New bike sales tax

General Bike Talk
cbn250xc

New bike sales tax

#1 Post by cbn250xc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 am

OK guys I have a question. So I live in MO and bought a new bike from a dealer in KS. I had not planned on titling the bike since its not street legal and would only be ridden off road, nor did I want to give the state more $ than I already do. Well I got a letter from the MO. Dept. of Rev. telling me I need to title the bike which would now require me to pay sales tax. I've bought numerous bikes out of state before and never had to title them. Has the state of MO changed the rules? Am I required to title the bike? I guess I'm just confused on how MO can collect sales tax from something purchased in KS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, Chad.

canamfan

Re: New bike sales tax

#2 Post by canamfan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:31 pm

You pay sales tax according to the county you live in, in mo. Doesn't matter where you buy it. I remember years ago the state was trying to force the dealers to collect the sales tax on offroad machines because they were missing out. I know their trying to collect everything they can get their hands on. I bought a used truck last winter at a bargain price, when I went to the license bureau they charged me sales tax according to kbb. i asked them why and they said it was always their policy, they had started enforcing it. if you don't want to pay the kbb price then you have to get a notorized bill of sale from the seller, stating what you paid for the vehicle. I know this has nothing to do with what your dealing with but it shows they are getting more aggressive at collecting tax. good luck

Speedysdad

#3 Post by Speedysdad » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:07 pm

They have done it for years from KS to MO. Even on used bikes if a KS owner titles it. KS residents have to send in paperwork to show they sold it so they don't have to pay property taxes anymore. Thats how MO gets notified. So i had to title a used quad i bought from KS, late fees and property taxes every year.
Jim Wright
(Retired)

jimmy rippy

#4 Post by jimmy rippy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Chad-
Same thing happened to me about a year ago.
I went to re-new my wife's tags on her car and they made me pay a late-fee of something like $150 on the "non-licenseable" dirt bike.
BTW - it was a used bike in KS and it was traced back to the previous only who turned me in to the state of MO.

cbn250xc

#5 Post by cbn250xc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Ok, thanks guys for all the info. Went yesterday and gave up more money to the state of MO. Lesson learned.