Sweep riders review

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Sweep riders review

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 am

Our series runs on volunteers. To get those volunteers we offer work points. There is no real incentive to do a good job, just put in the time. I just want to remind everyone how critical it is that sweep riders ride the entire time and look for injured riders, broken down riders, or ribbon that has been knocked down. Lately there have been examples of riders stuck on the course for an entire race, ribbon knocked down and not replaced, and just general laziness on the part of the sweep rider. Those of you who rode sweep these first races, don't be offended as it was various people and I have talked to them individually if I could.

Here is what I give every sweep rider before a race so they know just what to expect...

Sweep:
Sweep riders must have ribbon with them. Tools and other items are optional. It works best to section the course in thirds or so and have each person ride that section over and over. This brings the time down greatly for finding down or stuck riders. If there is an extra sweep rider they should ride full laps. NO SWEEP RIDER SHOULD PASS A DOWN RIBBON. Sometimes sweep riders get to having fun racing their buddies and ignore the job they are there to do. If this happens, no work average will be given.
If possible a sweep rider should be sent out during practice and for sure around 30 minutes before race time to make sure the course is clear and all the ribbon is still up. This may not be necessary on two race days.
A sweep rider needs to be waiting at scoring and leave as soon as the race is over. This will help make sure everyone makes it in safe and let scoring know it is okay to print results. Each section rider should ride their section one last time and then head in. They can ride the course or come straight back. All sweep riders must check in with the promoter and be released.

Riding sweep is fun and there is no reason for it not to be but put in the work!
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!