We need new locations for 2013

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

We need new locations for 2013

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 am

I am finishing the schedule now so if you know of any new locations let me now. Bolivar is out for this year so we dont have any that far south in MO. One new one right on the NB and IA line that will be an IA address. Still not too far from KC. We have been trying to go north for some time and it may finally work out.

I would love to see something around Emporia, KS if anyone know of any trees that direction. I had one offer near there and really loved the place for play riding but didnt think it was quite wooded enough to hold a race. Still wondering if I should reconsider that one. Just not many trees that direction!!

I am told there is a private place near Fredonia, KS but I cant seem to locate it.

Have potential landowners call me direct and I can explain insurance coverage and other details.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

ace562

Re: We need new locations for 2013

#2 Post by ace562 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I live just outside of Emporia and to my knowledge the only place around to ride is John Redmond Reservoir. I believe they have held hare scrambles there before and had a decent sized loop. However, like you said there are not all that many trees and next to no elevation change.

I have ridden some great trails in this area but none are large enough areas to host anything like that, as well as the fact that the owners are not open to the idea of that. Typically the best trails in this area are contained to a small area near a river or creek.

Once upon a time there were some great motorcycle trails near Madison, but I am not sure of their current use.

I suppose my post hasn't told you anything useful but I'll keep my ear to the ground and if not this year possibly a location will become available in the next few years. Also if there is any way I can promote the idea like on Facebook or something similar to that I'd be glad to help. I'm new to this forum and to FMHSC but whatever I can do to help fellow riders would be my pleasure.

quik406

#3 Post by quik406 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Dan is the Milford race ground army corp? Kanopolis lake has a riding area that is army corp(Yankee Run) Not sure if it is big enough, but trees, rocks, mud, and elevation changes. What does it take for them to let it be used for a race??

El Dog

#4 Post by El Dog » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:27 pm

I'd like another shot at Knoxville...... that was my early days and it kicked my butt..
Any chance?
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

VetSki

#5 Post by VetSki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Dan,

Is the "near Fredonia" site possibly Bogies Adventures? I came across their Facebook page by a simple Google search. They have a phone number listed and open riding there. I have not been there, but I believe its close to Fredonia??
Keith Sowalskie
2009' #474
2008' #373
2007' #373 10th Place
2006' 500 Class Champ, #505
2005' 700 Class 5th, #767
Still riding a 2005' Honda CRF250X!

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#6 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 am

I know of that adventure area and think it looks like a great place to ride but I dont think it will work out for us to have a race there.

Knoxville landowners are using the area for horses only.

Each Corp of Engineers location decides for themself if we can have a race. John Redmond has been a No for several years now. Milford likes us to come there because we do trail maintenance and remove deadfall and so forth.

I forgot to mention in the original post that it takes 120 acres minimum and really 150 or more is much better. Split race format allows for less ground for the track but parking is still a space hog.

We have enough locations for next year but I always try to find something new every year. Sometimes that means letting one location sit for a year or two but often that is better for the ground anyway.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

cantkeepup

#7 Post by cantkeepup » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Why dont we race at Perry? I see racers from forward motion there all the time. there is a nice open 5-6 mile loop that could be made longer with no issue. there is plenty of tree and elevation change.
#720 250xcf

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#8 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 am

We have and it is a little too small and we had some difficulties working with the Corp there.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC

It's all good!

AStevens

#9 Post by AStevens » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

Possible classified ad in something like the Midwest Ag Journal?

KTMChris

#10 Post by KTMChris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:33 am

What ever happened to Fort Scott? That was the second race I have ever done, the good ol' PeeWee days. Also, didn't that place have an MX track that we used a little?
Chris Myers #814