WTB or borrow CDI for my 2006 KTM 250 XCW....

Sell your Stuff here
Harleykids

WTB or borrow CDI for my 2006 KTM 250 XCW....

#1 Post by Harleykids » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Bought a well used bike from one of the members on here, and have spent the last 3 weeks replacing broken, bent, and worn out parts.

Handle bars were bent - replaced them.

Triple trees - PO didnt install spacer/dust shield on lower bearing, so headstock wore a 1/8" deep groove in the lower triple tree clamp!
Replaced bearings correctly.

2T pipe smashed against the frame within the first 6", so performance suffered. Replaced pipe with new one.

Mounts bent, rebent them and rewelded them.

Gas tank has screw run thru it above expansion chamber, removed screw, replaced gas tank.

Shortly after, the stator promptly burnt out and melted...replaced it with new OEM one, after spending an hour dressing and die cutting crank end threads where PO cross threaded crank nut securing flywheel! You could smell the burnt stator when you got within 3 feet of the bike!

Bike has been a bit of a nightmare work in progress...way more wear and tear and frankenstein bike with misc parts. But fun when it runs...!

Anyway, I replaced the stator with 2K2 OEM, and got about 30 mins of good ride time, bike started cutting out (felt electrical on/off, not fuel starvation, etc) then no spark!

Ohmed (new) installed stator, readings were in spec. Ohmed coil, readings in spec.
Continuity checked on all wires, and kill switch disconnected, and Ohmed, works fine.

Ohmed spark plug cap, 5.3K, looks good. Cut off 1/4" of plug wire, reinstalled cap.
Changed to a known good spark plug....still no spark.

Cant check CDI, and neither can Letko or Freedom, so thats useless.

So looking for some help here, if anyone has a spare CDI that will work on an 06 250 XCW, or if they can let me borrow theirs to see if I get spark and bike starts, that would be great! Have no problem paying to borrow one, so I can confirm its the CDI before I order a new one.

I figure the old stator zapped the CDI, or at least damaged it where it was borderline about to go out.
Old stator probably over taxed the OVP and OCP components inside the CDI, and then the new stator delivered the coupe de grace.

Or any advice?

Thanks all!
Jason

rgerding

Re: WTB or borrow CDI for my 2006 KTM 250 XCW....

#2 Post by rgerding » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 am

I'd say you are on the right track. Although there is one more thing you might check if you haven't already. Pull the flywheel and check the flywheel key. Chances are better that it is the CDI though. I don't have one but suggest searching on Ebay. You probably can find one there. Good chance they were the same for lots or years and models.

Harleykids

Re: WTB or borrow CDI for my 2006 KTM 250 XCW....

#3 Post by Harleykids » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 pm

By flywheel key, you.mean the woodruff key that indexes the flywheel onto the crank, correct?

When I installed the new stator a week ago, the key was in perfect shape. But I will check it again just to be safe!

Also going to take my coil to Olathe Suzuki, as they have a coil tester there (Letko doesnt...)

Thx!