700 Club votes rev or no rev.

General Bike Talk
KTM SLIM KARL

Re: 700 Club votes rev or no rev.

#11 Post by KTM SLIM KARL » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:42 pm

yellow jacket wrote:Tough choice, but I am a fan of revving. My voice is not loud and I cannot make those high pitched shrills that young guys have. I also have an extremely quite race bike. I can follow people for a very long time and they do not even know I am there, and when I bump there rear tire it is like I have insulted them. The rules state that there are no means of making noise that can be mounted to the motorcycle, so that makes your choices limited. Gotta go with the rev vote.
Tom
Tom this is not nascar if you bump my back tire in a race game on!
IT IS THE LOVE OF OFF ROAD RACING THAT DRIVES ME AND MY INTENTIONS ARE CLEAR
IS THAT I LIVE FOR THE MOMENT I AM NOT AFRAID TO FAIL
I WOULD RATHER FAIL MAGNIFICENTLY THEN FAIL TO TRY
Mo, MX #750
FMHSC#1050
2011 KTM 350 sxf
1980 KTM 250 mx

Spooner

#12 Post by Spooner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:41 pm

I really like the 'trail' approach. It can be hard for people to make out what number you're yelling so trail is pretty unmistakable.
2012 KTM 250xc

phillip archibald

#13 Post by phillip archibald » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:11 am

Well, I've always gone with yelling "700!!!" I caught a lot of 600 riders at the last race; some move, some didn't. no big deal. I found a way around them or just rode their ass until they moved or screwed up or made my own trail. I'M NOT GOING TO MOVE OVER FOR ANYONE IN MY CLASS. yelling or rev - doesn't matter. I beat you to the first corner, you have to find a way around me. that's why they call it racing - block pass, riding a wide bike - it's all part of it. I know there is no 25k check for first or million dollar contract and we are all far from being pro racer's, but to me it's still a competition and I'm way too competitive to pull over and let you go by. see you gentlemen Sunday at the Playground

Diamonds

#14 Post by Diamonds » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm a 1000 class rider but I'll give you my thoughts on this. I have no problem letting people in my own class by. I'm out there to be competitive, but also have fun. I'm almost 43 and I'm never going to make a living racing FMHSC races on Sundays. The last thing I want to do is let my ego get in the way and end up being seriously injured because I felt the need to ride outside of my ability. Hell, I crash enough on my own, I don't need your help! If I'm truly a faster/better rider than you, then there's no reason you should even be on my rear tire. I figure, if you're there, there's probably a reason. Rev me, holler at me, do whatever you want, just give me a damn second to get out of the way. LOL
Trent Glass
2017 Husqvarna TE300

Richard Hammer

#15 Post by Richard Hammer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Not in 700's myself but my opinion is to never rev or yell at anyone in my own class unless by some off chance I'm lapping them. We're racing and I need to earn that position. I feel the same for my fellow 600 racers and I hope they extend that courtesy to me. I'll yell 600 if I catch someone from another class and they usually get it and may couple that with revving if needed. It's just sportsmanship to me and they were ahead of me for a reason at that point so I need to work to get it back. Most people will feel the pressure and pull aside anyways to follow in my experience.

As far as giving some notice with a yell, I do the best I can. I want to make sure they aren't in my class before I do anything. Again I need to earn that spot just like they did somewhere along the line.

Good luck to the 700 club and see you all on Sunday!
Dustin McHenry
2015 #972
2016 #624
2017 #430
2018 #326

If you can't win, be so spectacular that people remember you rather than who won