Course marking

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Course marking

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:34 am

I just feel like I should take the time to point out to all of you that these first two races were marked almost entirely by Jadan and Grayson on Fridays before the races. I have an overall layout in mind and I give them direction on where the course will go but it is actually those two who put up almost every arrow, block intersections, ribbon off stuff, and do the trimming. If you like the way things are arrowed at any race, take a minute and tell the workers/promoter. Affirmation goes a long way and is tied pretty close with enthusiasm.

If you actually pay close attention you will realize that each arrow points the same amount as the curve/corner you are about to come to. Down arrow means you are about to go down enough that you need to know about it. Double down means pay attention as there is likely a sharp drop or G out. Danger arrows are used sparingly so that you believe them when you see them.

Often the main line is marked but a better inside line etc. is marked by hanging about a two foot piece of ribbon from a tree on the inside. This is done so that people who study the course on practice can have an advantage and hopefully teach others to use practice instead of racing it. First place in practice has no point value. Rules have to be in place for cutting the course but for the most part if you can go just inside a tree and make a pass, you are fine. If your creative line makes that marked corner look like the letter D then I would say you need to ride the long way around. I really don't think we have much of an issue with it.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

swedishfishmx

Re: Course marking

#2 Post by swedishfishmx » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Zero issues with arrows at Walters. I love the options in the corners. I loved how you could plan out and not use the main line in spots to create passing opportunities. Walters is my favorite for that.

Great job by all involved.
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing