Carbondale Race Report(s)

General Bike Talk
swedishfishmx

Carbondale Race Report(s)

#1 Post by swedishfishmx » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Thoughts on Carbondale:

I can't remember a time where Carbondale had better dirt? Last year was good, but the course was slick at first. This year, the course was just about perfect for the entire two hours. It did start to dry out some, but generally the woods and corner track conditions were really good.

Thank you Paul and crew for doing a great job at making Carbondale feel new and refreshing. I loved dropping into the creek and riding through it for a bit!

The start to immediate corner track does a great job at separating riders out before entering into tight woods, and I wish every course could start like yesterday. I think it's great for spectating and better for the riders.

I got to my row late, but was pleasantly surprised to find a nice spot on the outside (where I would have lined up anyway). I took one last sip of water and put my mouth guard in and just tried to find the top of the piston stroke with my foot. Luckily I found it just as the board was dropped! I didn't get the best reaction time, but held it on and was able to sweep Scott and Drake for the holeshot.

I had a close call in the middle of turn one and two, where the back end stepped out, but i was able to keep it together. I made sure to take the inside into turn three and that solidified my good start. During the first lap I think I overshot every other corner, I didn't have "the flow" that one needs at a tight and twisty place like Carbondale, but luckily during the second lap I found it.

Somewhere about the middle part of the race I could see Superman (Jared Shafer) ahead of me, but could not close the gap. During lap three, I finally caught the back tire of Jared, but he was in a battle with Remy, so I just got in right behind both of them and was hoping for a mistake from either one of them, but they were both riding well. Remy stalled it in a corner and that was all it took for me to get around both of them as Jared, with nowhere to go, hit Remy and both of them went down. I ended up clipping Jared's rear wheel with my foot peg, but was able to keep it upright.

At the beginning of lap four, I knew I had to pit. I was 1 hour and 15 minutes into the race, and would not have had enough fuel for another lap, so I stopped and with the help of James Wright, was able to have a semi-quick pitstop (much faster than the previous pitstops before). Jared and Remy both got back around me, which made me focus even harder. I was just trying to have a battle with those guys and keep pushing towards the front because I didn’t know what was happening behind me. Turned out Blake Beckman and Jerry “River Rat” Moore were having a battle of their own for second and third.

I pushed hard the forth lap and was able to catch Jared within a mile or two of lap 5. We battled for a bit, and pushed each other, we ran into lap traffic and it seemed when I would lose some ground with a lapper, he would have the same issue with the next lapped rider. It was a fun little cat and mouse game. He eventually let me by and then the rolls were reversed for a little bit. I was able to create a little space between us and that’s where it finished.

I was excited that I was able to end the season with a win, and a solid overall finish. The beginning of the year was doom and gloom, but the last few months have been a turn around for me. I’ll take my old #243 back and my new white rocketship and hopefully carry that momentum to 2015.

back in A class for 2015. Thanks to everyone that makes the FMHSC the best series around.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Gibber

Re: Carbondale Race Report(s)

#2 Post by Gibber » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

What a great finish to a really fun and competitive season. However, I really feel bad for Shredder. Laid his bike down on the practice lap and Jacked his wrist so he couldn't race. Thanks Shredder for the words of encouragement at the start line.

I agree with Brad. The start through the soft tilled dirt before going in to the woods was great. I was a little concerned prior to the race so I did about 5 or 6 practices through it and it paid off.

My bike did not start like has been and what I thought was going to be the hole shot ended up being about an 18th position start. I was pretty sure this was not going to be a very good day for me at this point but I passed about 6 riders in the soft dirt before the woods alone.

Tight woods is really my favorite and I usually do pretty good picking the better lines. Carbondale this year was perfect. There were several opportunities to pass in the woods if you were ready to take advantage of them when they came up. So I started picking off riders as fast as I could.

Came through scoring on my 1st lap in 10th. I figured that was probably as good as it was going to get for me as long as I could hold my pace.

Well, I kept moving up. I tried to pay close attention to the course markings. Great job Paul and crew. It really help me stay on the gas longer because I knew what was coming. and the banked corners in some of the open grassy areas were a blast.

Ended up in a battle with 1057 Kevin Brown for the last 2 laps. I just could not shake him. I would put some distance on him in the woods but he would catch me in the open. Finally in one of the open areas about 1/2 way thru our last lap Kevin had bigger balls than me and passed me on a turn. I am pretty sure my bike could have out run him but not with me on it so I lost my spot.

I stayed on his tail pipe the remainder of the lap all the way through the chat piles to the last hill climb after the tight right turn before the last leg to the finish line thru the soft dirt again. 1057 got away from me and I lost sight of him when he made the right turn but when I came around he had stalled on the hill and was kicking the dog snot out of it trying to get it started. I was able to cut to his right and tractor up the hill to the final stretch. Now all I had to do is keep it rubber down and not do anything stupid.

