Big Springs Race Reports (lets here 'em)

General Bike Talk
E.A.

Big Springs Race Reports (lets here 'em)

#1 Post by E.A. » Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 pm

First and Foremost..... THANK YOU!

For everyone pushing it back a week, and still holding the event!
The track was beyond awesome. I didn't think any local place would steal my heart away from the thurman race in Iowa, but this might just be neck and neck with it.

That dirt in the turns, was what dreams are made of!! (little dusty, but all good)

I got a Killer start, the CR one kicked, and it was off! And it was bar to bar flying after that. I knew that at some point my holding down 2nd was going to turn into a battle, and on my last lap, here comes #619. Best battle ever!, man was it good. Don't worry about knocking my down dude, thats what going bar to bar is all about, I knew we were both going to fight for that spot. :)

Course had SO much flow, I ran my CR so dang hard, that well for the second race in a row I RAN OUT OF GAS!!! (I guess moving up to "c" means, you burn a LOT more fuel, cause I have never had this issue before) ..but when your rolling 3rd and 4th through perfect flowing turns, I guess thats what happens.

Speaking of running out of gas.... THANK YOU to P.K. and John (is that correct?, I was a little dazed) for giving me a lift after walking forever back to the pits! I owe you a beer....srsly.

So thanks again, for everyone....
Timing and Scoring,
Land Owners and P.K and the Letko Crew
The burger guy,
sweepers, course workers, etc.
everyone and anyone that makes it happen.

See ya all, next time. (maybe will a little more fuel)
Erik
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)

DrakeW22

Re: Big Springs Race Reports (lets hear 'em)

#2 Post by DrakeW22 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:04 pm

This race was awesome! The start was killer. My bike fired first kick and I was off with the holeshot and open trail ahead of me. Lead the first lap until my shift lever came off. Went to the truck fixed it and came back on. After the second lap I was in 11th and I had some ground to make up. Battled hard and pulled out a 2nd place finish. The course was awesome other than the dust. Thanks Perry for putting on an awesome race also thanks to letko cycles for the great support. Oh and sorry Erik for crashing you. :(

Reecew888

Re: Big Springs Race Reports (lets here 'em)

#3 Post by Reecew888 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Well had a pretty good race. Off the line I was in 3rd but ended in first by the end of the first lap I had the lead and kept it the whole race. I had great battles with a lot of 600 riders including #626 and #609.

Thank you letko for keeping my bike running like a top.

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Big Springs Commentary...

WOW....

WOW...

I think the word here is "EPIC"

Way too much to even try to mention even 1/2 of it! OK.
You got a free flowing course (EPIC)
You got a change up on the start (I liked that hare brained idea, wish I was riding today.)
Hot food,
$100.00 cash prize for getting the hare ( please tell me who it was)...That's a hundred bucks!
You got a eye in the sky filming for crying out loud - pee wee and the big bikes.
Perfect weather (EPIC)
Fantastic spectator viewing and photo opps.
You've got a platform in the sky to watch and take pictures from.
You got Perry throwing prizes over board to any one who would just look up!
You can ride saturday, race sunday or any combination you want!
After Dans speech it seems like passing etiquette was much better.
Oh yeah! Live feed from my phone and the race unfolds! Even folks at home can see ya loose places,live, as it happens!!!!!

If you didn't come today man you missed out!

That's my commentary,
Dennis
:wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

quik406

#5 Post by quik406 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm

LOVE Big Springs! Place just flows like a boss!
I got caught in the dust storm and ended up crashing, but overall had a very fun day.

Gibber

#6 Post by Gibber » Sun May 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Well BS got me again!

Had a pretty good start and ran neck and neck with Stickney and another Vet 40 rider then about a mile and 1/2 in to it my back brake locked up. Had to stop, get my tools out of my pack and adjust my rear brake lever. In the mean time EVERY RIDER behind me passed me. When I got back out there I was behind the last JR.

Course was awesome! Flowed great and the turns were to die for. The dust was killer but you just had to live with it. I have never passed so many bikes and I hope I was quick and courteous about it. Most everyone was pretty cool and sorry to the 900 rider that let me go and I didn't get my butt around him ASAP. I was pretty tired by then. I AM IN THE OLD MAN'S CLASS! LOL Ended up pulling out 15th and dropped to 7th in the points. Darn it!!! Oh well, still was a blast!

