Walter's Ranch in the rain Saturday update

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Walter's Ranch in the rain Saturday update

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:31 am

So I am committed to doing this race as planned. Many people and things are in place to hold the event and I will maybe even be setting it up in the rain.

The point I want to make is I really hope all of you will come out and race even if it is less than ideal conditions. I get so many contacts/complaints whenever I have to postpone asking why we cant just run the event. In most cases it could ruin the trails and parking. At Walter's we can get in and out of parking and we can ride without ruining the trials. Attendance is going to take a hit no doubt. I will set the trails up in the rocky areas so that we are not riding mud and ruts. With only six miles, I can pick and choose what to run. This will also make things a lot easier on the bikes as they will not be mud packed. Plan to come to this one so you can talk about it for years. We simply don't know what we will get until it is actually happening.

I just don't see postponing unless it is just a bad storm that would be dangerous. Some of the best races for me have been in poor conditions and I still talk about them to this day. At this point my finish position has gone from 7th to 1st but hey, its my story! The older I get, the faster I was.

Come ride this race and drag along some friends. And even with all that said, check the website just in case. If there is an issue it will be posted by 6:00 AM. After that, we pretty much have to run it. If absolutely necessary I can always adjust the schedule as needed.

Don't forget, three classes will be getting the random $35.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

advbeach

Re: Walter's Ranch in the rain

#2 Post by advbeach » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to another wet walters race.
Silva Beach
2013 Ktm 300 xc-w

Spooner

#3 Post by Spooner » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:44 pm

I'll be there!
2012 KTM 250xc

oldmandave59

#4 Post by oldmandave59 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:06 pm

'm going to assume that race is on rain no matter what especially since I have ridden there after a monsoon rain on the way down and the parking lot can handle the rain with little or no issues. After so many cancellations, I'm telling others that race will not be canceled. We have a new WFO Trailrider to break in the racing scene. Carol and I plan on being there and those who know Carol know that she will be in the rain taking pictures if needed.
Riding is not a hobby, its a lifestyle

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Re: Walter's Ranch in the rain Saturday update

#5 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:30 am

Course is done and 6.2 miles. Only the higher solid stuff was used so things should hold up well. The scoring lane is the softest area on the course. Actually dusty yesterday so the light shower that passed has it perfect. Too bad the race isn't today. Huge rain all missed us by 20 miles. Now we will just have to see what we get until 4:00PM tomorrow.

Come ride this race, you will be glad you did I'm quite sure. Forecast looks rainy next week so it's hard to say when we will get to play again. Walter's III ???

Let the adventures begin!
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

oldmandave59

#6 Post by oldmandave59 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Trail was AWESOME, good race, Those who missed this one really missed a great race. Plenty of pictures and video. Missed a arrow and was off course for about 11 minutes with about 6 others, probably my fault. I will figure out who I ran into and apologize again. Came into a corner too hot and we both collided, but OK. I think some one got the picture, she saw it coming and was trying to get in position. Met Mike and another I raced with and will get together soon.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Khowat

#7 Post by Khowat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Awaiting Therman, but so far Walters (rain) Ranch has my vote for race of the year. Despite also missing markers and checking out the nice 4wheeler trails, my own self defeat having attend the riders meeting.
Best advice for lost/turned around in a race? Anyone? My conclusion, fallow those sweet 2 stroke stuck in the deep mud sound.

oldmandave59

#8 Post by oldmandave59 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Khowat wrote:Awaiting Therman, but so far Walters (rain) Ranch has my vote for race of the year. Despite also missing markers and checking out the nice 4wheeler trails, my own self defeat having attend the riders meeting.
Best advice for lost/turned around in a race? Anyone? My conclusion, fallow those sweet 2 stroke stuck in the deep mud sound.
I checked my video and the place I took an eleven minute tour off the course was a real deceptive spot and it was easy to see the wrong route than trail and I was running around with about 6 others on second lap. I will have a picture off my video of the spot where I think there were a whole bunch got off track (no ribbon). But I also noticed the 150 plus trails that were not part of race too.

Ed M

#9 Post by Ed M » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Khowat wrote: Best advice for lost/turned around in a race? Anyone? My conclusion, fallow those sweet 2 stroke stuck in the deep mud sound.
A couple of years ago I had the same thing happen to me, I was following a rider who had passed me. I was going around a blind corner thinking this doesn't look familiar to me, when all of a sudden the other guy came from the opposite direction. Luckily we both veered away from each other narrowly avoiding a head on collision. Shook us both up, a head on collision off the course could have been ugly. My advice is to back track slowly as much as you can, others may have gotten off course as the same point as you. If you're not sure, shut your bike off and listen for the closest sounds of bike traffic, and carefully head that direction. Hopefully you won't end up cutting the course or end up going the wrong direction on the course, be patient.
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

oldmandave59

#10 Post by oldmandave59 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:45 am

At 9.39 in my video is where we were taking a right for the lost in space tour. Like I had noticed, a lot of trails to mark off to keep us in line. I didn't get too upset because there were so many other running around lost too.