Merwin news and notes

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Merwin news and notes

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:42 am

The new owner at Midwest Extreme Park has really outdone himself with the improvements. There is a brand-new concession stand with a sheltered area just to hang out, the entire property is nicely mowed, there's new gravel, the motocross track has been redone and well laid out for good racing.

The track is coming along nicely thanks to the help yesterday of Chuck, Jacob, and Mason Martin who spent a full day trimming and clearing trail. On race day the motocross track will be completely tilled. The track is 1.1 miles long and we are using 1.02 of it. The course starts with approximately half mile of motocross track then just over one quarter mile of woods transfer section then onto the mowed, trimmed, and possibly tillled grass track which is just over 1/2 mile long. Only the beginning and end are the same. Everything else is brand-new layout. After that there is flowing woods trails which lead to a short grass track section then back into more wooded trails. Some trails are the same by necessity but many areas are using freshly cut or old unused trails. 3.5 miles are complete with a total expected to be right at 5 miles. The goal of this is to have the majority of riders running between 15 and 20 minute left times which will work out to actually coming off the track at the one hour mark. 15 extra minutes to get the track cleared and the next race started on time.

Moto racers and woods racers will both be very happy with this course. All skill levels will love this track! Don't forget there will be open riding for a small fee of $10 on Saturday from Noon to 4:00.

Peewee racers have not been overlooked. There is a way cool mini motocross track that was built for pit bike racing. It is very well laid out and will be very fun for all levels of peewee racers. No big bikes are allowed on the track unless you are following your little one. This track is also well prepped. There will be two races starting at 9 AM. Practice will be open for the little racers at 8:30. After the peewee race it will be much safer if the little guys park their bikes for the day. Entry fee is $10 for PW.

Scoring and sign up will be inside the motocross track and all access MUST be through the tunnel under the finish line jump! This is the only safe route in and out. Sign-up will begin early at 8 AM so take advantage of it. Entry fee is $35 for all racers except AA $45 and Junior $20. Just the one entry fee for both races. Practice starts as soon as you're signed up. The first race will be at 10:45 AM. The full day's schedule is on the homepage.

Do not pass up the opportunity to try this new to us 45 minute format. Don't forget there will be two season points given on this day. There will be only one set of awards based on motocross style scoring. Plaques to approx. top five in each class.

Come Saturday and ride, camp, and just hang out with friends and family.

The brand-new concession stand is not ready for business yet so Hilltop Catering will be there Sunday with lots of snacks and other goodies.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Re: Merwin news and notes

#2 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:55 am

For those who come across on 68 highway, there is a message sign that says to expect delays this Saturday and Sunday for the "Ciderfest" at the Louisburg Cider Mill that is east of Louisburg 6 miles. Not sure what time it becomes an issue so plan accordingly. Their website shows it from 8AM to 6PM both days. I don't know the area well but Google maps shows several roads that parallel 68 to the south but I imagine they are all gravel. Someone from the area should chime in here if you know a way to avoid that area.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#3 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 pm

The official times for riding Saturday will now be from Noon to 4:00. The fee is $10. After 4:00 the workers will be prepping the moto track so no riders are allowed. The woods and grass track will still be available to ride. The course can easily loop back where it exits onto the moto track and right back to the woods. This will be clearly marked at 4:00. To exit the course you will need to follow the woods about .3 miles which will exit you directly north of the pits and will avoid the moto track.

The EMT will be there from Noon to 4:00 on Saturday. Recreational riders will still be allowed to ride the woods areas of the property but there will be no EMT on site during that time. I more intend for this time to be friends and family just enjoying the place and keeping things toned down.

I have been saying the grass track would also be tilled but it now looks like it might be too dry and tilling it would make it terrible to ride. It is pretty good just like it is so we will test an area and see if tilling helps or hurts. I hope this doesn't cause anyone to stay home.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC

It's all good!

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#4 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:13 pm

Holeshot awards from Letko Cycles.

RedBull will be there with the big arch, canopy, and some free samples.

New riders, be sure you take a look under the information tab and read First time rider and 2015 classes so you will know what to expect this weekend.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC

It's all good!