Walter's Ranch 2015 - time to enjoy some gnarly

General Bike Talk
Pumpkinpatch

Walter's Ranch 2015 - time to enjoy some gnarly

#1 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:15 am

Welcome to the official post for Walter's Ranch 2015.
I'm excited to take a shot at race promotion.
We'll see how this goes.

As Dan's Schedule Page description says; this race can run pretty much rain or shine. And, it's one of those where us "Flatlanders" get to enjoy some really primo "hard loam". Rock translated.

The course will be much as we have grown accustomed to, a mix of flowing wooded trail and sections of slow-going gnarly. We'll have easy/hard sections for those who want to keep their pipes dent free. No guarantee against flats though; so save up for heavy tubes and get those in.

Text me or PM me with your work requests and I'll do my best to fit you in.
Helpers coming forward already!

Thank you,
The Management
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

Pumpkinpatch

Re: Walter's Ranch 2015 - time to enjoy some gnarly

#2 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:40 am

Update T-15 days.

Trophies ordered. Even going to provide an Overall Award.
Plaques with a cool Kenzi Photography photo on them.

MSR Racing supplied some arrows.
Home Depot saw me haul out some stakes and ribbon.
Getting excited.

If anyone wants to come do some trail recon tomorrow, a few of us plan to be over there around noon.
http://www.thewaltersranch.com/
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

Pumpkinpatch

#3 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:51 pm

Update - T minus 7 days!!!
Counting 'em Down FMHSC

Worker list sorted out - will post assignments tonight.

A few final logistical items taken care of this week working around the weekend full of the holiday and the Off-Road Cup.

About 5 miles of a good mix of flowing rocky trails with sections of fresher cut stuff ready. This Friday we'll cut in about a mile of new stuff on the south end and finalize the north end a bit more.
Mike Walters leased out a small corner of the property on the southeast end; so, those who remember that section by the small pond and old truck; sorry but that will be out. We'll be short a little bit of total mileage but, in it's place will be some new stuff.

The creek at the middle of the property is looking good for some gravely wet toes action. That's not arrowed yet as I wanted to keep that primo to just before race day.

Still working on how to include the famous ledges on the northwest corner of the property without having to post some workers to catch those wanting to "improve" their lap times by taking a short cut or two; but we'll do that if we have to. Many like those little ups and downs.

Rain or Shine; this layout should be fun and passable. So, bring on some sprinkles; load your motor scooters and come out and enjoy some Northern Ozark loam.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Pumpkinpatch

#4 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Update T-minus 4 days?

The weather has been kind to us, which means a little rain. This place craves water. No chance of a rain out here.

Trophies will be awesome and we have all the usual comforts of FMHSC on order, EMT and "facilities". So, all shaping up for a great event.

Trail Report - Plan is to have a nice mix of new and fresh cut stuff to keep all the regulars on their toes and the newbies happy. Fast, flowing, rocky, solid, good Ozark loamy goodness all set for you. Plan to come out and play.

For those who ran the Off Road Cup; we will offer a free service of blister creating rock gardens for you to warm up in!
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

swedishfishmx

#5 Post by swedishfishmx » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Hoping we (Mark and I) can get some updates Friday mid-day. IF their is enough service.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Brveagle

#6 Post by Brveagle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Looks like they are calling for some thunderstorms... Only a 90% chance as of now.. Should be a fun race!
KTM 300XC

Pumpkinpatch

#7 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Brveagle wrote:Looks like they are calling for some thunderstorms... Only a 90% chance as of now.. Should be a fun race!
It's almost surreal that the forecast is looking similar to two years ago. That, my friends, was one of the most fun races I've ever run. Started out wet, got beautiful and we packed up and left just before a late afternoon shower.

If that's the case, this will be awesome!
No rain, even more awesomeness.........
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

swedishfishmx

#8 Post by swedishfishmx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:53 am

Update: Saturday morning 4/10.

Course is shaping up nicely. No dust and only a few puddles that shouldn't be an issue.

2 miles of fresh cut new stuff. One is rocky, the other is not.

Shooting for 9 miles. It's a mix of the usual stuff that Walters Ranch offers but with some really good flow!

Come out and enjoy!
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Pumpkinpatch

#9 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:22 pm

T-minus 1 day.

Course really took shape today. Barely under 9 miles. 2 of it nice new cut stuff. Fast and sweeping with some classic Walter's Ranch rocky mixed in. Plenty doable for everyone but offers fun and challenging terrain for the faster riders too.

Weather looks like it is going to cooperate too!

Come out and play Sunday!
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Pumpkinpatch

#10 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 am

No rain here yet.
A chance of rain later today.

We are racing rain or shine.
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5