Merwin Race Report

General Bike Talk
Weissbeck

Merwin Race Report

#1 Post by Weissbeck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I like to watch Jimmy Fallon write out his thank you notes on Friday nights. So thought why not give it a try.

Thank you, live engine start. You gave me a chance to be mid pack in the hole shot. However you failed me in the second moto, Two kicks will put you in last place.

Thank you, two moto format. I needed a drink and a nap. I was really concerned about stiffening up, Evidently a lot of folks did by the look of the DNF’s.

Thank you, Letco cycle. For saving me forty seven dollars, my kid was able to snag one of those pre race giveaways.

Thank you, FMHSC, for starting on time and putting on yet another great race experience.

Thank you, Roots?

Troy Weissbeck (1014)

Ride Orange 214

Re: Merwin Race Report

#2 Post by Ride Orange 214 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Great Event. Huge turn out with alot of smiles on racers and spectators faces. THANKS for trying something a new. Great track lay out. The woods had a good flow along with a real grass track. The Moto track made for some good safe passing for guys that wont move out of the way on the trail . Live engine and a dead engine start to keep everyone happy. I saw alot of guys that have not been to a HS race in years. It was not a race it was a EVENT.. Well done to Dan and Bill it was EPIC.

Gibber

#3 Post by Gibber » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:47 am

(I may have posted this initially in the wrong post. It was Merwin DNF's. Below is my race report)

Well, it's been a while since I did a race report. So here I go.

Sunday was a hoot. Didn't get there till late Saturday so I didn't get to practice until Sunday AM. I'm sure I would have done better if I had practiced more because by the last couple of laps on the 2nd moto I was feeling pretty comfortable on the MX section. I pretty much rolled most all of the jumps but for the most part really only got passed on the open sections of the MX track. I did catch a little air and was feeling a bit comfortable. I plan to go back with 292 Everhart when they open up and work on it a little more. No reason a Vet 40 rider can't learn to fly a little. 8)

The grass sections were a little spooky with the dust and the powdery dirt making it a little tough to whoa up for the turns. Although some sections you could really rail it and there weren't a whole lot of hazards you had to worry about if you misjudged your speed and slightly blew a turn. Not that I actually did that, I'm just sayin'! :lol:

The woods were awesome. The whole course was marked perfect and if you payed attention to the markers it was clear when you could be on the gas and when you needed to back off. I really like that 'cause I try to pay close attention to the markers. I never did come off my bike and on my 2nd moto I had a heck of a race with #1078. After going in to the woods behind 1010 I watched 1078, 1043 and the 2 Vet 40 (One Race) ringers pull ahead. About a mile or so in I was able to make a pass and catch back up to 1078. Unfortunately he ran as clean a race as I did so catching him was one thing. Passing him was another. For 3 laps I would see Joseph King's smiling face leaving the scoring loop as I was entering. Good race Joe. It was fun.

If I had to post a gripe, which I don't like to do, the only one would be the guys that are good at MX but suck in the woods. Personally, I suck at MX so I would let guys go with no fight but I could crawl up the same guys tailpipe and have to fight him for position while I watched the rest of my class walk away. Worse thing is these battles for position were with riders who had nothing to gain in points by beating me and were not even close to trophy contenders. And if anybody I passed in the woods wishes to contend this I have 1080 HD helmet cam video to prove it. And yes, you can see your #. Some of these guys didn't ride as fast at the race as me and my buddies do for fun. Even NASCAR requires a minimum speed!!!??? :shock: :?

Long and the short of it I had fun which is why I'm out there. I realize Dan and Midwest Extreme are out there to draw in participants. But there are those of us that are racing for points and it would be nice if the one race Willey's who just come out 'cause it's a cool race would keep that in mind. If someone is obviously faster, PLEASE, let them go!

Last but not least. Good passing by the few 800's that passed me. I think 840, 841 and maybe 820. Forgive me if I have you # wrong. But you guys did great. I tried not to hold you up and I knew the race was fast but there just weren't a lot of places to pass and I had a race of my own. Thanks for being patient and most of all making quick clean passes. The couple of 700's and JR's I passed thanks for letting me go. I hope my passes were clean and quick as well. Now if I can just get thru to my slower classmates! :o Oh Well! Wishful thinking! :roll: :lol:

Thanks Dan and Midwest Extreme. See everyone at Virgil City this weekend. Please don't forget this one. It is for charity and the course is really awesome. I know, I worked my ass off on it along with Sexton, Shredder, Stickney, Everhart and others. Unless they shorten it there will be 7.5 miles of a little bit of everything, a poker run on Saturday and good food and fun Saturday night. Be sure to make plans for the weekend!

GO TEAM LETKO!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

Extreme Park

#4 Post by Extreme Park » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:43 pm

The Team at MIDWEST EXTREME PARK would like to thank all of you for a great day! From the races at the pit bike track to the last Moto of the day it was exciting times. We will continue to work to provide a facility that caters to dirt bike enthusiast. Please follow us on Facebook or check for updates at http://www.midwestextremepark.com.

Good luck to all the rest of the season and we can't wait to see you next year!

Bill Graham