Going to miss you guy's and Merwin

General Bike Talk
rj wohlberg

Going to miss you guy's and Merwin

#1 Post by rj wohlberg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 am

Hey guy's, just wanted to let everyone know that after 15 years we, with a heavy heart we have decided to call it quits here at Midwest Extreme park and are going to focus on our mx track at Kingsville. Merwin has been my pride and joy for all these years but the time has come to move on. I know Bill will carry on with with the property, and has races planned for 2015.
I really enjoyed my time with the FMHS crew and i am really going to miss all the riders we've had come thru the gates, the fmhs family are the best. So if ya get a chance to hang out with us at Kingsville that would be great. And maybe i'll get a chance to come to one of the races and just hang out.

Ride safe and most of all have fun.

Thanks
R.J. Wohlberg

BIG E

Re: Going to miss you guy's and Merwin

#2 Post by BIG E » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 am

RJ, thanks for giving us a awesome place for us to ride and race at all these years! I had lots of great times and memories at Merwin. Merwin is still one of my favorite tracks i have ever ridden on. Thanks for all that you did for us!!
I will for sure see you at kingsville this year. Eric
thanks to: cycle zone ktm,czr suspension
eric #620 for mx and 820 for the woods
2011 350sxf

http://www.facebook.com/green1

swedishfishmx

#3 Post by swedishfishmx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 pm

RJ,

I have had some great times riding out at your place, well before I even thought about racing.

My Dad, brother and myself would ride down there a lot during the summer. I remember one of the first times riding, my brother and I not wanting to cross a little creek filled with some water and my Dad got upset and starting throwing all the rocks off the trail so we would actually ride.

Merwin will be missed, but don't worry, I'm sure plenty of us will show up at Kingsville for a little mx practice.

Thanks again and good luck in the future with Kingsville.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 am

RJ,
I've got many good memories setting up, riding and racing at Merwin.......

One of my most favorite racing memoriesis the day at Merwin when I finally choose to show ol Slomojo that I wasn't backing down anymore at exactly the same time on the same down hill jump He decides to up his game too and just pinned it and smiled....We were side by side and really going way to fast to start with as we hit the take off....flying through the air I look over to my right and no kidding ol Slomojo was exactly bar to bar, front tire to front tire with me. I remember looking down and thinking "wow...we've been in the air a good long while", as I looked at the ground and made sure the landing terrain was to my liking I couldn't help notice that Joes Honda shadow and my Honda shadow were even steven. We touched down and the front shocks compressed at the exact same time. Then we had that totally epic right hand turn at the end of the jump and both of us went way - way past the point of no return and just hammered and pulsed the brakes and prayed we would make the turn and both of us knew we didn't deserve it.

When my rear tire slipped off the edge of the 20' tall rim and all Joe had to do was drift ONE MORE HALF INCH and just push me off the ledge (and no one woulda thought any less of him if he did) and I could hear Joe grunting as he laid his bike down so far he even drug his footpeg to keep from drifting into me. Joe would do anything to win, psyche you out, pass in the worst spot possible, maybe spit some creek mud at ya but He never fought dirty. NOPE. I found out what kind of dude he was that day at Merwin. After the race (which he beat me that day by the way after I crapped my pants ridding the rim for about 18') I went and found him in the pits and we became close friends and started slamming Cokes after every race as we debriefed. It became a ritual. I asked him "Joe, why didn't you just push me off the edge? All ya had to do was flip your front tire a little left and my turkey was cooked for sure!". NAW he says, "If you was going off the edge then it was gonna be all you buddy....besides I kinda wanted to see how it was all gonna turn out, ya know?"

Your a stand up dude too RJ. Thanks for all the good times at Merwin! Well done!

Joe...don't leave me hanging here man. I know your in colorado but back me up here ol buddy. (Holy crap! I hope he even remembers that day!) :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

jstr244

#5 Post by jstr244 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:23 am

RJ, it's been a pleasure to ride and race at Merwin for all of these years! It has been my favorite stop on the FMHS circuit and I have made great memories there, even back before racing took hold.

You have always done a fantastic job on the MX course and every update to the track was enjoyable. I know most people don't know, but you actually did a lot of maintenance on the trails through the years as well. Thank you for all of the hard work!

My favorite Merwin memory comes from a race in 2006 - Merwin 1. Brad and I were racing in the B Class that year and it was slightly slick and muddy. The racing was tight in the B class that year, and I believe Brad was running strong in the top 3 up until the last lap. I came around a corner to find him stuck underneath his motorcycle in a very precarious position and unable to free himself. I stopped next to him and leaned off my bike trying to pull his up just enough for him to get out. This left me awkwardly standing over him while my motorcycle stood straight up in a muddy rut. As soon as I got him out and started to lift his bike up, another rider came by and nicked my bars sending me falling over on top of Brad and his motorcycle again! We eventually freed ourselves and rode to a 3rd and 4th place finish.

Thanks for the fun times RJ, we'll see you out at Kingsville for more!
Jeremy Stretz #244
'13 KTM 300 XC
Thanks to:
PumpkinPatchRacing
Malcolm Smith Racing (MSR), Dunlop Tires, EVS, 100%, Maxima Racing Oils, Letko, Donnell's Motorcycles, Cycra Racing, & Decal Works

WireFryer

#6 Post by WireFryer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Gonna' miss ya', RJ! Surely the same level of Professionalism will continue with Bill.

Always looked forward to the races there, but mostly came home with nothing more than damaged pride and killer stories:roll: .

Tim
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

KTM SLIM KARL

#7 Post by KTM SLIM KARL » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:55 pm

A blast from the past Merwin 1-15-2012 It was 61 out that year!
Yes lots of good times I am proud to say I am going on my 3 year of being the
announcer at Kingsville looking forward to 2015 Going to try to make some woods races this year.
The flag man SLIM!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IT IS THE LOVE OF OFF ROAD RACING THAT DRIVES ME AND MY INTENTIONS ARE CLEAR
IS THAT I LIVE FOR THE MOMENT I AM NOT AFRAID TO FAIL
I WOULD RATHER FAIL MAGNIFICENTLY THEN FAIL TO TRY
Mo, MX #750
FMHSC#1050
2011 KTM 350 sxf
1980 KTM 250 mx

rj wohlberg

#8 Post by rj wohlberg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:56 pm

I remember that day Karl. Springs coming.

shredder

#9 Post by shredder » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 pm

I remember that day!
Brad Hacket, Jeff Fenton (T-Climber), Dennis Tschirhart (Shredder), Karl Karesh (Slim Fuji), and Scott Georgen (Superfast) and of course the infamous Mr Joe Leaderhouse (Slomojo). I think Wirefryer was there too but we don't ever let him in the photo shots. :lol:

That place was always a good time!
Thanks RJ
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

tclimber

#10 Post by tclimber » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

I remember that day also man that was fun i do miss it you never know someday just maybe :D
Finally a two digit number 75 for 2012