2013 talk

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

2013 talk

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am

This is a tweaked cut and paste from last year so forgive me. Most of it still applies one year later. I really feel I tell all and you know all. This may just be too much information but I think this is how we stay united and continue to improve. Everyone is heard.

I would sure like to hear some feedback on 2012 and ideas for 2013. Not that I don’t want to hear it but, class structure does not need much discussion. The current structure has been established based on actual rider data we have accumulated for many years. It may not seem to make sense based on what you have seen in other series or just over time but it actually distributes the class pretty evenly on race days. I would certainly listen to ideas to tweak the ages or percents of what we have. Feel free to look over the various stats or if you are an advanced computer person, I can send you the database so you can query more things.

I really want to hear what everyone thinks so if you don’t feel comfortable posting then PM me, email me at ktms@fmhsc.com, text or call me at 7857665629. I may also be interested in letting more riders attend the meeting this year so contact me if that interests you. Depending on the total numbers coming, you may be able to attend.

I think things are going pretty good but one area we fall short is having enough help. Even with race day workers getting a first place average we are shorthanded on race day. I think you might be surprised if you knew how few people were actually running things on race day. Each race is put on by a certain promoter and not actually by FMHSC series. I know some were surprised to hear this a few times this year so I thought I would point that out. Often many are willing to help but first they must know about the need.

We have a very hard time getting anyone to help score. I have put out this request year after year and during the year and few are stepping up. We need to have about 3 people that could fill in at any given time or speak for a few races each year that they plan to score. Lisa has been helping for a couple of years now and she is going to burn out if we don’t find some extra help. On one hand it is a pretty easy job but on the other it can be a bit stressful. This is actually a paid position. Contact me for more details.

We still need more people trained to help with PW scoring/sign up.

I never heard any feedback about the two races in one weekend. It sure is a lot easier to put on two in one weekend. I am really leaning toward trying this one more time in 2013. I think Galilee might have been too hard for two days so I think this time it will occur at Warrensburg in mid-June or maybe in the fall. I want it to be good conditions for camping and racing.

I like having 15 races each year and feel it is just numerous chances to ride a motorcycle. I don’t think it is a burden since it only takes 8 races to get a yearend award and only 10 races are used for total points. It seems to me a person could put together their entire year by riding all the races in either half of the season and putting in some work days. If you look at the results you will see that most play it this way and only a few ride all races in the season.

So should we have 12 races and count 8 or 13/9 or 14/10 or 15/10???

Any other things we need to look at?
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Pumpkinpatch

Re: 2013 talk

#2 Post by Pumpkinpatch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

If it is any help, overall; one idea that might reduce the load on our scoring staff is if someone would help signup at least. Perhaps that lets a scoring assistant arrive later? Wouldn't have to be a paying position. Perhaps if someone does it, say 6 times, they get a non-race-day work average. Just a thought.

I helped at signup at Carbondale and it was actually a lot of fun and nobody yelled at me for being slow or not being able to keep the scanner working.

One advantage of working signup is that you get to put names, nicknames with faces and you'll know who's foot you ran over or who you punted into the weeds next time.
:lol:
It's all good!
Mark Shafer
Rider #511 FMHSC
Proud Papa of #60 & #5

Thanks to #pumpkinpatchracing, Letko Cycles, MSR, EVS, DeCal Works, Atlas, 100%, Motorcare, HeavyD, DT1, Mika Metals

cantkeepup

#3 Post by cantkeepup » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 pm

I liked the two race weekend. although I was worn out after day one , it did make for a great weekend.

Can we work a half day on a split race format? I am not concerned with the points, since I am not a top rider in my class, but I would like to help out.
#720 250xcf

DEA

#4 Post by DEA » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:21 pm

I think it would be awesome to hold an annual extreme event / race, sort of simular to but not exactly like the 100 miler. Something that has a great pro purse that would draw racers in from all over the region and really challenge all of our fellow FMHSC riders. 24hr? 16hr? maybe starting at dusk and ending whenever you get done or half and half....It could be run in December and called Santa's extreme midnight scramble or The Jayhawk extreme scramble... and make it a Rain,snow, or shine event.I think this would give us a chance to show fellow racers from all over that there really is great riding / racing in the great state of Kansas! What do you guys think?
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

slomojo

#5 Post by slomojo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 pm

I was thinking about a third work average that would be like the first average only you would work all day race day.It wouldn't be a great incentive but a guy could get points for working a course that he doesn't care for.
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

quik406

#6 Post by quik406 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 pm

An extreme event would be awesome. I vote for two day event at camp Galilee. Make the first day a short course, time trials. Two or three attempts, take your best time and have the results set the starting order for day two. Rows of 10 bikes with 1 min intervals. Make it and all day sun up to sun down kinda thing. Most laps wins, overall and by classes.

KDXdad

#7 Post by KDXdad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:54 am

How about a 12/24 HR type event, "24Hours of Kansas"

Team of 5-6 people, 1 machine.

Harvey Mushman

#8 Post by Harvey Mushman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 pm

The 6 hour St. Valentines Day Massacre at Jeeps is fun. You can Iron-Man it if you want or do a two man team. If it's fairly dry, it's a blast. If the course is 33.3% ice, 33.3% snow and 33.3% frozen ground, and you're riding a new to you 300 EXC with a Gnarly on it and the red spring...... it's not quite as much fun. Kinda fun to hang it out on a more open course too.....
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...

nockktm

#9 Post by nockktm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 am

I think an extreme event sounds awesome! Or a team race, those are usually fun! Maybe at warrensburg two day event we could do a night team race just for fun! Oh and i think we should do away with work averages! Shouldnt get points for not racing! Maybe reward someone with a free entry fee instead! Just my thoughts! See yall at the races!
Chris Nocktonick

2017 300xc #222