I have to admit I agree with Dan. The Rev Limiter method to pass sucks. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The WOO HOO works way better for me. Either way passing was pretty good and quick. Only got tangled up with one rider who was the second guy and I did not know he was there. Sorry about that but if you're going to follow the guy you're racing thru the pass you need to let us know you're coming. As I have said before I don't want to hold you up but I don't have rear view mirrors! LOL

Well, that should be plenty. Technical area was pretty cool, not near as intimidating as I expected. All in all had a blast and Kudos to Perry for another EPIC race day. Thanks!

Thanks again to Letko KTM, Olathe Ford, Adrian Steel, Foust Fleet, Knapheide, Supreme, Wrap it Up, Commercial Van Interiors and most of all to my 11 year old daughter for talking my in to this crazy sport 3 years ago!

Go Team Letko!!!!!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

Harvey Mushman

#7 Post by Harvey Mushman » Mon May 05, 2014 6:09 am

Seniors; 24 on the line, big turnout with the age change. The start was shades of BOK at T-Hill years ago, pretty cool. The drone over the start was neat, I want to see the vid. Got an average start and actually picked up a place every lap for a 9th place finish. I never crashed but blew throught one turn and went about 3 bikes deep into the woods. By the time I got the bike wrestled back out to the trail I was gassed and in survival mode for about a minute or so until I got my wind back. Got thru the log turn on the enduro-X section OK every time which was a big victory. I think I rode a good, "smart" race by being smooth and not riding over my head so I was happy with a top 10 finish. Great course, great venue, thanks to PK and all the course workers and everyone that helped make it happen.
-Harvey

'06 #917/703, '07 #77, '08 #75, '09 #1017, '10 #713, '11 #1017, '12 #1017, '13 #1017, '14 #1017, '15 #1017, '16 #1017 and so on...

DEA

#8 Post by DEA » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 am

Boiled my rear brake on the first lap, changed pads, still faded in and out the rest of the race, went to brake for a turn had no rear brake on fourth lap, stopped by a tree crushed my pipe and tested my flight skills without a bike by going over the bars, decided it was time to call it a day.

I hate to go all Paul D on everyone but I did notice that there was some kids circling the pit area during and after the race on a atv and some bikes that maybe needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the hard work making FMHSC what it is Dan, and Perry. Its hard to believe how far we have come over the years!
Thanks to Katie, Luke, Ali, and LETKO Cycles, Kenda, Amsoil, ODI, DT1, HBD Motographx, Dirt Tricks, Acerbis, Scott, AXO, Gaerne, Pivot Works, Vertex, Hot Rods, and Regina for the support. #215

E.A.

#9 Post by E.A. » Mon May 05, 2014 9:36 am

Reecew888 wrote: I had great battles with a lot of 600 riders including #626 and #609.

How could I have forgot, our battle was awesome as well. Rolling fast with you (#888) and then Drake (#619) made that race just awesome. Its no fun when your all by yourself, and don't have anyone to either push ya, or chase ya. So thanks for the very fun action!

(Mental note, remember to adjust your clicker settings BEFORE the race, I realized last night as I was washing the bike, I still had it set up for Motocross. I thought it felt a little funny, opps)
2015: #tbd
2014: #609 C (1st)
2013: #801 Sportsman (1st)
2012: #913 Trailrider (10th)

2001 Honda CR250r
2012 KTM 300XC

2014 KTM 250SX-F (Sold)
1999 Kawi KDX200 (Sold)
1982 Honda CR125r (Sold)

TEAMBRAWNER

#10 Post by TEAMBRAWNER » Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Dan, Perry, score keepers, and all that helped put this together you guys made a great race,Thank you!! Every year is always a blast! The track was it great condition with great weather, the start was what made me the most nervous because of the straddle the front fender, but ended up 2nd in the hotshot behind Jaden. Took a faster line around the 3 mile mark and got around him, from then it was smooth sailing! Everything seemed to flow, had great grip in most of the corners! Ended up first overall and caught the hair (nice bonus)! Hope to see more of this more often. Want to thank the lappers that get over when the faster guys come up on them and everyone that made it happen! Couldn't do it without the help of Letko Cycles, Fly Racing, and Mom and Dad!
Zack Brawner, 121