for all the workers and another shout for the land owner for letting us come out and enjoy his property. RIDE ON and I'll see you in a few years! WHOOOOP
2010 XC-W450 SD #959
2012 XC-F350 #1034
2015 XC-W 300 SD TBD

rbradley

#12 Post by rbradley » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 pm

I would like to Thank Everyone for coming out Sunday to the Melvern Race.
We enjoy putting it on as much as you all enjoy racing it and watching it.
We can not put this race on without all of your support and the volunteers that help put it on every year. We will continue to have it as long as everyone continues to come out. Any suggestions on improvements to the track are always welcome.

Thank You All Again!!

Robert Bradley and Staff
Land Owner Melvern

shredder

#13 Post by shredder » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 pm

wadedawg wrote: I want to especially thank Shredder for leaving that Husky part in the middle of the turn.... I grinned every lap while I was running my Dunlops over it!

First of all let's not all get so excited about more Husky parts laying in the middle of the track. Yes it's true that I do loose a lot of plastic during a race but all of you who race with me know that I just like to "snuggle up" a bit and when 2 different machines try to occupy the same space ...well...it creates "evidence".

No I didn't loose that lower tank faring on the left side laying in the track on that turn. I lost it a long time ago and had it overnighted "air freighted" in. I'm guessing that the plane was trying to get as close to me as possible for the drop. I saw it there from the second lap on and as hard as I tried I hit the damn thing and just ran right over it EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Short story... (you didn't think you heard the last of ME yet....well did ya?)

The fact is I had the mindset that nothing mattered except I wanted to tail JP and try some new stuff. Had it all figured out in my head already too! Trouble is I forgot that YOU GOTTA FIND JP FIRST! It seemed it was going to be easier to get a glimpse of Sasquatch or win the lottery before I get a good up close look at the JP. Just when I'd get my hopes up ol JP would just squirt away...So I honestly do feel bad for Jim Presley 1099.

I'm on the last lap...it's do or die...I've been chasing down this little dust cloud at every turn and kept pushing it HARD just knowing it's JP... I just flat out go super sonic and finally catch up only to realize it's Jim Presley 1099 not JP 1050. I'm guessing JP already made his move on him. Knowing that Jim is probably still burning at being passed by JP it was really going to be interesting trying to pull off an encore. The moment happens - were both ready and the last bumpy downhill straight we both hammer it and pin it. I'm wearing glasses so I have double and triple vision because of the classes slapping all over hell, I don't care now. I got nothing to loose so I keep going through the gears. Just as I get up close and personal the sharp corner appears so it's all we could do to shut it down and slide at the corner. It sinks in as I realize it's all over but the long twisty back and forth zig-zag to scoring. Looks like I'm getting the ride of shame yet again FOR THE THIRD TIME! I was afraid that this might happen so all day long I searched this area and never once saw anywhere to make a reasonable pass on anyone, anywhere, period. However buried deep in my disgust within myself while zigging and zagging to the finish of shame, boiled up some very acidic bravery or as I like to say an incomprehensible amount of stupidity and total disregard of one's safety or any type of self preservation of any kind. i'm moping along and just as Jim make the hard right which starts the big u-turn...dog leg thing I see the only chance I got. I lay down tight to my bike, literally kiss my gas cap grab a hand full. Trouble is when the front wheel came up a little tiny branch cuts my face from the corner of my mouth to my ear making me raise my head back (the cut felt cold and I immediately thought it could be serious), this causes the pine branch to grab my already taped on visor and pulls me all the up and way back and looking skyward, which causes some other larger branch to smash my glasses into my face breaking off the right nose pad and embedding it into my face. I feel the bike do it's magic and clear a log or rock or something and in my panic I pulled in the clutch lever which let's the front end slam back down and clear the obstacle, I decide to open my eyes and I'm sitting perfectly centered on the track, engine idling (I love fuel injection), tranny already in gear. My first thought was "wow, I didn't crap my pant's!" I look to my right (which is filling with blood) as Jim yells out something LOUDLY like "OH NOOOOOOO!!!". I twist the throttle gingerly, gently slipped out the clutch, stayed balanced like I meant to do that. I rolled another 50 feet to scoring and dialed in a two second lead on jim Presley.

