Virgil City Charity Weekend Racing at Camp MoPo

General Bike Talk
ssexton1362

Virgil City Charity Weekend Racing at Camp MoPo

#1 Post by ssexton1362 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Charity Race Weekend is coming up soon at a new race location near Virgil City, MO - Camp MoPo!

The points race is Sunday, October 4 - but we hope you'll consider coming on Saturday, Oct. 3 to participate in our Forward Motion For Foster Families Charity Poker Run benefiting Drumm Farm Center For Children in Independence, MO.

Camp MoPo is a 150-acre, mostly wooded piece of land that has 7+ miles of new and established trails. There are two large areas for overnight camping, so please come early and plan to make it a fun-filled weekend for the whole family!

The normal $5.00 gate fee will apply to all who enter the property.

The Poker Run will begin at 1:00 pm on Saturday, Oct. 3 and run for at least 2 hours.
$30.00 will gain you entry into the Poker Run and Saturday night chili dinner, beverage, and dessert near 6:00 pm.

Poker Run Prizes

Best poker hand $150.00
2nd best poker hand $100.00
3rd best poker hand $50.00

Non-riders can participate in the Poker Run too! For a $30.00 donation, you can draw 5 cards for your poker hand, which also includes Saturday night chili dinner, beverage, and dessert.

If you don't wish to participate in the Poker Run, but would like to ride the course from 4pm - dark, we will gladly accept your $10.00 donation.

Non-participating spectators - $5 will get you Saturday night chili dinner, beverage, and dessert.

Concessions will be available all day Saturday and Sunday.

100% percent of proceeds from the Poker Run and Saturday events, as well as promoter's proceeds from FMHSC points race, will go directly to Drumm Farm Center For Children.

Please come with open hearts and open wallets to support this Eastern Jackson County Missouri organization that helps support foster kids and foster families!!

We will accept cash, checks made to Drumm Farm Center for Children, and credit cards.

If you have any questions, you can contact Todd Sexton at 816-797-6904 or todd@todco.net - or reply to this posting with your questions.

If you want to see why we are doing all of this and just how great Drumm Farm is, go here and look around some. http://drummforkids.org/
There is no better way to spend a small amount of your money.

shredder

Re: Virgil City Charity Weekend Racing at Camp MoPo

#2 Post by shredder » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 am

Its going to be an awesome weekend fo sho! I'm there dude!
:wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

shredder

#3 Post by shredder » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:44 pm

I just got home after spending the day - my first time out there. First of all it's the easiest race site I've ever had to find so that's a big plus for starters. This place has lots of fairly flat great parking and camping spots all over but still has an intimate feel to each campsite because they are scatted all over as opposed to just having everyone in a big non-shaded pasture. This place has lots of shade spots to park - another reason to get there early. I know I'm getting one of the perfect spots for my rig - early.

I was trimming trails with Gibber and Stickney after Todd carves a swath with the mini brush-hog in front of the bobcat. Man those guys had their act together! We couldn't drink enough water and I actually changed my sweat soaked tee shirt 5 times! Yes it was hot but what a hoot! We also got the pee wee course carved in and it's going to bee as epic as the main track! Nothing is arrowed yet but the course really flows well and has cool elevation changes -well except rocks, I only saw 3 rocks of any size at all but I only saw 1/3rd of the main track. Kids were playing in the mini pool, some folks jumped into the creek to cool off, the wives were talking in front of the fans, the guys were all b'sing about what-not, Andrew was just busting a nut to get out and ride it again on a dirt bike instead of an ATV but I was just too tired to even think about getting on my bike after a whole day of cutting. (You just gotta hate him sometimes - ya know? I mean he is so young, always smiling, full of life, good energy and vitality, it can just piss an old guy off, ya know!) HA

What I learned today:
1. As our "man group" assembled to siphon diesel out of an RV it was great that we all had "day jobs", because we suck at it (get it?).

2. Gibber does in fact know the perfect - exact meaning of the word "gnarly". If the Gibber says "Hey I think it's kind of gnarly down that way, let's go around.", just go around. ...Period. (please don't ask...ok?) Just go around.

