The Finish Line

General Bike Talk
shredder

The Finish Line

#1 Post by shredder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 pm

I was eating dinner out for a change at Side Pocket's. The young guys next to us were in a,... well, what started as a friendly chat and grew into a pretty heated argument. We couldn't even hear the jukebox after a while over the racket. I kept my mouth shut (and you know it was easier for the government to land on the moon or get obama care passed that it is for me to keep quiet...). Here is the scenario....

Two guys (in the same class) are in a dead even battle and racing bar to bar and swapping positions constantly all day. They both come out of the woods dead even and blast it all the way to scoring and at the last second they both brake HARD which makes the bikes slide into each other and the frame to foot peg locks the bikes up solid. Because of excessive handlebar action both bikes fall over. Off course one guy gets pinned under the 2 bikes (and is fine - not hurt I might add), but the other racer slides under the reader and it reads his helmet as slides past the finish line 10".

3 questions...

1. If the racer who slides on the ground past the finish line and gets picked up by the computer still has his boot stuck in his own bike's spokes did he win? All agree that he clearly was touching his bike but not riding it.

2. Same situation but the guy in front who slides on the ground got read by the computer was 7 feet away from the two bikes and the other rider (still pinned under the two bikes) Did the guy in front win? He crossed the finish line and got read by the computer but was not on or touching his bike.

3. Same situation but this time just before the two guys sprint for the finish line one rider has his reader torn off his visor. As the bikes get hooked up the guy in front slides on the ground, crosses the finish line 7 feet away from the two hooked up bikes but the computer only reads the guy pinned under the two bikes. Did the pinned rider win even though he got read by the reader but was short of the tent? The front racer with the broken visor clearly went past the tent but not on his bike.

As a side note (for anyone who is still with me) No race officials saw what happened first hand and there is no photos or recordings. All bystanders and witnesses that the race official talks to agree with the facts stated in each of the 3 scenarios above. All also agree that the bikes getting locked up was not in any way because of an aggressive move by either racer - the bikes just slide together as they brake. The racers however are furious with each other and are demanding and answer! No fair reading this and coming back tomorrow with your answer! These 2 guys are hot and want a decision NOW! I don't care how you decide...just tell me why.

Or even just pick one you like and give me your decision.
:roll: help!
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

PK

Re: The Finish Line

#2 Post by PK » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Hey Shreddster, answer to all three questions: run one more lap.
Perry Keegan

2008 Race of the Year Drexel MO
2010 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2011 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2014 Race of the Year Big Springs KS
2017 Race of the Year Heartland Motorsports Park

KTMWade

#3 Post by KTMWade » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Yeah, they will definitely want one more lap after being docked a lap for hauling a$$ in the scoring lane

Jason g

#4 Post by Jason g » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Coin toss.
I prayed for an old, wise angel who fly's faster than I ride. 2005 yz 250// 2000 cr 500// 2007 rmz 450// 2008 ktm 300// 2013 ktm 300 xcw.

swedishfishmx

#5 Post by swedishfishmx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 pm

DQ them both. Racing or "battling" ends once you enter the scoring section.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

shredder

#6 Post by shredder » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 pm

swedishfishmx wrote:DQ them both. Racing or "battling" ends once you enter the scoring section.
When your happy and ya know it clap your hands!!! You win the rubber biscuit, cash and all prizes (but don't quit your day job). The reason I had such a hard time keeping my mouth shut is exactly the same reason as your response. I got tangled up in a heated battle approaching scoring once years back. With all that adrenaline pumping through your veins you may not act as calmly as a person normally would. Dan shoots over there and jumps into the middle of it and peels me away before things got really stupid.

The point is there is way too many kids and folks hanging around not to mention the scoring trailer (remember that weird deal?). Things can go so bad so fast. At Milford I may be the guy who has the job of slowing you down (well except ol slomojo - Heck sometimes we beg him to speed up a little bit!) Slowing down through scoring is so we can jot down your number correctly and get you through scoring safely and without incident. I take this job seriously so don't tear through scoring to make up a few seconds or I'm getting in your face. Please Don't poke da bear!!!

Yes I know that I probably knocked over more scoring lane cones and tape than everyone else last year combined but in my case it's not speed but exhaustion, dehydration, and and a strong sense of unfounded excessive well being!

Let's go have fun!
:wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!