Chanute moved to Labor Day Monday

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Chanute moved to Labor Day Monday

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:01 am

Updated this on Monday morning so the times may be off on the thread.

I am painfully aware of all the ripples that occur when I make a decision to postpone and then to pick a new date. Many had already come to Chanute the night before and wasted a lot of fuel, time, etc... The place would have been ruined if we would have run and that could have been the last race there ever.

Looking through the rest of the fall and for the sake of the landowner, it had to be made up very quickly. The next weekend is a Holiday and we intentionally did not have a race on that weekend so people could do family things. Well, things have changed and we need to use that weekend. My thinking is splitting the weekend down the middle by doing a Sunday race will be more intrusive than holding it Monday. We all make it to work on Monday after a Sunday race so making it Tuesday after a Monday race should be no problem. The forecast looks good at this point but it is still a way off so no way to know for sure.

If I can find an EMT to work Sunday, we will have open riding of the course starting in the afternoon on Sunday. This could help make a weekend of it for those who can make it. I need everyone to sign a gate waiver and your rider card before you go out. There may be a $10 camping fee just to help the landowner a little bit. Also, the may be cooking burgers, hotdogs, sloppy Joes etc. on Sunday night and on Monday race day so bring a few extra dollars to spend if you can. This is the landowner's family doing the concession so I want to help all we can.

Parking is way on the south end of the place this time. Come early and park orderly facing north along the south tree line and we can get a lot of folks in the shade on Sunday.

I know this is difficult but I hope the advanced notice helps everyone to make adjustments and be there for this one. the course is 6.5 miles and very beginner friendly. I think you fast guys will like it too as it flows nicely at speed.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

KTM SLIM KARL

Re: Chanute POSTPONED

#2 Post by KTM SLIM KARL » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Iamdanjohnson wrote:Maybe next Monday. More to come
Why not next sunday I work 500 miles from KC this is one I can make if it is Sunday
IT IS THE LOVE OF OFF ROAD RACING THAT DRIVES ME AND MY INTENTIONS ARE CLEAR
IS THAT I LIVE FOR THE MOMENT I AM NOT AFRAID TO FAIL
I WOULD RATHER FAIL MAGNIFICENTLY THEN FAIL TO TRY
Mo, MX #750
FMHSC#1050
2011 KTM 350 sxf
1980 KTM 250 mx

WOLFYMAN

#3 Post by WOLFYMAN » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I agree with slim sunday would be great then we have a day to recoop. With it being the holiday some might family stuff planned for mon.

cbn250xc

#4 Post by cbn250xc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am

Holiday weekend races are hard on everyone. My vote would be for no racing on any holiday weekends but that's just me. Just makes it tough on family when we should be spending time with them on fourth of july and on memorial day, etc.

flipstick357
Site Admin

Re: Chanute moved to Labor Day Monday

#5 Post by flipstick357 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 am

I was lucky enough to ride the loop on Saturday before the rain, and I can tell you I dont care when it is I will be there. That coarse was set up great and flowed perfect. I usually only ride one sighting lap to check the coarse and conserve energy for sunday but this one was so much fun I rode 3 laps. It has everything and is not one to miss.

And that was the hardest rain I have ever had the privlege of camping thru.
""I think the best possible social program is a job."

Ronald Reagan

14 KTM 350XC-F #537

WOLFYMAN

#6 Post by WOLFYMAN » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 am

Not everyone has Monday off

Superfast

#7 Post by Superfast » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Guess this is what the "throwaway" races are good for!!!
Scott

2014 - #71
2013 - #72
2012 - #86 - #786
2011 - #825
2010 - #9198

shredder

#8 Post by shredder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:15 pm

I rode the course also and I loved it! The flow and arrows are perfect! The rain was really something too, I lost a 10 year old tent to the rain. The wind wasn't an issue it was the rain. So much fell so fast that the tent couldn't take it and WHAMMO! It sounded like a 300 gallon water balloon hitting the ground. It woke us up at 3-something in the morning. I looked outside and saw nothing - till the lightning lit up the night and HOLY COW! I was surprised. This ten was taught as the new covering was only 2 months old and she was staked down and had 4 ratchet straps "x" braced and strapped to the trailer. Oh well... but the rain hitting the roof was a welcomed sound - forgot how relaxing that is...

Tim's bike was under the tent too but no damage to the toys so that's a big plus! I guess those KTM's are good for something! (eye candy and tent supports) (gonna get some heat for that one) Oh Tim - those shrimp on Flipsticks grill were unbelievable! Really - good stuff there Maynard!

The best part of the wash out weekend was watching Dan rocking the RV with trailer in tow trying to get out the gate and onto the road! I was certain he finally bought it, as he lost all forward momentum so I started getting the ATV out of the trailer for added pull but he kept a rocking and before you knew it he was a rollin! (Is that what it means when Dan says "If this RV is a rockin - don't come a knocking? HHMMMM...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shredder on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

kchotrod

#9 Post by kchotrod » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Well guess I will chip in my non racing two cents on why we had fun last weekend and why we will be back at Chanute Labor Day and why you should come too.

Well getting to listen to the rain all night on the RV roof was awesome just awesome. Funny how you miss stuff like that. Also just standing out in the rain getting wet made me felt dang good after this summer. Mike Brown and Wirefryer did some great grilling. Flipper doesn’t just flip motorcycles he flips a mean breakfast too. Many people actually hung around in no hurry to leave. Did I mention I love the smell of a cut off saw on an EZ up in the morning? Isn’t it funny the things that can entertain you? When it finally was time to leave I saw the quagmire of mud and although I missed seeing Dan leave I did see the class A hooked up to the tractor getting pulled out. Greg the landowner was pretty sure we would get stuck too so he suggested an alternate shot at the gate. Now this route had a great 8 foot high ramp for a good take off and he said if I hit it at 60 MPH the RV and trailer would clear the mud hole in the air and land pretty sweet right in the road. So we climbed in, up revved it up, and took off for a run at the ramp and when we cleared that jump, wheels in the air, looking like Chad Reed at Millville and we landed on that road I felt like Evel Knievel! I heard the crowd cheering and I knew Andy had just missed a great pic opportunity. Okay….Okay… so maybe the ramp and the air part was just in my mind but I swear the speedo said 60 MPH slinging some mud heading for that gate though the RV was doing about 10 MPH. Made my day for sure.

Anyway had a great time, I hear the course is awesome, the concessions were all planned out, and nobody wanted to postpone it but there was no other option or date than next Monday.

So relax on Saturday and Sunday and then load it up and get down there for some camping with good friends and to support the series and the landowner. Heck even bring someone new to racing to check it out. Get on out there because you know you really want to and all you ever say is I wish I had more seat time. It’s a split race so leave Monday morning if you don’t want the camping fun and riding time on Sunday.

Rod[/siz

WireFryer

#10 Post by WireFryer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 pm

flipstick357 wrote: that was the hardest rain I have ever had the privlege of camping thru.
You know it's raining/hailing like a SOB..... when EVERYONES gennie's exhaust noise fades out for at least 10 minutes, and then all of the noise quietly comes back.; and then it happens again, again, AND again.

Tim
The saddest sound in all MotorSports is the noise the drivetrain makes as you slowly coast to a complete stop.