Melvern work averages and percentiles

General Bike Talk
Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

Melvern work averages and percentiles

#1 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:37 am

I think I have all the work averages added for Melvern. Make sure I have you in there.

Each year this race throws the percentiles way off and I really don't fully understand why. I have gone in and adjusted them so that they seem more believable. If you looked at them last night or early this morning, you may want to check again.
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

2WheelsTony

Re: Melvern work averages and percentiles

#2 Post by 2WheelsTony » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:53 am

maybe...I need to be re-schooled on how these are computed, but they seemed more accurate before adjustment...? :? For example, it took me 2:13:19 to complete 6 laps, or, 133.33 minutes. It took Sir Jadan only 1:55:57 to complete 6 laps, or, 116 minutes. 116/133.33 = 87% (ish), which is where it was originally. If I do the math the same way for Sir Jadan and Mr. Ladd (2:06:38/2:16:18), I get the same 92.9%. Am I doing it right...? :shock:

I know, I know!!! I don't even have a dog in this fight, only ONE race back and I'm causing trouble, but my O.C.D. often gets the best of me...sorry... And it's courses like this - not brutally technical/right wrist controlled - that usually make us all "faster" in comparison to the winners, so I expected everyone to be "out of class range" on percentile.

OK, you can kick me next time you see me... :P
If it's got 2 wheels, I wanna ride it!

'15 KTM 200XC-W #541
2010 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
2014 Giant TCR Advanced
2013 Giant XTR Advanced 27.5"
2012 Felt F65x
2010 Echo Pure

Formerly: #345, 351, 500, 313, 3131, 341
Formerly: Tony B Racer, Tony B Done, Tony B Back, Tony B Gone

Iamdanjohnson
Site Admin

#3 Post by Iamdanjohnson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am

There is one aspect that I don't know the full answer to and that is how MT does the percentiles based on lap times. It is never the full race that is used so it may be that it first averages the lap times for each person then it uses that average for each to compare. What I do know is it is lap times only. If a really fast AA guy did one lap then stopped racing. MT will use that as the 100% time if it was faster than the AA guys who went 6 laps. Every rider gets a percentile based on the laps they actually rode so MT must first average that then post the percentile.

The reason I must adjust it is that it is very hard to get the riders into the right classes if there is an anomaly out there. If I leave it at any point in the year, I get more emails, phone calls, texts, etc than you can possibly imagine from people all fired up that someone is way too fast for the class. It doesn't matter that the person complaining had a way higher than average percentile that day as well. I usually quietly do it about one to two weeks after the event. Because it is so close to the end of the year and so many things are happening, I felt it best to adjust it now and then post that I did it so folks would know what happened.

It is correct that the faster courses will throw things off because in reality they are off. To use the percentile system I pretty much have to adjust that reality back out of it just a bit so things are more consistent. I would also point out that the really twisty tight courses do the same thing. After Carbondale you will see the same high looking percentiles again.

As you all know, I am overly transparent in pretty much everything. I truly don't feel like I own the boat, I am just steering it as best I can. I always want to hear feedback on any issue and that allows me to challenge my own thinking and keep me on the right track. Sometimes I get feedback about an issue that I have already gone through and know the correct path. In those instances it may seem like I am not listening but it is actually just that I already know the outcome and how something has to be.

Tony I have CDO as well so I don't know why you put the letters out of order. I also have ODD. Not the one that is listed on the medical journals. Mine just means odd!
Dan Johnson KTM 250 XC
Thanks to the support I get from Debbie, Jadan, Grayson, and Karly Johnson AND Dunlop, Letko, Cycle Zone, Motorcare.

It's all good!

2WheelsTony

#4 Post by 2WheelsTony » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:25 am

Iamdanjohnson wrote:If I leave it at any point in the year, I get more emails, phone calls, texts, etc than you can possibly imagine from people all fired up that someone is way too fast for the class. It doesn't matter that the person complaining had a way higher than average percentile that day as well.
Yeah...pretty sure I've been that "someone way too fast" due to similar anomaly, so I can imagine & appreciate all you do to keep things as level as a buncha cranky ol' dirt-donkin' spodes demands :)
Iamdanjohnson wrote:Tony I have CDO as well so I don't know why you put the letters out of order. I also have ODD. Not the one that is listed on the medical journals. Mine just means odd!
I'll post my whole list of "diagnoses", some day - THEN you'll understand :P

For now? I'll see if I can dress myself/tie my own shoes without moaning from soreness in time to take part in the Carbondale congestion. Otherwise, I WILL see y'all a whole lot more in 2017!!
If it's got 2 wheels, I wanna ride it!

'15 KTM 200XC-W #541
2010 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
2014 Giant TCR Advanced
2013 Giant XTR Advanced 27.5"
2012 Felt F65x
2010 Echo Pure

Formerly: #345, 351, 500, 313, 3131, 341
Formerly: Tony B Racer, Tony B Done, Tony B Back, Tony B Gone