Retirement

General Bike Talk
yellow jacket

Retirement

#1 Post by yellow jacket » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:05 pm

It is with great sorrow that I announce my retirement from competition. The road has been a very long one and a very rewarding one. It is indeed a rare occurrence when a person can find his true calling in life. It is even more rewarding to be able to pursue that love and walk away in one piece. The places I have ridden would make almost anyone jealous. To race the Elsinore Gran Prix like Malcolm Smith did, or how about making a run down the Baja peninsula with the federalies on your heels, and who could forget about all those trips to the Rockies in pursuit of perfection. Of course my memories of being behind the rocks in Moab will not soon be forgotten. And the guys I have had a chance to compete with, well the list could go on forever: Brad Lackey, Jim Pomery, Marty Tripes and all those big boys I got to mix it up with. All those years in the 70's when I would spend every last cent I had to just go and watch the outdoor nationals. In those days you could help the racers by being the pit bitch, great way to experience the races. I could go on and on with the tales of partying with those pro riders all night and then watching them race the next day. All of those years of motocross racing seem to melt away into the memory banks, but 1979 seems to stick with me because I had to race 19 weeks in a row and in the Kansas heat, that was one for the books. Of course in between motocross races, we would do real hare scramble. You know, actually go out in a field and chase hares. Everyone should try this, sharpens the skills. Coming out of retirement in 1999 was a real shocker. I was thrown into the national American Historical Racing Association and asked to jump in there after being off for 20 years. The racing schedule sent us all over the nation and beyond, but 16 races later I had my first national championship at the ripe young age of 47. I got double dog dared to try flat track racing in 2007 and told those trackmaster framed pussies that that stuff was for babies, boy was I wrong. That stuff is for real men. Someone suggested that I start hare scramble racing back in 2009. I had been spending most my time on a bicycle and was ready for a softer seat, so I said why not. The rest is fairly well documented in this message board. Like I said, it has been a hoot following you guys around the track and I will miss you.

Tom Brunholtz

P.S. April Fools

ssexton1362

Re: Retirement

#2 Post by ssexton1362 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 pm

That was Great Tom! You almost had me putting a 700 number on my Bike. Thanking I would have a chance.

Todd
Vet 40 1063

WireFryer

#3 Post by WireFryer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Tom is a funny, funny boy....
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.

gcat7

#4 Post by gcat7 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:34 pm

See u at Virgil old cat :-)
Greg Catanzaro
2019 #55
2018 #574
2017 #740, #574
2016 #1074
2015 #740

shredder

#5 Post by shredder » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:43 am

DOH!
:lol:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!