Walkie Talkies?

General Bike Talk
shredder

Walkie Talkies?

#1 Post by shredder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Dan I am running in the seniors and when I come through scoring because I'm not wearing my glasses I can only see the board if it's between 18 to 23 feet in distance, no sun shinning on it and there is no one in front of me as well as no one on my tail... So what I'm saying is I very very seldom get to receive that important information of where I'm at or how I'm doing... catching up or getting run down (which is usually the case).

My question is first are walkie talkies legal to talk to the wife and get some real up to date info, and second what you think (in your opinion) about it.

I have these walkie talkies that only have one ear piece and you both talk and listen through the same ear piece. I know it sounds weird but they work quite well. We use them to work in insanely high decibel environments and we can wear them under our high quality ear muffs and still be able to communicate without screaming our seeing the other persons mouth move. The work environment where we use these things is much like trying to work 40 feet behind a jet engine. You can scream at the top of your lungs and the other guy "might" hear something. It's much safer to know what's going on with my other workers.

I don't see any unfair advantage to getting the same info that's posted and it could help with getting downed rider info to the trailer or emt's as well.

Am I missing anything here? I just cant stand not knowing when I'm out there all by myself wondering if I'm catching up or if I'm getting caught...Ya know?

Jump in here guys and please give me your 2 cents... :wink:
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

bshack

Re: Walkie Talkies?

#2 Post by bshack » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Just about every form of motor sports has 2 way communication. Telemetry seems to be a sore topic though. Unless we have posted rules banning radio comm, any FCC legal 2 way should be acceptable. I would point out that if we run any races close to a quarry, you may want to make sure that the quarry is not active with explosives on the scheduled race day! :lol:
Brad Hackett #968
2013 Husqvarna TXC 310R
"I love those Red Heads"!

tclimber

#3 Post by tclimber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Huh :?
Finally a two digit number 75 for 2012

shredder

#4 Post by shredder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

See Jeff it"s like this... I wear a walkie talkie that has only an ear piece and the wife wears the type with a headset. The signal is very weak so we probably won't be able to communicate except when we are close together - ie. when I'm passing her at scoring. The plan is that I give out a "whoop" and she hears that I'm close by and relays what the screen says after I pass through scoring... So I will know what position I'm in, whether I'm gaining or losing ground AND she can give me the "all clear" when the cabana boys have left camp and I can return to the trailer. Cool! ? :wink:

Shoot I have so many of these on the same signal that I could even give you one and you could listen in and maybe get your Mojo back and start lining up on the starting line again!
BRAAAAP!
Dennis Tschirhart - #1000 something

If your going to scuff it, scratch it, crack it or break it, always do the best job you can!

tclimber

#5 Post by tclimber » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 pm

I may make a comeback next year I am training up for the ms 150 in sept I will be in great shape by next year I miss all you guys maybe in better financial shape next year I cant afford to be off work even a couple of weeks next year might look brighter never know if we get an ice storm I might be able to afford one of those sweet huskys :lol:

Ed M

#6 Post by Ed M » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

I first saw walkie talkies in use during a peewee race at LACR in Southern Cal back in '92. One of the peewee dads had mounted a receiver inside his kids helmet then proceeded to yell at his kid during the entire race. Felt sorry for the kid, I bet he never stayed with dirt bikes, and his dad probably never understands why it wasn't fun for him. Anyway if used only during the pitting/scoring process I don't see any issues with this.

Jeff good luck with the MS-150 this year. Is it being run in Kansas or Missouri this time?
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

tclimber

#7 Post by tclimber » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 pm

this on is in kansas olatha to lawrence and another group rides from topeka to lawrence should be a challenge

Ed M

#8 Post by Ed M » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Dennis, sorry for hijacking your thread...........

Jeff, any chance you could start a new thread in off topic with a link so I can sponsor you on your ride. I'm sure others on here would like to do the same.
Ed M

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try do something incredibly stupid

2013 KTM 350XCFW
#1086 for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015......
#786 for 2011
#786 for 2010
#906 for 2009
#1006 for 2008

tclimber

#9 Post by tclimber » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 pm

sure Ed I am on face book but can put a link on here that would be awesome thanks

swedishfishmx

#10 Post by swedishfishmx » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:14 pm

I would consider using a walkie talkie to be a distraction, whether from the ear-piece alone or from someone talking in your ear.

Can you not see the scoring board because your eyesight is bad, or because of glare?
Brad Stretz | 243
Husqvarna TC250
Donnell's Motorcycles
DeCal Works
Liechti Racing