KTM 500 EXC

General Bike Talk
blister

Re: KTM 500 EXC

#11 Post by blister » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Is your 500 EXC street legal with blinkers and all? If my 450 was, I would have lost all of those parts by now. That's because I'm an idiot. I've been on a large learning curve this first season of mine. My first race was Milford. Like Gibber reported, I too was a nervous wreck. At the time I was on an older XR250. I had a difficult time getting it started on the line and was last to leave. My first race I learned about fatigue, cramping, hydration issues and was amazed by how physically challenging these hare scrambles are. I also crashed once or twice because I was going faster than my skills allowed for. I had a total blast and was hooked.

I raced a second time at Walter's Race. I was more relaxed and had worked on my conditioning. Live engine start and I nailed it. Things went better but I still crashed a couple of times because I was going too fast. Now I'm totally hooked, though, and shortly picked up my first KTM ever. The FMHSC guys provided a lot of input and help in deciding on which bike. Against all advice, I went ahead and got a big ole 450. I'm a KTM guy now and loving that.

Next race for me was Big Springs. Good start, going real fast trying to move from 3rd to 2nd place and had a crash attempting to pass. Resulted in badly bruised ribs and inability to finish more than two laps.

Drexel was next. Had a middle of the pack start, but found myself in first place for the first two laps. I was able to take advantage of the leaders being "bogged" down in a large mud hole. I cannot describe the awesomeness of seeing that I was in 1st place as I went through the scoring shoot. But again, going way too fast (for me) and crashed trying to regain 1st place after the stud man John Joray took it away from me. Man, that was fun racing him for a while. Unfortunately, this crash was severe and left me wondering what the heck am I doing. Felt I should probably give up on this adventure. But I patched up and couldn't wait to race again. It's pretty addictive. Here's another great thing about the guys you are going to be racing with...they stop and help you when it's bad. People are obviously more important than winning here. Hey, I still don't know who the two guys were that gave me a hand that day? I think Steve "Gibber" really said it well with his recommendation to not be pushed to out ride your individual ability. I finally learned this but the really hard way. I think I have finally figured it out. I'm competitively driven and brave, err stupid, enough to try to go as fast as the top vet40 guys but my current skill set won't allow me to do it at a safe enough level. So, I plan to slow down....a little bit. :)

I last raced at Thurman and did really go at my own pace. I also found myself racing a little scared. I still I had a great time and had more individual racing battles with guys like S. Gibber and T. Sexton than I remembered from previous races. Best of all, I went home in one piece. That is, after Gibber helped me change a flat tire on my truck...thanks again.

Hope to see you at Carbondale. I have learned a lot this season and hope to work on my skills next season and make more races. The whole FMHSC family is great. You'll get whatever help and advice you need. I'm biased now but hope you join up in the Vet40 class. We need another big 4-stroke KTM in there anyway.
Chad
Last edited by blister on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Chad Joyce...#1040
05 KTM 450exc
Thanks to my sponsor: ONEAL

jetskier

#12 Post by jetskier » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 am

Ya blister, it is the street legal version, even has a horn, which may come in handy when I am out of breath trying to pass someone if I get so lucky, LOL. Before I bought it, I read and watched a lot of reviews thinking it is going to be an all around good bike, and so far it has. I just returned from Colorado and rode a lot of trails there, some stuff very technical, almost went down a few times but managed to never lay my brand new bike over. We where at Rampart Range on a trail called Noodle which had an up hill that I had to get off my bike and turn it around and try again, second attempt I made it. That in it self was a huge confidence builder, I accomplished an obstacle that I thought no way am I going to try that again. I think once I get the first crash out of the way, and not worry about my bike I will be more relaxed. I never rode over my head in Colorado, knowing if I go down I could hurt myself, so hopefully will apply that same logic in a race and ride my own race. That in itself may be hard to do when on the line and all the testosterone is flowing. As far as the bike goes, hopefully I wont rip off my blinkers, they are very compacted and tucked in pretty well, its pretty much an XCW with blinkers. The bike still needs to be setup for me, according to the manual, I need the stiffer front and rear springs, or I could just loose 25lbs, that would be the cheapest option, no need to upgrade and less money at Dillon's.

Tony :D

shredder

#13 Post by shredder » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:32 am

Well put Chad,
I can't believe I'm saying this but I don't think I could have said it better! (Did I really just say that?) We "older" guys are there for the excitement and the battles. I am not willing to push it too far to hurt myself or others to enjoy this sport but we do push it as far as we can and sometimes things happen.

There is more than one story that I know of out there involving different groups of racers and different races where 2 or 3 guys locked in a very heated battle for XYZ position (it doesn't matter), and get tangled up at XYZ area (it doesn't matter), and all go down. The dudes involved all get up, check each other out, get the bikes up, get back in the proper order and blast off again just to see how it all shakes out for that day. At the end of the race you have life long memories and learn what your made of. And this is the best place I know of to get it done! (FMHSC)

The 1000 row is the best bunch of guys I've ever ran with. Although I am very skeptical because I'm not really sure that I want to hang out with a group of guys that would have me as a member! :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

whatnext

#14 Post by whatnext » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:25 am

Are all tracks open to riding for practice, or just getting in some seat time?

Gibber

#15 Post by Gibber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm

You will be able to practice 9:30 am before the race. Carbondale is fun but you will get passed by the faster rows. They will be hauling the mail but they are not out to run you over. Best thing you can do is make sure they know you are aware of them when they want to pass (Engine rev limiter or the infamous WOO HOO). Then find a spot you can move over to let them pass without taking yourself out. That will usually get them to exercise a little patience. Since you are not in it for the points right now best thing may be to pull over and stop. That will change as time goes on but it is the safest bet for you right now.

Chad, just want let you know you are spot on. I did some of the same things in the beginning. Need to clear one thing up though.

Helping you change a tire on your rig after the race so you can get home safely is my pleasure. I'm glad I could help. However, Changing a flat tire on your bike during a race is a totally different thing. You may very well be on your own!!! :lol:

As Dan Johnson says; "It's all good"!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

whatnext

#16 Post by whatnext » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks for the advice gibber I look forward to the start next year. I also plan on coming out to Carbondale to watch the last race and see the flow of things. Hope to meet you out there.

jgordo

#17 Post by jgordo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:07 pm

For $15 Paul allows riding at Carbondale on non race weeks. Although I personally would not recommend riding alone out there for the first time. It can get confusing really fast!! The best time to free ride is the week or two after a race. Paul leaves up the trail markers and ribbon.
Thanks to Big Time Bail Bonds, One way custom paint, flatland Racing, Factory Skid mark, Dragon Alliance, Duro tires and Protaper. And our newest backer Cooper Construction.
2016 #727 on a 16 YZ250x
2015 #77
2012 Husky TXC250
2014 #727
2011 KTM 250sxf