Merwin Race report

General Bike Talk
rj wohlberg

Merwin Race report

#1 Post by rj wohlberg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 am

Anyone? what did ya like about the event, what didnt work, give me some imput for next years event. Maybe some 2 line passing sections.

MGN

Re: Merwin Race report

#2 Post by MGN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 am

Great course RJ.....had a great time!

As a lifelong Hare Squirreler I really appreciate the option of going around the bigger jumps. To many years of my tires firmly planted on the ground. Live engine start is always a fun change of pace as well. My only real disapointment on the day was finding out the Brats/Sausages were sold out at the consession stand. :lol: Thanks for having us out!

CTL450

#3 Post by CTL450 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:52 am

rj wohlberg wrote:Anyone? what did ya like about the event, what didnt work, give me some imput for next years event. Maybe some 2 line passing sections.
Live engine start is always well liked by all. Cant understand why the series doesn't give riders the option. Hands on your head with bike running or dead engine... Would make the start more competitive, in my opinion... As for the course, maybe two lines through the grass track (decision maker of sorts) that come out at the same spot. A few more uphills and down hill sections on the back property would be awesome. The course can be tough to pass on, so maybe a few more hard / easy sections. I'm not a fan of going around the jumps at full speed. If they choose not to go over the jump, they should have some obstacle to navigate as a penalty. Again, just my two cents.

Couple comments on the PeeWee race: We need a separate practice for little 50's and 65's. Too many bigger kids hitting the jumps at speed and power sliding through corners. We had a couple of close calls... No bigger kids on pit bikes in this practice would be a good idea as well... We need a couple of volunteers to be placed in the back section of the woods to make sure no one goes down or needs help. Not trying to knit pick, just constructive suggestions to help make sure the kids have a good time and are as safe as possible...

Very big thanks to all that worked hard to put this event on! Your efforts are very much appreciated. Sure do miss riding at Merwin...

CTL450 / RL50jr.

rj wohlberg

#4 Post by rj wohlberg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 am

CTL450 wrote:
rj wohlberg wrote:Anyone? what did ya like about the event, what didnt work, give me some imput for next years event. Maybe some 2 line passing sections.
Live engine start is always well liked by all. Cant understand why the series doesn't give riders the option. Hands on your head with bike running or dead engine... Would make the start more competitive, in my opinion... As for the course, maybe two lines through the grass track (decision maker of sorts) that come out at the same spot. A few more uphills and down hill sections on the back property would be awesome. The course can be tough to pass on, so maybe a few more hard / easy sections. I'm not a fan of going around the jumps at full speed. If they choose not to go over the jump, they should have some obstacle to navigate as a penalty. Again, just my two cents.

Couple comments on the PeeWee race: We need a separate practice for little 50's and 65's. Too many bigger kids hitting the jumps at speed and power sliding through corners. We had a couple of close calls... No bigger kids on pit bikes in this practice would be a good idea as well... We need a couple of volunteers to be placed in the back section of the woods to make sure no one goes down or needs help. Not trying to knit pick, just constructive suggestions to help make sure the kids have a good time and are as safe as possible...

Very big thanks to all that worked hard to put this event on! Your efforts are very much appreciated. Sure do miss riding at Merwin...

CTL450 / RL50jr.
I noted all of you're points about the Pewees and i agree 100% I also saw the older boy riding in the practice, didnt know what that was all about, thought maybe he was supposed to be a sweep rider? I will keep all of this in mind for next year.

I just looked at the prior peewee results and it looks like they average 9 to 13, we had over 25 signed up. That's a lot of future racer's. i'll split em up next year.
Last edited by rj wohlberg on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rj wohlberg

#5 Post by rj wohlberg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am

MGN wrote:Great course RJ.....had a great time!

As a lifelong Hare Squirreler I really appreciate the option of going around the bigger jumps. To many years of my tires firmly planted on the ground. Live engine start is always a fun change of pace as well. My only real disapointment on the day was finding out the Brats/Sausages were sold out at the consession stand. :lol: Thanks for having us out!
I blame Sam's club for running out of Polish Sausage....how does a store that big run out of polish sausage for sale.

slomojo

#6 Post by slomojo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 am

rj wohlberg wrote:
MGN wrote:Great course RJ.....had a great time!