3. We all have to get down there and ride the poker run and that's a fact. This place is so kick a$$ that we get to play all day on Saturday the same place that we race on Sunday!!! Man oh man! It just doesn't get any better than that! I'm really careful when I use this word but I'm using it. Yup. This race is going to be EPIC!

4. I don't know how. I don't know why. I don't know, I just don't know ----OK? I didn't even get my bike out of the trailer. I only got out the tools and ATV but somehow I managed to keep up my tradition and loose the plastic air cover on my blade - cutter, lost my plastic rear name plate from the ATV. How can a guy loose that much plastic? Why do I always have to be "that guy?" SHEEEEEESH...........!

Had a kick butt good time time with the guys. Everyone really put in a hard days work and the place is really shaping up. Man I just can't wait!
:wink:

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

Gibber

#4 Post by Gibber » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 am

Shredder summed it up. Great weekend but hotter than hell. Got a lot done though. Course is all cut and ready to mark and put the finishing touches on it.

This will be a great race location. Worked out to be right at 7.5 miles. Coolest thing is the variety of terrain. There are tight woods as well a flowing, some pretty Gnarly Technical and elevation as well as some open areas for the opportunity to wick it up and have a drag race! There will be 2 different areas to park / camp and lots of access to course for spectators. The course is also real easy to get to and get in and out of. This place may end up being the next Warrensburg!

Please be sure to keep in mind this property is owned by the beloved #1063 Todd Sexton! When Todd and his wife Susan purchased the property the intended use was for friends and family. However, when race locations started to drop like flies Todd got with Dan and agreed to host a race. To sweeten the pot even more they decided to make it a 2 day charity race and poker run to benefit the Drumm Farm For Kids in Independence, MO. http://drummforkids.org/. Please click on the link or the Drumm Farm logo on the left to learn more about the charity.

Long and the short of it is this will be an awesome family race and fun weekend that also just happens to be a good cause. I don't believe anyone will be dissapointed in the course or the event. Since everything is pretty spread out if you have an ATV or UTV you may want to bring it along or bring your hiking boots because there will be lots to see. Just keep in mind "ALL" riders will be required were helmets unless in a vehicle with roll cage and seat belts.

Besides the Pee Wee race on Sunday there will be other activities for the kids as well as open riding Saturday after the poker run. I believe Todd said $10.00 per person for open ride. Same as Chanute. Plenty of primitive camping and you're only 20 minutes from Nevada in the event you forgot something for the long weekend or did not bring enough of it! :lol:

Please come out and help support Camp Mo PO, Todd and Susan Sexton and most of all Drumm Farm. A lot of work has been put in to this to give us a new and exciting place to race and the Sextons have been very supportive of FMHSC. Lets make the first one a Home Run and guarantee it lasts for years to come!

P.S. We all know Shredder can embellish just a little bit. Please keep in mind when we got to the "GNARLY" section Shredder was talking about we were both on 2 wheel drive ATVs. Dirt bikes and we both would have been fine. Problem is neither one of knows what the hell we are doing on an ATV. So I guess Gnarly is a matter of prospective. Sure was cool seeing Shredder this weekend. Everyone has been so busy we haven't had the time we had last year. Hopefully the next meeting is banging handlebars rather than running chainsaws and weed-eaters!!!! 8)

Don't forget. There is still work to do and may be another work day before the race as well as workers needed for the weekend. Since it will be a 2 day event there will be extra opportunities to work including opportunities to work on a day "OTHER" than race day. Contact Todd ASAP if interested so he can make plans.

Thanks,
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

shredder

#5 Post by shredder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 am

"P.S. We all know Shredder can embellish just a little bit. Please keep in mind when we got to the "GNARLY" section Shredder was talking about we were both on 2 wheel drive ATVs. Dirt bikes and we both would have been fine. Problem is neither one of knows what the hell we are doing on an ATV. So I guess Gnarly is a matter of prospective. Sure was cool seeing Shredder this weekend. Everyone has been so busy we haven't had the time we had last year. Hopefully the next meeting is banging handlebars rather than running chainsaws and weed-eaters!!!!"

That's right Gibber, at first when you declined to go up and over the next hill because "it was gnarly", I was like - get outta my way! I'm going in! (It really wasn't such a big deal...at first). I didn't realize until it was too late that possibly Gibber has been on this hill before. As I went over the and around a log and a rock and started my decent, I was getting bounced pretty good. I had a large plastic basket mounted on my ATV rear deck for tools and such. The trouble is I kept getting tapped on different places on my back by either a chain saw, hedge trimmer blade, Gibber's 24" machete, or my brush cutter blade attachment. You can bet your butt I didn't bother to turn my head around and see exactly what it was either! :lol:

With a tool re-arrangement and re-setting the gas can upright I was able to do a simple 8 - point turn around at the bottom and get back up and over the hill without too much trouble. (Crap - did I just say I was "over the hill?" OMG!) It's just more than a little freaky when your going down a good incline, picking up unwanted speed as you decend with a payload of stuff - all of which is designed to cut and hot weed eater engines. (!)

I was tired but I really enjoyed get to hang with my bro's. Gotta do that more often - good for the soul.

Drummforkids

#6 Post by Drummforkids » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Drumm Farm Center for Children is thrilled to be involved with Forward Motion! Todd and Susan Sexton have been generous supporters and great friends to the children and families of Drumm for many years!

Nearly 15,000 children are in Missouri's foster care system because their parents cannot provide care for them. Sibling groups often become separated and many children experience frequent moves from foster family to foster family, with little understanding of what it means to have long-term stability. Drumm helps children in foster care and homeless young adults build successful lives by providing housing, emotional support, educational services and opportunities for personal growth. Founded in 1919, Drumm has been a home for more than 2,000 children throughout our 96-year history. Today Drumm Farm is home to nearly 50 children and provides services to more than 200 while operating a counseling center, educational support program, animal and produce farm, and market.

We look forward to sharing Drumm with all of you at Camp MoPo on Saturday, October 3!!! Be sure to visit our tent so we can thank you personally!

ssexton1362

#7 Post by ssexton1362 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Putting the finishing touches on the Charity Race Weekend at Camp MoPo!

We promised fun for the kids! We'll have a bounce house for kids and a giant inflatable slide for kids and adults.

Forward Motion adult and kids caps and apparel will be available for purchase. We will accept cash, checks made to Drumm Farm, and credit cards.

Concessions will also be available: hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, chips, sodas, and water. We'll also have candy and freshly-popped popcorn!!

Dinner will be Mo's Chili with all the fixins and a beverage.

Breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy with a beverage (juice or coffee) will also be available for $3.

$35 for Poker Run riders includes gate fee, poker run, dinner, and camping.

$10 for non-riders (11 and up) includes gate fee, dinner, and camping.

$10 for Saturday late arrivals includes open riding (4 pm - dark), dinner, and camping.

$5 for spectators not having dinner and not camping

Please remember that all Saturday proceeds and Sunday promoter's proceeds will go to Drumm Farm Center for Children. Stop by their table and find out more about their mission to help foster kids and foster families. We appreciate all the Drumm folks who are coming out to volunteer!!

We still have just a few raffle tickets left! We'll be drawing the winner Saturday evening - so get your tickets soon. You can get your tickets at the Merwin race or before by contacting Todd (#1063) at 816-797-6904.

The raffle item is a 2015 CF Moto Z-Force 600 side-by-side! Tickets are $100, and we will only sell 125. We're running low, so get yours soon!

ssexton1362

#8 Post by ssexton1362 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Please note change in directions:

Virgil City, MO: From Kansas City: take 71 Hwy. south to Nevada, MO, take US 54 east 15.3 miles to HH Hwy, south 6.5 miles then west to stay on HH, 2.5 miles then north on 2850 Rd for 3/4 miles. GPS Warning: if you put in the coordinates it will bring you in from the west and the last several miles are somewhat narrow gravel roads. The directions given are the better roads to access the property.

shredder

#9 Post by shredder » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:57 am

I followed your directions Todd and got there without a glitch. Nice roads going your way which shortens my driving time and maximizes my riding time! :wink: