Hauling a bike with Tacoma or bumper hitch

General Bike Talk
Harvey Mushman

Hauling a bike with Tacoma or bumper hitch

#1 Post by Harvey Mushman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 am

I may buy a Tacoma 4dr which has a 5 foot bed, with the tailgate down it's 80" long. I can get my bike in the bed but the contact patch of the rear tire is only about 4" from the edge of the tailgate, a little closer than I like. I can go corner to corner but that's a pain on my old back. I was considering using a receiver hitch carrier but have heard good and bad things about them. Anyone else carry a dirt bike in a late model Tacoma with the short bed. Thoughts?
Thanks.
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...

swedishfishmx

Re: Hauling a bike with Tacoma or bumper hitch

#2 Post by swedishfishmx » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:03 pm

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2n ... e-bed.html

This is about street bikes but looks like a similar problem to what you have.

I would get a bed extender that doubles as a ramp.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Blazin Bob

#3 Post by Blazin Bob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Hey Harvey, I might be a little off topic here, because you are concerned about the bed length, not the height, but have you thought about hauling your bike on a trailer? Actually, now that I think about it, a trailer could solve the bed length issue you have as well. I drive a Tundra, and after having a few close calls while loading/unloading the bike with wet tires (in the rain, at car wash) or trying to load it by myself after a day of riding or racing and you are dead tired, I decided that a trailer was the way to go. Went out and bought a utility trailer, mounted a toolbox and some bike shoes on it and have never looked back. I will admit that sometimes a trailer can be a small hassle while backing it up or maneuvering in tight areas, but for me the secure feeling of the lower deck height versus my truck bed made loading and unloading even in less than ideal conditions a snap. I never have been too big a fan of those bumper hitch mounts. I guess they are alright, but they just never seemed that secure to me. If a trailer is out of the question, I think Swedish Fish is pretty spot on with his reply. That's my long winded two cents. :D

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 pm

I got a bumper hitch dirtbike carrier and put it on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3 weeks ago for quick in and outs where I'm not doing the RV and enclosed trailer deal. I got that bike carrier from harbor freight. On the one hand it worked perfectly but on the other hand I never took my eyes off of it watching it bobble and bounce around constantly all the way to Milford lake. Still glad I got it but unloading my dirtbike isn't easy. I have to lift up the rear wheel and put a pin it so the bike rolls off. It's really a two man deal. So after all this...I'd go with Swedishfishmx.

I'm going to do a slomojo lift carrier deal by modifying mine with a 12 volt electric trailer jack. all I gotta do is ride up on it, flip the switch for it to lift up and tie it down. This will eliminate the lifting. I'm going to beef up the "slop plates" so it's not bobbling around back there.
My 2 cents :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

DEA

#5 Post by DEA » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

i have an amped research bed extender that i can part with if you pull the trigger on that tacoma. shoot me a pm, make me an offer. came off a dakota but should fit the taco.
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

dvl104

#6 Post by dvl104 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:35 am

I have had a couple of the newer Tacomas. Great Truck. I used the Amped research bed extender. No problems at all. I would donate mine to you. You would need the hardware but I have the bed extender in the Garage. Let me know if you want it.

gcat7

#7 Post by gcat7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I have a 2015 Taco double cab w/ short bed & works just fine with the tail gate down. I use the hard tie downs points up front & the bed mounted D-rings in back with straps to the pegs. Solid as a rock. Even hauled two bikes in it a few weeks ago no problem.

Had a 4-runner with a cycle country hitch hauler and it was too goose-y for me...that's why I bought the Taco.

G
Greg Catanzaro
2019 #55
2018 #574
2017 #740, #574
2016 #1074
2015 #740

Harvey Mushman

#8 Post by Harvey Mushman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 am

Some good insight here guys thanks very much. A trailer is the best option Bob but I don't have a good place to put it when not in use, besides, I probably couldn't back it up worth a damn. I think there are some decent hitch carriers out there but I still prefer the security of carrying the bike in the truck bed. Thanks very much DVL104 for the offer on the bed extender. I'll be in touch if I score the Tacoma. I did some recon on Amp Research and they are a really cool company started by Horst Leitner an old dirt bike guy who started ATK and was a hell of a rider as well, a real cool story and some really neat products. One bed extender they make swells out in the center to accomodate the overhang of a bike tire on the tailgate, a neat design.

http://www.amp-research.com/company/history/

Thanks again guys.
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...