I was able to keep that position and to my surprise crossed the finish line in 3rd. However, turned out to be 4th do to a scoring error. Oh well, still ended up in 5th in the points for the old guys.

Good job to those AA, A, 900 and 800 riders that passed me during the race. My race is just as important to me as your is to you and I sure don't want to hold you up. I appreciate you being patient (places to pass were somewhat limited) and I appreciate you executing the pass quickly when there was an opportunity. I have no interest in laying my bike down, running in to a tree or letting a 1000 rider pass me to let you pass. Thanks for working with me.

Congrats to the top ten Vet 40's. It was a great season and I really had a blast racing with all of you as well as getting to know you. I hope to see everyone at the banquet in January and lining up with you at our first race.

Well that should be plenty.

Thanks to Olathe Ford, Letko KTM, Adrian Steel, Foust Fleet Services, Supreme Corporation, Knapheide and Kranz of KC.

GO TEAM LETKO! Oops. We already went! :lol:
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Advantage Ford Commercial Sales
www.advantagefordcommercial.com
steve@gibbscommercialtrucks.com
785-760-3479 Cell

JayShafe8

#3 Post by JayShafe8 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:50 pm

I agree with the previous two posts on the dirt at Carbondale. It was perfect in the woods and the new back section was a testimony to that.

My old man and I arrived at the race around 10 with plenty of time to get ready and take a practice lap, which is a benefit of not having a split race. I took my practice lap with Macon, which was basically a race lap, but we found some good lines and got comfortable. I usually have issues with getting arm pump and I have found that getting arm pump during the practice lap and then massaging out your arms afterwards avoids the arm pump during the first few laps.

I put on my costume (Superman) after the riders meeting and went to the line. I had put a tree branch on my row to mark my spot, but someone moved it. Thankfully Ethan moved over and allowed me to squeeze into a spot near my original. The bike fired right away and I got second into the first corner. Unfortunately, the leader washed out in the second turn (which was a very soft and slick corner all race) and I blowed into his downed bike. By the time I got going I was near last. I spent my entire first lap struggling to catch people and avoid making mistakes. Dead last after the first lap, I had my work cut out for me. I put my head down and charged for 3 straight laps making passes on all three. I ended up 3rd for the day with Brad (cat costume) catching and passing me on the last lap, he was flying! Good job to all racers, it sounded like a safe race without any major injuries. Thanks to the racers being lapped for doing an awesome job. I had no issues with lapping!

Anyways, I am happy with how I finished after a rough start. Moral of the day, never give up and keep on racing!

Thanks to Dan and all of the race promotors and workers on making 2014 a great race season. I cannot wait for next year!
Last edited by JayShafe8 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jared Shafer
A Class | 8
KTM '17 300xc

Thanks to: Letko Cycles, Moose Racing, Bullet Proof Designs, Motorcare, Decalworks, HeavyD, Mika Metals, EVS, TiLube and Pumpkin Patch Racing.

Gibber

#4 Post by Gibber » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Jay,

I think you were one of the fast guys who passed me. Pretty sure I saw the Superman Costume. I know you had to wait on me a little bit. Hope it wasn't too long. I was in a heated race with 1057 myself.

Thanks for being patient and making it quick when a spot came up.

Damn you guys are fast!!!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
785-760-3479 Cell

swedishfishmx

#5 Post by swedishfishmx » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Gibbs, I think I was right behind him when we made the pass on you two, could be wrong tho. I always try the stuff that happens in these races, but it's pretty hard.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Gibber

#6 Post by Gibber » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Naw. You're not that fast! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. I think you're right. there were two of you but I missed the catwoman costume. :shock:

So did I do a pretty good job of getting the BLANK out of the way? I hope so. I think the fast guys passing us helped me. A lot of guys get kind of messed up when you guys come up on us and I think I do pretty good for both of us.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
785-760-3479 Cell

swedishfishmx

#7 Post by swedishfishmx » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:47 am

no I wasn't catwoman...I was a cat with a poptart body and a rainbow tail....:lol:

Just in case everyone else was confused. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing

Gibber

#8 Post by Gibber » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks for clearing that up Brad. I was definitely confused! When you and Jay went by it was all just a blur! :? Wait a minute, that is just my eyesight. Didn't have my glasses on. I am in the "Old Man's Class" you know? :wink:

Don't worry we all get there someday. Sure did have fun racing and getting to know everybody. Looking forward to how the class stacks up next year. Maybe I can beat Shredder! Not likely though, he is toooooooo damn stubborn. :shock:

See you guys at the banquet.