Jim goes thru scoring and pulls right up to me and I'm figuring he is going to just flat out punch me square in the face for pulling a stunt like that. (after all it's soooooo out of character for me you know.) Nope he is the bigger man, he is laughing and say's man...what a pass! I'm pretty sure he was as shocked as I was! I'm still sitting on my bike trying to absorb and take in exactly what the hell just happened and would really be happy if someone would just tell me what day of the week it is...

No I'm not proud of it. I did it on a 1/100th of a second decision. I was not to be denied again, no, not today, not again and I was going down fighting (that a prerequisite in the 1000's row ya know!). I will say right here in the forum - Jim - fellow dude - I done ya wrong man. Just remember the sting and that sting may be all you need in your belly to get around me at Carbondale. Cause now I gotta be watching MY back!

I told this story so we racers ... from now on will call this a SloMoJo.
A SloMoJo is while racing dirtbikes in a difficult, hectic, dangerous or otherwise area that needs complete concentration just to navigate it and get thru using great care and caution so as not to hurt yourself, THAT"S WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR MOVE!, GO ALL IN, BET THE FARM AND JUST DO IT.

The move worked this time and boy what a rush! I have a killer face scabs that people know that either I'm a bad ass racer or maybe I talked back to the wife one time too many because every single person I met today said - what the heck happened to your face?!
I'm not necessarily saying that if we did it all over I would do it the same way, again...just sayin it worked out THAT time.

Anybody know where I can get a good deal on lower left Husky tank fairing parts?
:mrgreen:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Mw559

#14 Post by Mw559 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Hey MadManMoto, I was the poor chap that took the tumble in the 500 class. Glad someone noticed my gymnastic skills. Dust was flying and that tire was nowhere in sight. Thank god I came off the ground in one piece and way in last place after what looked to be a pretty good start. Finished the day in 7th place and thankful to make it home intact but definitely feeling my age a couple days later.

bugler

#15 Post by bugler » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm

I am hoping someone posts that video from the quad copter camera at the start!
Jay S. 2013 KTM 300 XC
'01-#713, '02-#713, '03-#75, '04-#74, '05-#502, '06-#53, '07-#531, '08-#1077, '09-#1007, 2010-#753, '12-14- #1070
Don't pray for life to be easy, pray for the strength to deal with it.

yellow jacket

#16 Post by yellow jacket » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Will the Shredder post those pictures that his wife took of us?
Tom B. 1035

advbeach

#17 Post by advbeach » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Here's the link to my gopro footage of first lap of c-vet, also included a few screen shots from that video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHEUjSAoqQ
Image[/URL[URL=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/advbe ... f.png.html]ImageImageImage
Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

shredder

#18 Post by shredder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Way Cool!
Thanks for taking the time to put that up Silva!
You da MAN! :wink:

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

f-five

#19 Post by f-five » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Mw559 wrote:Hey MadManMoto, I was the poor chap that took the tumble in the 500 class. Glad someone noticed my gymnastic skills. Dust was flying and that tire was nowhere in sight. Thank god I came off the ground in one piece and way in last place after what looked to be a pretty good start. Finished the day in 7th place and thankful to make it home intact but definitely feeling my age a couple days later.

Matt,

Those were some sick gymnastic skills but you didn't quite stick the landing. A few of us that didn't get such a great start got a good look at the get off and it looked pretty nasty. I was glad to see that Husky back up and running with the pack, nice recovery.

-- Ted

shredder

#20 Post by shredder » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I'll give it an 8.5 - coulda had a 9.5 had you stuck the landing.

All kidding aside - glad to see you up and ok. :wink: