BIG SPRINGS RACE REPORT

General Bike Talk
KTMWade

Re: BIG SPRINGS RACE REPORT

#21 Post by KTMWade » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:32 pm

I cant imagine it being too many racers doing it. The riders that are good overall, they will pass and get by with not much fuss, usually no need for much more than a quick throttle blip/blip, whoop/whoop and then a friendly "thank you". That was always my routine, pretty much all we did in the enduros as well.

If I told ya'll who was the most stubborn/hardest person to pass back in the early days, you would never believe me. He is a great guy; an ambassador for our local racing scene for decades imo, but you werent getting a free pass, no way no how lol :D

Everybody needs to remember we are all just out for some fun, well and in my case, therapy :mrgreen:

Logan came away pretty overwhelmed, big thanks to whoever helped him out on the trail, little irked with the hotheads, but overall he dug it. I know I did, ready to ride again this weekend actually and planning on hitting Carbondale with my son.

orangecrush

#22 Post by orangecrush » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:58 pm

For starters Big Springs was a lot of fun. I didn't really get to race anyone. I guess that was due to my first lap crash. First lap was a rush until that happened. Had Tom on my rear until I blew a corner. I look over all I see is a front wheel in the air passing me. Stayed on Tom rear for a bit. He passes a Yamaha rider. I'm trying to stay with the pack. Mean while we catch a slow 600 rider. There I was being held up for two miles. I watched the group start fading away. When I got to the enduro cross, I made my pass. I forgot to take it easy. Well photos show what happens when don't know when to let up.

For rest of the race I was playing catch-up. I got into a really good rhythm until 5th lap. Hit something really solid on inside corner of a cedar tree. Threw my body straight to the ground head first. There I was laying in the course. I crawled to other side a layed there for a bit. Couldn't decide if I should or could get back up. Once I did get back on and start riding, it was game over. I knew I couldn't take another lap. Good thing the race was over when I came through scoring. I was thankful to be alive and still be able to ride again.

Just wanted let everyone know I might come across as a "d**k" as I am told and receiving phone calls. I will not mention names of such riders or readers. It is a general discussion board for a reason. Talk smack with fellow racers.
Of course if you meet me personally, you will think differently. I've been around too long to be an ass kisser.

I have read post about juniors having problems with other riders. Well that would be the age groups of 20+ - 30+.
I myself had a near miss with a junior rider. The trail split, little guy went right I went left. I was on the gas to pass before we join trails again. It turns out he looked right at me and cut me off. I was hard on the brake as I pulled up beside his left side. No contact was made and I stalled the engine as I was sliding to a stop. Whipped my forehead with relief. That was close I said. Never want to take out little guys unless your Flying Ryan.

There is more to come, so stay tuned.
Eric Schneider
01' KTM 400SX
#1046(2017) Vet 40
#746 (2016) C Vet
#1046 (2015) Vet 40
#616 (2006-2007) C
#416 (2003-2005) C Adv.
#x11 (2002) trailrider

Gibber

#23 Post by Gibber » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

I can vouch for Orangecrush (for whatever that's worth). He really is just a "Long Haired, Red Neck Teddy Bear! :lol: Once you meet him in person it is tough not to like him. He just happens to be one of the better "SMACK" talkers and has very thick skin. 8)

It all kind of started last year between the 2 of us in the Vet 40 class talking crap on each other and getting everyone else stirred up along with it. If you recall someone had to try to fill Shredder's shoes and it took both of us to come close but we had fun.

So, if you get a chance be sure to make time to meet Orangecrush (Eric). Besides, he usually brings his wife and son and truth is they are far more pleasant than he is! :shock: You may get lucky and catch Eric telling the trees how he will just run them over if they get in the way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoot! Did I say that out loud?! :?: :lol:

I know I'm in for it now. :roll:
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

orangecrush

#24 Post by orangecrush » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:54 am

I here there is a guy in the 700's hooting and reving during first lap. To solve this issue: you find the person who is doing so and have a group chat about this unsportsmanlike attitude.

You could do what I have done in the past. Which is find a really tight slow spot on the course and come to complete stop hold up who ever is behind you.

If your really tired of it, lay your bike down in such a way it blocks the trail. Yank the guy off his bike and ground & pound nocking some since into him.

I can't believe this stuff I have been hearing is happening again. It saddens me how some riders or one rider wants to take the fun out of racing.

Who ever you are just remember your the Grasshopper.
The rest of us are the ants. There is more of us against you.
Eric Schneider
01' KTM 400SX
#1046(2017) Vet 40
#746 (2016) C Vet
#1046 (2015) Vet 40
#616 (2006-2007) C
#416 (2003-2005) C Adv.
#x11 (2002) trailrider

KTMWade

#25 Post by KTMWade » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:50 am

I had to remind my son to not sweat it, its all for fun. I got snaked by somebody in the same class, he dropped back, came back up on me and hollered like crazy, I thought "oh crap, I am in somebodies way", so i moved over. It was a rider in class, I really didnt care. Have a doc tell you you wont ride again, or drive, or even be able to work...this small stuff doesnt mean squat. I was just tickled pink to be riding again after many, many years. Fwiw, stay out of my way on the roads if you see me driving, I am still not released to drive :lol:

PK

#26 Post by PK » Tue May 24, 2016 1:22 pm

rsz_bs_thank_you_letter_and_10_dollars.jpg
“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.” - Steve McQueen

This came in the mail the other day from a couple on a dual sport bike wanting to see some people having fun at the Big Springs race. They didn't have any funds with them and they said they could send a check when they get home..... and they did. Dirt bikers are good people!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry Keegan

2008 Race of the Year Drexel MO
2010 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2011 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2014 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2017 Race of the Year Heartland Motorsports Park