P.S. There are some of us planning a Chadwick ride the weekend after Thanksgiving. Should be a pretty good group. The more the merrier!
GO TEAM LETKO!
Steve "Gibber" Gibbs
#736 C-Vet 2017
#1001 Vet-40 2016
#1036 Vet-40 2015
#1036 Vet-40 2014
#836 Sportsman 2013
#936 Trailerider 2012
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
785-760-3479 Cell

shredder

#9 Post by shredder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:10 pm

I pulled up at dark Saturday night. Sat there for a short while at the closed gate. Stacey and I kept seeing headlights in the distance so we figured out the gate was unlocked so we pulled in and went over in the direction of the ever constantly moving headlights. It turns out someone was still out there in the high winds in the dark moving dirt with the tractor for all of us to go out and play in the next day. Man THAT is true dedication! Nice job on the track this year guys and gals - thank you bunches!!! Epic track - best I've seen there.

We pull in and get settled and I find out that Tom Brunholtz and JP and wife are already set up. My gennie won't fire up and stay running so JP helps out and we check out all the obvious - it was cool when JP noticed and admired my chrome "Mr Gasket" in line fuel filter. We crawled around under the rig and eventually figured out that dust had built up under the generator armature brushes and at start up no 120 volts were detected so it kept shutting itself down and flashing an appropriate code. CRAP. The whole time Tom is yelling "Call Donnells!!...Have you tried calling Donnell's?" - what a hoot! In the end JP save the day and has us plug into his generator - Thanks man!

I hooked up with Bob Angel saturday morning and headed out to do a practice - wow that moist dirt was the bomb! There is no better soil anywhere! I almost felt bad riding thru it!! HA HA! I was trying to get my Carbondale timing back so I would stop fighting the corners and get the flow of things. At the first chat pile I top the climb and started turning right instead of left. My front tire was flat and when I grabbed too much front it slips out and I endo and my Husky bucks me off. (shut up Tom - it doesn't matter HOW it got flat at this point anymore - right?)

It was quite a fall and I wasn't ready for it. I hit the ground so hard I actually bounced. I hit the ground before I even knew I was in trouble. My Husky saw I was in trouble so it came down there immediately after me and slams down on top of of me to keep me protected from any trees or aliens or something I guess. I shout at the damn bike but it won't get off me so we both slide down into the deep ravine together. The whole time I'm thinking Are you kidding me????????????????????

Bob is horrified and starts yelling down to me. I try to yell back "I got this!", but it hurts to breath in deeply much less yell anything out. I'm still struggling to get the bike off me. Bob helps me get the bike spun around, my glasses straight, underwear turned around and we get everything pointed in the right direction again and I notice not a scratch on the bike!!!... well except for my rear fender being busted off. OH well it wouldn't be racing if I didn't leave some plastic behind - right? Anyway I get going but I just can't get my foot to shift - can't get my left hand to work the clutch right. I keep pushing but my foot and hand is getting weaker and weaker. The pain is getting worse and worse and I just can't ride thru it. I realize I'm not racing - no way. I parked the bike at camp and the gang had the front flat fixed in no time but I'm starting to feel shaky. I decided to hop on the ATV (with helmet donned) and I did make it up to the starting line to get everyone as jacked up as I could and then hobbled back to camp and scoured the place for my precious advil. (Hey thanks to Gibber for letting me know where his stash was - Thanks dude you rock!) I was hurting.

Turns out I bruised my left heel, broke my left wrist, broke my left metatarsal bone in my left foot, sore ribs, HUGE gnarly bruising, shattered my ego and completely destroyed my confidence! I will tell you - THAT takes some doing my man!!!!

It was weird seeing Ed on his bike and me on the side lines this time!

It was cool to see the twinkle in T Climbers eyes come back as he rode the epic track - I really enjoyed that. Mr Fenton is a straight up nice guy.

Wire Fryer made an appearance but his company suffered personal damage also - not exactly sure what, why, how - etc. I had my own hands full.

I did see Ryan Grun after the race and man he looked like he had a truly epic day! His face looked like he was dragged by wild horses instead of dirtbiking! He gave me the down low and made me miss being out there. I really was looking forward to motioning with my classmates and banging fenders but hell it hurt just to stand still! OH well.........
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

J.P.

#10 Post by J.P. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Hey shredder,
Glad I was able to help out with the generator situation, or lack there of. :roll:
Sorry you weren't able to race Sunday (due to injuries), get rested up and healed so we'll see you at the banquet.
It may not hurt to get the Husky fixed up over the winter either, so you're ready for next season, should be a good one.
J.P. Fay
2011 KTM 350 XC-F

#73 - 2016 - 2017 (Transferred to CORCS)
#785 - 2015
#1050 - 2014
#787 - 2013
#785 - 2012, 2011

Thanks to my sponsors:
Atlas Brace, Acerbis, OGIO, Dragon Alliance, Dunlop Tires, Torch1 Racing, Braking and Decal Works.