I blame Sam's club for running out of Polish Sausage....how does a store that big run out of polish sausage for sale.
Probably ran out of pigs in china :lol:
Joe Lederhouse
I said I love it,I didn't say I was good at it.
08 #962
09 #962
10 #762
11 #762
12 #74
13 #1062
14 #1003

El Dog

#7 Post by El Dog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I loved the track (both woods and moto). Not a big jumper, but playing more on them...getting a little braver (stupider)... :shock:
Anyway, I made mention at the race that if I decide to go around a jump I should not be able to do that at full throttle and keep pace with someone who deadlines it; I feel like if a guy/gal can hit one of those doubles and sail over, I should not be able to keep up with him/her or pass them by going around; maybe have something similar to the entry into scoring with a zig-zag of tape....in the first race I was watching as 3 riders came out of the woods and hit the last double before scoring...two went over the jump & the guy in the back took the inside line around it and passed the one in front of him and was on the back tire of the other....doesnt seem right.
Live engine start is more fun than dead engine (just my opinion) but I understand the element of surprise we get sometimes whe she doesnt fire on first command...
I love Merwin...3rd times a charm; only completed one lap in each of my first two races there, this time got 5 in and led most of the first lap :D
My ONLY problem with Merwin is that it is 3 hours away...oh...and freshly cleaned/emptied blue huts before a race weekend would be good....peee-yeew

Great Venue!!
El Dog
#1042 ,'10 CRF 250

hotrodllsc

#8 Post by hotrodllsc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

As someone who is about as novice as novice gets, I have to say it was a blast! Plenty of places to move over for the faster riders. The hills were pretty technical but not too bad. The motocross section was a ton of fun! (although I sissed out on the jumps) The high speed sections were smooth and clean sailin. The only problem I had was running out of gas coming back to my truck after the checkered flag! :lol: I understand why but I do miss riding there. Oh, and I have been razzing Klopfenstein with every awesome detail and rubbing it in since he wasn't able to make it. :wink:
Uphoff #924
Slow and easy.

rj wohlberg

#9 Post by rj wohlberg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm

El Dog wrote:I loved the track (both woods and moto). Not a big jumper, but playing more on them...getting a little braver (stupider)... :shock:
Anyway, I made mention at the race that if I decide to go around a jump I should not be able to do that at full throttle and keep pace with someone who deadlines it; I feel like if a guy/gal can hit one of those doubles and sail over, I should not be able to keep up with him/her or pass them by going around; maybe have something similar to the entry into scoring with a zig-zag of tape....in the first race I was watching as 3 riders came out of the woods and hit the last double before scoring...two went over the jump & the guy in the back took the inside line around it and passed the one in front of him and was on the back tire of the other....doesnt seem right.
Live engine start is more fun than dead engine (just my opinion) but I understand the element of surprise we get sometimes whe she doesnt fire on first command...
I love Merwin...3rd times a charm; only completed one lap in each of my first two races there, this time got 5 in and led most of the first lap :D
My ONLY problem with Merwin is that it is 3 hours away...oh...and freshly cleaned/emptied blue huts before a race weekend would be good....peee-yeewGreat Venue!!
I had a huge issue with my porta pot guy, i called him tuesday morning to get them cleaned, he said no prob. ill see ya in the morning, Friday rolled around and i start the panic calling. I called 20 times between Friday morning and Sunday....no show. So if you got their early Saturday you got to see me dumping in more water in each one and loading them up with pine sol. They smelled like a pine forest......for about an hour. i still cant get ahold of him to find out what went wrong
Not many options out here in the boonies.
Guess if it was all fun and games everyone would own a track, right.

Martinbrosracing

#10 Post by Martinbrosracing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Rj,
Had a blast, hope to see it for many years too come. With a pee wee (#169) and a junior (#1125) we will be supporting Merwin for as long as it is available. Please keep my number handy as we live in Drexel, and if you need help in the future just shout.

Chuck 913-709-6961