Melvern Race Report

General Bike Talk
gcat7

Melvern Race Report

#1 Post by gcat7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm

A whole lot of effort went into getting Melvern's track ready and it certainly showed. Robert & the gang did an outstanding job in the enduro section and the rest of the track too. These guys were busting their asses during the race with re-directing traffic on deteriorating areas. If there was an issue, these guys we on it! I can't thank them enough for putting the fastest track on the circuit together. I really like riding there, thanks guys!

on to the report...

The 700 crew was a little light today in turn out but the race was on. Right after Ryan Salmans (aka the unibomber) screamed "Walker is going down.", the board dropped. bike fire immediately, and around the tire we went...Walker with he hole shot, Salmans on his tire and Me with a decent start finally, ripping into the 3 spot. The first few miles we we're simply hauling mail for a bunch of off dudes. I was thinking to myself I sure hope this pace doesn't last he entire race. It was wheel to wheel, hard core, not give an inch racing. At the last creek crossing it was diverted to the right and the rise was greasy as a Paris Hilton baby oil party. Walker made it trough no problem, Salmans and I compared boot sizes quickly but I had just enough traction to squeak by him for the 2 spot thru the checker.

Lap 2- Walker & I wheel on wheel when he ducked into the 1st hard line and I took the sweeper to the left. I was interesting we talked about this before the race and said whoever is lead we'll each take a line & see whats faster. Well the sweeper to the left was much faster & I took the lead and never looked back for a 1st place finish.

Thanks all for the fun event!
Gcat
Greg Catanzaro
2019 #55
2018 #574
2017 #740, #574
2016 #1074
2015 #740

Weissbeck

Re: Melvern Race Report

#2 Post by Weissbeck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:46 am

Wishes do come true

Almost every race I find myself saying, “I wish we were racing Melvern”. Then I pass exit 160 and continue driving for another couple of hours, but not today.

Felt really good today; pushed the water on Saturday no beer, took some potassium pills, didn’t stop for cappuccino and donuts, had a protein snack, bought some hand protection from 1060 pitted next to me, have a new back tire, weather is great, Lets go racing.

20 guys on the line for the start of Vet 40, I know this because Wire fryer was flashing the signal up and down the start line, always nice to see a familiar face. I got the start I wanted, fell in behind 1075 pace was good, train was formed. So here is where it gets real FUN. My buddy always says he takes the hard line, “you know they are really never that hard”. So you know the one I take, I do my first superman over the bars, my front tire sticks in the mud and the bike lands on my candy coating. Broke my Visor, but other than that the only damage was the rest of the class passed me.

Still feeling good got going and passed back a few class mates for 15th Place after first lap. I’ll leave out the part on how I had to apologize to Bill after roosting him while he was down. Not once but three times.

Mid pack racing was good battled with the usual suspects. Crashed I think two more times, stalled a couple of times. Course was excellent!!

One think to keep in mind. Practice Lap should start at the start of the race not the end. I would have been upset if I lost a position due to non-race riders on the course. I get that the enduro section is fun, but don’t race the guys finishing up, I could have been killed in all that flying action.

Great course, Great day. Thanks for yet another Great Venue. Remember it is always better to be seen then to be viewed.

Troy Weissbeck (1014)