Merwin DNF's

General Bike Talk
Gibber

Re: Merwin DNF's

#11 Post by Gibber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 am

I did not mean to stir up this hornets nest but maybe it needed to be done. I'm glad i'm not alone in my opinion. I think Wire Fryer said it best. We are hare-scramblers. However, I did enjoy the change up so go figure. 8)

I'm with Orange Crush on the letting faster riders go. First I acknowledge them so they know I realize they are there. I think this buys a little patience. Then when there is an opportunity I move over and point where I want them to go. Most of all I hold my line while they pass. I really don't have any trouble with the faster riders. Big thing is I think about it while I'm out there. First, I have to count on the honor system that it is not one of "MY" classmates hitting the rev limiter that I am actually racing. Then I have to hope the rider behind me realizes I am racing too. I don't want to hold him (or her) up but I don't want to lose a position while letting him go. And again, the faster riders, (even the 800's and 900's) seem to be getting this. :?

Now, that being said, how long has Dan been preaching at the rider's meeting if a rider from the class behind you comes up on you let him go, he is a minute ahead of you? Well, maybe there needs to be a little more emphasis put on the slower riders even within their own class. ESPECIALLY THOSE ONE SHOT RIDERS NOT IN IT FOR POINTS! There needs to be a little common sense. If I'm racing Sexton for a top 3, the top 5 in our class is within less than 20 points and another rider from our class who is not even in the running or is just out for that one race of the year is holding me up he needs to get the #@*$ out of the way! And if he doesn't I'm gonna find a way and it is very possible one or both riders could get hurt. And really for nothing! Again, even NASCAR will penalize for aggressive blocking. :twisted:

So maybe these posts will bring the subject to the table. It doesn't happen all the time but maybe Dan can mention it at every riders meeting. I know we are racing and maybe being a little picky but dog gone it, I really felt I should have done better at Merwin and I guarantee you I would have it it had been a 2 hr hare-scramble or I didn't get tied up behind guys in the woods that would have been better off on bicycles! :shock:

Whew! That was a mouth full. :wink: Shredder, come save me from myself!!! :lol:

Now dont forget the Charity Poker Run and Hare Scramble this weekend at Virgil City! No MX on this course. 7.5 miles of woods, elevation, drag racing in the grass and technical all on a virgin course. Be sure to come out Saturday for the Poker Run so you have a chance to win some $$$ and work on your course knowledge. For those of you who don't know that is a golf term! 8) There will be good food Saturday night as well as activities for the kids.

Todd Sexton #1063 and his Wife Susan have put this whole thing together to benefit Drumm Farm for Kids. Not only is it a good cause and "ALL" proceeds go to the charity but it is a new place for us to race. And with locations dropping like flies, I.E. Drexel, Collins, Eldorado Sprgs, Warrensburg, Etc. we need all we can get. So be sure to come out and support this new course. Besides, I need Todd to have to work hard enough promoting he is too tired to race the next race!!! :o Sure hope to see you all out there!

GO TEAM LETKO!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

Ride Orange 214

#12 Post by Ride Orange 214 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:35 am

It was alot of these guys first try at a scramble event. I spoke to Dan and he admitted he forgot to give the move over speech at the riders meeting. This is not the first time this has happened it wont be last. I was balled up in the the first set of Motos also and understand the frustrtaion. I would just make the passes on the Moto or grasstrack. Maybe you guys could work on your jumping skills and cornering skills so you can make clean passes not ask for someone to move over for you. You all act like your racing for a pay check to put food on your familes table. Its a year long series you have some good races and some bad. Your on your dirt bike relax and have some fun.

rider1

#13 Post by rider1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:36 am

I really had not planned on posting but feel I need to support everyone that worked their butts off to give us the opportunity to have such a fun day riding our dirt bikes. While some of us may not like change I think the GP format is what made this race one of the best attended of the year. Like it or not this format is taking over on the East and West coast and one would assume that the same will eventually happen here as well.

The course, track and facilities were up there with the best tracks in the FMHS series. The dust sucked in a few places but that is not the first or last time we will deal with that. Woods had good flow and dust was not a problem. Moto track made my eyes go big but gave me the opportunity to improve my skills there. I am old and was not hucking the big jumps but there was NOTHING there that was dangerous or could not be rolled.

I guess the bottom line is you cannot please everyone but the promoters did a damn good job trying. If you ask me checkers or chess I am going to tell you both.
Thanks to Letko Cycles, Bike Tek, Fly Racing and Bike Graphix!

quik406

#14 Post by quik406 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:49 pm

I did pass on the motorcross track. BUT...I do need to work on ALL of my riding skills.
BTW I race for fun, but someone goon riding in front of me for 45 minutes tends to piss a guy off, but I'm over it now.

millwright

#15 Post by millwright » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 am

I personally enjoyed the format, as did most of the folks that usually pit with us. The facility was in the best condition it has ever been , you can tell the new owner is doing work. It's also cool that Dan is willing to put in the effort to try new things. Now, from what I'm seeing posted in this batch of race reports, my opinion is that the biggest issue was probably the mixing of moto guys and hare scramble guys into a format that neither has really done before. if we tried this again on just a shortened scramble course, the "change" might not seem so big. Oh, and like someone else mentioned maybe limit the free Red Bull :lol: